dreams- what do they mean?

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:57 am
I hope I don't dream true, cause if I do we're in trouble.. Smile

We were on a cruiseship. In the dream I knew that the luxury boat we were on was an island of riches in a sea of poverty. You were there too Smile

The waves were like mountains. One hit the ship and it nearly capsized. The metal gave of heavy creaks as the ship almost came to rest fully on it's side before jolting violently back up. We were all shaken. I looked out the window and saw a second wave, much bigger than the first, and I remember hearing the certainty spread among the passengers that this wave would swallow us. The dream ended..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 979 • Replies: 12
No top replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:21 am
Dreams are the effects of your brain running 'defrag' during sleep; all the experiences of life must be catalogued sorted, and 'thinned' by our subconcious, so that we can cope with the weath and impact of daily stimulous to which we are subjected. The lack of rational juxtaposition of these thoughts, sometimes is suficient to catch our attention, even while 'at rest'.

[will I dream.................? - Hal, '2001, A Space Oddyssy']
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:22 am
I thought they meant you were asleep. What do I know.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 09:34 am
I've heard that explanation of what dreams are before BoGoWo, but it does not satisfy me.

I believe what we experience as dreams is the contents of our minds viewed without the coherency of our conciousness. When you're awake you have thoughts. Dreams are the same only more vivid because external influence is dampened to a minimum. Like drawing the curtains when you're watching a film...
0 Replies

val

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 05:56 pm
Re: dreams- what do they mean?
Cyracuz

Prof. Val is going to explain your dream, and for free.

Quote:
We were on a cruiseship. In the dream I knew that the luxury boat we were on was an island of riches in a sea of poverty.

You feel guilty for being so tremendously rich and at same time you feel threatened by all the poor people that surround you everywhere, dying of hunger in the streets of Oslo.

Quote:
The waves were like mountains.

Freud said: mountains are a phallic symbol. And waves too. And so on.

Quote:
One hit the ship and it nearly capsized. The metal gave of heavy creaks as the ship almost came to rest fully on it's side before jolting violently back up.

The ship was gay.

Quote:
and I remember hearing the certainty spread among the passengers that this wave would swallow

Man, you are dirty.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 06:04 pm
Dreams are our souls sneezing.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 06:33 pm
If you dream about boats, it means you're going to be run over in a freak tractor accident within a week of the dream.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 06:36 pm
You're thinking about small boats, this was a cruise ship. It could take at least a month before she gets run over.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 06:51 pm
No one knows what your dreams mean better than you. They're essentially an amalgam of your memories, your current brain function (at about 15 percent effectiveness, if that), and nonsense. If you're seriously concerned, then give the information serious consideration: you might come up with something rather deep about yourself.

Aside from that, dreams don't mean anything.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:23 pm
Most of my dreams aren't too hard to figure out. I'm thinking to myself about how I haven't seen some of my old friends for a while and about the new roleplaying game I'm about to join. So dreaming that I'm playing in a roleplaying game with all those old friends doesn't really take sigmeund freud to figure it out.

Still, some of those dreams... like the one where I'm chasing nazis at a "how to host a murder party" chained to my friends wrist. That doesn't make anywhere near as much sense.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 02:30 am
the guidedog wrote:
Quote:
like the one where I'm chasing nazis at a "how to host a murder party" chained to my friends wrist.

And I thought I was in trouble Laughing

Val, now that's just plain fantastic professor. Could you tell all that from one single dream? Laughing I have always wondered if Freud did not think a little too much with his balls from time to time...

Nietzche, I agree that dreams are nonsense. What I cannot figure out is wich nonsense is most exciting and worth my time; dreams or the waking world. Smile
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 03:50 pm
the problem coluber, is when you can't tell the difference!

[choices are always soooo difficult]
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 12:31 pm
There was a PBS thing I watched several years ago about dreams, and I remember them talking at length about some sort of headgear that would help you recognize when you were dreaming and produce what is called "lucid dreams."

Imagine if you could take fantasy vacations (both literally and figuratively) each and every night!
0 Replies