Aussie Childhood

pixee

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 12:32 pm
GROWING UP IN AUSTRALIA

I'm talking about hide and seek in the park. The corner milk bar,
hopscotch, billy carts, cricket in front of the garbage bin and
inviting everyone on your street to join in, Skipping, handball, handstands, elastics, bullrush, catch & kiss, footy on the best lawn in the street, slip'n'slide, the trampoline with water on it, hula hoops, stepping
in puddles, mud pies and building dams in the gutter. The smell of the sun and fresh cut grass.

'Big bubbles no troubles' with Hubba Bubba bubble gum. A choc-top. Mr Whippy cone on a warm summer night after you've chased him round the
block.
20 cents worth of mixed lollies lasted a week and pretending to
smoke "fags" (the lollies) was really cool!..

A dollars' worth of chips from the corner take-away fed two people
(AND the sauce was free!!).

Being upset when you botched putting on the temporary tattoo from the bubblegum packet, but still wearing it proudly.

Watching Saturday morning cartoons: 'The Smurfs', 'AstroBoy',
'He-Man', 'Captain Caveman', 'Archie', 'Jem' (truly outrageous!!), 'The Wizard of Oz', 'Banana Man'and 'Heeeey heeeeey heeeeeeey it's faaaaaaat Albert'.
Or staying up late and sneaking a look at the "AO" movie on the
second
telly.

When 'Monkey Magic' with fish face & pigsy had a cult following
Miraculous Mellops. & who could ever forget Degrassi Jnr High?

When around the corner seemed a long way, and going into town seemed like going somewhere. Where running away meant you did laps of the block because you weren't allowed to cross the road??
A million mozzie bites, wasp and bee stings. Sticky fingers, cops and robbers, cowboys and indians, riding bikes and catching tadpoles.

Marco polo in the neighbours' pool ("fish outta water? ""NOOOO!"),
drawing all over the road and driveway with chalk. Climbing trees and building cubbies out of every sheet your mum had in the cupboard.

Walking to school, no matter what the weather. When writing 'I
love....?..'on your pencil case, really did mean it was true love.
"he loves me? he loves me not?" Running till you were out of breath.
Laughing so hard that your stomach hurt. Pitching the tent in the back/front yard. Jumping on the bed. Ghosts stories with the next door neighbours. Pillow fights, spinning round, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for the giggles.

The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team. Water balloons were the ultimate weapon. Cricket cards in the spokes transformed any bike into a motorcycle. Eating raw jelly, making homemade lemonade and
sucking on a Funny Face, Paddle Pop or red Icy Pole.

Remember when there were only two types of sneakers - girls and boys.
Dunlop volleys with the green 'n' gold or blue and the only time you wore them at school was for "sports day." Bloomers in primary school & Scungies under netball skirts.

You knew everyone in your street - and so did your parents!

It wasn't odd to have two or three "best friends" & you would ask
them by sending a note asking them to be your best friend. You didn't sleep a wink on Christmas eve and pretended to sleep for the tooth fairy.

When nobody owned a pure-bred dog. When 50c was decent pocket money. When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for 10c. When nearly everyone's mum was there when the kids got home from school. It was magic when dad
would "remove" his thumb.

When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at the local Chinese restaurant with your family. When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed her or use him to carry groceries and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it.

When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the
fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home.

Basically, we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of
drive-by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat! Some of us are still afraid of them!!!

Remember when decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo" or
dib dib's-scissors, paper, rock.

Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in Monopoly".

Terrorism was when the older kids were at the end of your street with pea-shooters waiting to ambush you.

The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was boy/girl germs, and the worst thing in your day was having to sit next to one.

Where blue light disco's were the equivalent to a Rave, and asking a boy out meant writing a 'polite' note getting them to tick 'yes' or
'no'.

When there was always that one 'HOT' guy/girl.

Having a weapon in school meant being caught with a slingshot. Your biggest danger at school was accidentally walking through the middle of a heated game of "brandies".

Nobody was prettier than your Mum. Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.
Taking drugs meant scoffing orange-flavoured chewable vitamin C's, or swallowing half a Panadol. Ice cream was considered a basic food group.
Going to the beach and catching a wave was a dream come true. If you actually lived there boogie boarding in the white wash made you the next Kelly Slater.
Abilities were discovered because of a "double-dare".
Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest
protectors.
Now, didn't that bring back some fond memories?? If you can remember
most of these, you're an Aussie legend!!!
------------------------
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,861 • Replies: 12
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 05:28 pm
Street cricket

Bungers (Thunders, Pennies, Double Happies and Tom Thumbs - in order of destructive power)

Matchstick races in the creek

School dance practice in the quadrangle - I have to touch a girl!?

Rumours that the sharpies were going to attack the school - they never did, and it was years before I found out what a sharpy was....

Sour school milk in third of a pint bottles (still can't drink unflavoured milk)

Taking empty lemonade bottles to the shop for the 5c deposit and buying mixed lollies - like finding buried treasure.

Playing wars and always being the German because I liked falling off things (I wanted to be a stuntman)

Girls in JCs

Desert boots and grey Californians

That silk Hawaiian shirt craze around 74-75.

Happy shoes

The Goodies at 6 and Dr Who at 6.30, then MASH at 7 (sorry dad, you don't need to watch the news)

Cartoons from 6-11.30 on saturdays then Phantom Agents and then the wide world of wrestling.

