2

The 'Holy Ghost'; He, She...or "It"?

1  
Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2019 01:27 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Well, there is the pronoun "it," which, conveniently, rhymes with bullsh*t.

Well, yes. Why would a unique entity have gender in the first place? What would it do with it?
vikorr

1  
Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2019 01:40 am
@roger,
Presumably what single men have been doing with it for millennia.

1  
Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2019 04:30 am
@MadJW,
MadJW wrote:

The Hebrew and Greek words used mean "breath" or "wind"; unseen forces.

You're saying the Holy Spirit is some sort of divine fart. That must be why people say "Jesus!" when they get a whiff of a particularly pungent air biscuit.

1  
Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2019 04:31 am
@MadJW,
MadJW wrote:

His spirit was in Job's nose!

Jesus!
MadJW

1  
Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2019 10:41 pm
@vikorr,
"@MadJW,
I'm guessing then, that as you believe him to be a spirit / power, that he is everywhere / in everything. That raises a question - how can one be 'in his presence', is it just a significant concentration of his power?

As an aside, in relation to your use of the pronoun 'He', I would be careful of anything written many years after the fact (ie. the bible) - particularly in a patriarchal society. Anyone being moved by the spirit of God, in such a society, is likely to interpret God as male, no matter what the reality. And if 'He' is a spirit/power, then 'He' is almost certainly gender neutral (having no need of organs of either sex)."

No need to assume- and gender is a metaphor, too; no such thing as a woman dominated society- except legend about 'Amazons'....

MadJW

1  
Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2019 10:43 pm
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

As an aside, in relation to your use of the pronoun 'He', I would be careful of anything written many years after the fact (ie. the bible) - particularly in a patriarchal society. Anyone being moved by the spirit of God, in such a society, is likely to interpret God as male, no matter what the reality. And if 'He' is a spirit/power, then 'He' is almost certainly gender neutral (having no need of organs of either sex).

No need to assume- and the gender, too, is likely a metaphor: no such thing as a woman- dominated society- except in myths about Amazons...

MadJW

1  
Reply Sun 6 Jan, 2019 10:46 pm
izzythepush wrote:

MadJW wrote:

His spirit was in Job's nose!

Jesus!

JESUS was in Job's nose?

1  
Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 01:32 am
@MadJW,
You do know that Jesus wasn't just someone who went round doing massive farts. He did other stuff too, some of his burps were pretty spectacular.
coluber2001

2  
Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 11:21 am
Those who imagine that " holy spirit" is some kind of a ghost with objective reality and super power is suffering from spiritual materialism or else is a five-year-old.

That would be like imagining "school spirit" as a ghost who hangs out in the girls locker room, a sort of perverted, ghostly voyeur.

Spirit is always a subjective experience, whether divine or otherwise, and I see no reason to project it and assign it its own objective reality.

1  
Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 11:31 am
@coluber2001,
But you're not a nutter like some on this thread.
coluber2001

1  
Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 12:46 pm
That's what I want on my tombstone, "He wasn't a nutter".

1  
Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 12:59 pm
@coluber2001,
Spike Milligan wanted. "I told them I was ill" put on his but the council wouldn't allow it.

MadJW

1  
Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 09:03 am
@vikorr,
vikorr wrote:

Of course!

MadJW

1  
Reply Sun 13 Jan, 2019 09:05 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The Holy Spirit got a woman pregnant.

That is masculine in the biological sense of the word.

The "POWER" of the "Most High" did- as Gabriel explained it to Mary.
God- or ONE of 'Them'- didn't have sex with her.