Wife thinking of becoming a teacher

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 07:53 pm
Hello

I am brand new to the forums but I am hoping to get some advice.

My wife is thinking of becoming a teacher. She is 26 (I am 29). I fully support her decision but I can not answer some of her basic questions.

For example, she currently holds a degree in Mechanical engineering and thinking of applying that to teaching. She wants to teach middle school, topics like math or science.

Is she able to apply her Mechanical engineering degree to teaching so that she doesn't have to take an additional 4 years of schooling? I was hoping to ask the local collages this question but their websites gave me the feeling that she needed to be a student first or applying for admission before they would assist (again, this is just how it seemed to me, I may be totally off base).

Anyways, any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,028 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Lash

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 08:49 pm
Hmmm. She has a Mechanical Engineering degree? I hope someone who knows more will drift this way--but my thoughts are: if she took thatdegree in a University sponsered school, and also took any core classes, they would apply. (She could count them.)

But, that degree may be technical, in case she has to start from scratch.

But, tell her to go for it!!!! You can take some classes online, which is so convenient.
0 Replies

gabbyme

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 10:25 pm
try calling a university and asking to speak with an advisor. Just ask them, that is thier job, thats what they are there for. Kansas State University is very friendly. they also have one of the best education programs and one of the best engineering programs. here is a number for the education department, they would be able to answer the question if it would transfer. 785-532-7304 I'm guessin she will have to take a few classes such as how to teach to youngsters.
0 Replies

gabbyme

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 10:26 pm
oh i am currently in the education program at kansas state. i trasfer from animal science and they are good to work with you. The number is legitemate.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2005 06:43 pm
Math and science are really in demand. As others have suggested, have her contact the nearest university's education department (i.e., teacher program). I was a year into a Ph.D. program for sociology when I decided to become a high school teacher. I had undergraduate majors in sociology and psychology, and a minor in English. It only took me two years to complete my teacher training and upgrade my English minor to a major.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Mon 13 Jun, 2005 07:08 am
My wife got a B.S. degree in chemistry; she then attended a one-year program (full-time) at the University of Massachusetts that provided her with a master's degree (+ certification) in education, qualifying her to teach high school chemistry. Other colleges should have similar programs, particularly with the high demand in many states for science teachers.
0 Replies