Polly Toynbee has this dead right

Don1

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 02:45 pm
Polly Toynbee is a journalist for the British newspaper The Guardian, I often disagree with her views but by christ she is spot on with this. (in my opinion)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1454850,00.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 661 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 04:30 am
She makes so many points so well it is difficult to pick the most outstanding, but for me it is this: "...goodness is in doing good; good intent is no excuse for murderous error."

Joe(not so holy)Nation
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 05:31 am
Joe Nation wrote:
She makes so many points so well it is difficult to pick the most outstanding, but for me it is this: "...goodness is in doing good; good intent is no excuse for murderous error."

Joe(not so holy)Nation

A very thought provoking article. I have to agree with what Joe said.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 09:06 am
I agree that it is a very thought provoking article.

One of the thoughts it provoked in me was that you could change "Catholic church" to "American public school system" and the article would be equally true in regard to the teaching of contraception.

I've read similar criticisms of Mother Theresa before - that if she had handed out birth control instead of prayers that she would have been much more effective.

But don't we all operate within the confines of our beliefs?

And I don't just mean religious beliefs.

Is it better to do nothing?

In my own little corner in my own little chair I do what I can with the awarness that I can't do everything.

Does the fact that I can only make a small difference mean that I shouldn't try to make some kind of difference?

I need to think on this some more.....
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 01:37 pm
I just realised I posted this in two different forums, it's the senility setting in sorry peeps.
0 Replies