Crazes - skate boards, yoyos, dingbats, marbles - that kept coming and going rapidly.

Footy cards - the year I got the full set! Having fifteen Bob Grants and needing just one Graeme Langlands.

The watching the Granville train disaster on telly.

Endless walking on Friday nights hoping to find something exciting to do.

Cocky Lora (or British Bulldog)

Handball

Bloody camps to Bowral or Otford.

Playing with matchbox cars in piles of dirt until the flood (the hose) came and wreaked havoc.

Being amazed by boy dolls (pommy kids had GI Joe's or something and the Action Jackson appeared) never quite got it...

Ticking everything you wanted in the christmas catalogues (and never getting any of it).

Dragster bikes.

Man - I've got a million.
0 Replies

littleozzybloke

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 10:51 pm
once upon a time hey..
Confused ahhhh....the sound of the side gate at 2 am, as the dunny man cam to empty your can...splashin all the way up ya path....

the wars were over...echoes of sir winny..."we shall fight on the beaches...we shall never surrender"....lots of adults about in uniforms....
6pm closing in the pubs....sly grog shops...waiting in taxi's in laneways...

male salvo's rattlin their boxes in the bar....no women allowed (out of respect..as to the blokey language)

door's left open all night for the breeze....feeding the homeless at your door...coupla bob for a drink and a feed....

billy carts.....shy kisses & a bit of a tickle in the dark up the back of the flicks...

Ice being delivered off a horse and cart, like the milky....

hated bein milk monitor.....rasberry jubes to flavour the milk..

at 14...a ten bob note got me a pack of 10 ciggies...a train into the city...can of fosters..go to the pictures...munchies...malted for me sheila..

no home raids...no drug problem...not in oz.....what are street kids?

hmmmm...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 05:54 am
Nice thread, pixee. Very Happy
I'm thinking, I'm thinking ......
Oh & welcome to A2K. A pleasure to meet you! Very Happy
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 06:13 am
Marvelous passage, Pixee, i greatly enjoyed reading it. Thank you.
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 04:46 pm
hunting for yabbies or turtles in the sweltering heat

playing football on the main road

tree climbing

pretend wedding, showering people with orange blossom

always being picked last

hiding from bigger kids who want to hurt you while simultaneously seeking out other kids who would like to kill you but are too genteel Smile
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 04:49 pm
watching while your classmates smoked behind the shed

and then you enter high school and it becomes :

incompetent teachers

intense bullying and ostracism

the symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder

watching everybody friends pregnant or developing drug addictions

turning 17 and leaving, vowing never to return
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 04:52 pm
Re: once upon a time hey..
littleozzybloke wrote:
Confused..

no home raids...no drug problem...not in oz.....what are street kids?

hmmmm...

Hahaha, where u from? But yeah , domestic violence and poverty are more standard, it's just no1 talks about them
0 Replies

littleozzybloke

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 07:39 am
Laughing hi oddsocks...neat name by the way....i forget to mention i'm nearly 60?....times were different......
regards...ole fella Cool
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 06:04 am
Number 96
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 08:38 pm
Not being allowed to watch Number 96 and having to listen to kids crap on about it the next day...
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 6 Jun, 2005 04:10 am
my outback version:

no shoes at school
23 kids at school total...grades 1 - 7
Two teachers....then only one...
Then then new teachers daughter Twisted Evil

Sports days against the next town...100klms away.

Driving home from a that town to realise we are missing one brother....hoping someone else found him and gave him a lift..and of course they did.

The swing the big kids use on the river...finally getting the courage to jump for it...missed...belly flop. Mad

No part of the river deeper than me. Until it floods...then it's real deep and miles across.

Grocery deliveries once every two weeks.

Corrugations in the dirt roads rattling your teeth as you ride your...uh oh ...lifting your feet above your head as you ride your Malvern Star dragster (with 3 gears on the crossbar) over a big brown snake...dead snake....phew!

No TV...none...no reception.

Walking home in the dark..really, really dark.

Stars...wow...the stars !

River water for everything but drinking.

The taste of tank water. The tingle of electricity when you drink from the copper tap...an earth leak maybe?

Eating grapefruit and mangoes from your own trees.

Collecting agates...visiting opal mines, hoping to find the big black one!

Playing golf on a sand golf course, teeing up your ball on a "burr"....dragging the sump oiled sand of the "green" flat....which was black.

Camping at the yabbie hole, trying to stop your little brother from getting scared...then you hear some wild pigs Shocked

Catching Yellowbelly, Blackbrim and catfish. Swallowing a lead sinker and being given castor oil to "remove" it Embarrassed

Jelly Tips, By-Jingo's and whizz-fizz.

The 20c piece superglued to the footpath outside the general store.

Bush fires....Bedouries (dust storms)..the smell of the mulga in winter......

sigh....
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 01:08 am
littleozzybloke wrote:
Laughing hi oddsocks...neat name by the way....i forget to mention i'm nearly 60?....times were different......
regards...ole fella Cool

lol yeah, and perhaps i'm overly cynical Smile . There were a lot of good times in my childhood, but poverty was pretty much standard in the place i grew up. Relative poverty , that is, which is still better than how most people in the third world live, and isn't so bad in itself.
0 Replies