Asceticism

Satyr

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 07:02 am
First PropositionSecond Proposition

Most, due to dictionary definitions and religious extremism, associate asceticism with a complete rejection of pleasure and luxury and a total denial of life itself. But I will propose a new perspective on asceticism that may prove advantageous and attractive to all seeking personal empowerment.

It is true that Buddhism and Christianity have taught an extreme level of self-denial and many other religions and philosophies advocate abstinence as a form of escapism from life's trappings and temptations, but for me one need not become so severe in order to benefit from asceticism's merits.

Asceticism, as I see it, is more akin to athleticism, where both strengthen an individual through pain and suffering but need only be practiced consistently, not continuously, in order to profit from them.

Both athleticism and asceticism require self-control and an exposure to unwanted and mostly undeserved pain and suffering through which a body and a mind gain strength, discipline and stamina, necessary throughout life and under all circumstances.

It isn't a mistake to believe that misery is the sources of all mental and physical beauty given that nature denounces stagnation as death itself and imposes a constant striving and changing through the promise of pleasure.

It may be disturbing for us to acknowledge that nature abhors conformity and lethargy and so rewards struggle and exertion with superiority, that is easily distinguishable in all those exposed to physical and mental suffering and becomes most beneficial to an individual who experiences and survives adversity, but it cannot be denied.

In contrast the effects of comfort and overindulgence can also be plainly noticeable in individuals lacking any contact with suffering and effort; their intellectual naiveté and insecure, over-optimism will bear witness to their limited experiences in a dangerous and indifferent universe, just as their softness of muscle tone and inability to endure physical hardship will reveal their limited experience with physical effort and exertion.

How appropriate that the Greek word ασκησης-askisis[exercise]- is used to denote athleticism but is also the root word for asceticism which denotes a mental exercise or an exertion of the mind.

For what athleticism is for the body, asceticism is for the mind; alike but different only in the focus of their disciplines; interdependent but mutually exclusive in their areas of influence.

To better clarify the relationship between asceticism and athleticism it may be profitable to juxtapose the two.

Athleticism is the training of the body. It hardens flabbiness and denies lethargy through which a body is weakened and becomes soft and vulnerable to external forces and phenomena.

Asceticism is the training of the mind. It invokes mental discipline, focuses energies, and denies apathy and pleasure through which a mind becomes complacent and susceptible to external temptations.
Athleticism does not require a continuous exertion, even if it was possible, but through temporary strain the body becomes more efficient even at rest.

Similarly asceticism does not require continuous self-denial, but through momentary or selective resistance the mind gains discipline and resolve that become helpful even when indulging in pleasure or giving in to need.

The effects of athleticism are hard to ignore since they appear in the empirical world accessible to all, through the senses, equally; acknowledging the benefits of exercise and physical effort and the aesthetically beautiful physical form it leads to cannot be argued away no matter how much we wish to do so.

Reversely, the effects of asceticism are hard to prove since they appear in the mental world accessibly only, through introspection, to the individual; so acknowledging the benefits of cerebral exercise and mental effort and the intellectual symmetry it leads to cannot be confidently argued for.

Despite this, I believe, all can recognize that denial of the will creates a mental framework by which an individual becomes a master of his own being and not merely an instrument of instinctual desire.

A man devoid of all self-restraint and discipline becomes a victim of his own emotions and cravings. Like a rudderless ship he is cast to-and-fro by any subtle wind and becomes a man with no direction and no purpose; a helpless victim of his own whims and a vulnerable prey to clever predators.

For the ship to be controlled a strong rudder is needed and an even stronger captain to direct it. This rudder is mans mind and the captain must be mans intellect.

Final Proposition
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 843 • Replies: 12
No top replies

spendius

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 07:41 am
Satyr:-

I gave that up when you got to personal empowerment.I'm not interested in that.What do I want power for?I wouldn't know what to do with it for a start.

It's no go the Yogi Man
It's no go Blavatsky
All we want is a bank balance
And a bit of skirt in a taxi.(for about three blocks).
0 Replies

Satyr

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 07:52 am
spendius
Quote:
I gave that up when you got to personal empowerment.I'm not interested in that.What do I want power for?I wouldn't know what to do with it for a start.
I know.

Quote:
It's no go the Yogi Man
It's no go Blavatsky
Wanna join?

Quote:
All we want is a bank balance
And a bit of skirt in a taxi.(for about three blocks).
One block dear.
Don't flatter yourself.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 08:10 am

We only have small blocks here.

Wanna join what.Not a monastic order is it.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 11:49 am
The only power that exist and should exist, is the power over yourself.
0 Replies

val

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 05:27 am
Quote:
Ray wrote:

No.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 07:53 am

I'm an ascetic.I have been known to sit and listen to a woman telling me about her hysterectomy.That's pretty ascetic don't you think.
I also once ate one of the little round pink things with the bobbles on out of a box of Bassetts Liquorice Allsorts.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:47 am
Ray wrote:
Quote:

Yes, and why is it not so?
Because many individuals do not even assume that power. That leaves it open for others to usurp it and do whatever they want in your stead.

An example is those who stay home on election day. They do not hold back their vote, as may be their intention. They're giving it to the biggest dog.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 08:36 am
Anybody who wants my vote only has to ask.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 11:08 am
Quote:
No.

Please elaborate.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:12 am
Heh... if no one asks, spendius, then your vote goes to the biggest dawg. Are you ok with that? I for one don't mind much. They're all the same pack of slobbering mangy hounds anyway.. Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:16 am
Whatever you say Cyr.I don't give a flying fornication.
0 Replies

turtlette

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:34 am
bm
0 Replies