Islam and Space Travel

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:25 pm
The iman rabbi and priest are having dinner. They decide to put the problems of the world to rest over a good meal. At the end an angel appears and says

you have done good here tonight, ask a wish and it will be granted

after a while the rabbi says, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, I cannot pass by the chance of getting rid of the muslims.

the angel says ok if thats what you want

then the iman gets to his feet, outraged that the Rabbi had asked for such a thing, and says

in that case I demand the elimination of all Jews

the angel says ok

Whereupon the priest says

if thats what those two want, I'll have another coffee.
0 Replies

NewSoul

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:30 pm
Imams are human beings like everyone else. Imam is just an older man or a knowledgeable Muslim that can say the verses of Quran without looking at the Quran to lead the prayers. Imams get married and have kids.
Equus sees a pope and says : Hey Dalai Lama, I don't like Bhudism. The pope looks at him and say : "The number you have dialed is not in service right now, please check the number againand call me back "
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 03:30 pm
Equus, Steve--

Thank you.

NewSoul--

You are obviously male, young, and determinedly unworldly. I hope time will be helpful to you.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 10:58 pm
Wait a minute! Who's the evil lesbian?
0 Replies

Ibn kumuna

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2005 01:46 pm
Salaam Alaikum

From my bag of "To do's," it would seem that in space one would make a special travel prayer. I did this while visiting my fiancé up north. No, it was not the North Pole. I can have a sense of wit and charm; pace Irshad Manji.

--Ibn
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:16 am
NewSoul wrote:
It is Hindus that worship cows so they don't eat beef

they dont worship cows !!!

they dont eat beef cos they dont like to eat the meat of the animal who's milk they drink and use for butter and cheese and yogurt and curd.

thats why they give special place to the cow, and think of her more like a "milk giver" than an animal to be eaten.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 05:32 am
this is an irrevalent thread.

no muslim country has the technology to send man (or burkha clad woman for that matter) to space or even a few hundered feet up from the ground (ulness they get some jehadi to strap himself/herself/itself, to a scud or a surface to air missile), and dont seem like they'd be able to do so anytime soon either, certainly not afghanistan and soudi arabia.

and after their accomplishments on a certain september morning, its unlikely that any country (esp usa) will trust a muslim citizen on a space rocket - we dont want the Petronas towers to be blown apart next, now do we ??

so this is an irrelevant thread and muslims in space will remain, along with pigs on the wing, one of those ideas that will never be realised.

just my two dinars.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 07:58 am
brahmin wrote:
this is an irrevalent thread.

no muslim country has the technology to send man (or burkha clad woman for that matter) to space or even a few hundered feet up from the ground (ulness they get some jehadi to strap himself/herself/itself, to a scud or a surface to air missile), and dont seem like they'd be able to do so anytime soon either, certainly not afghanistan and soudi arabia.

and after their accomplishments on a certain september morning, its unlikely that any country (esp usa) will trust a muslim citizen on a space rocket - we dont want the Petronas towers to be blown apart next, now do we ??

so this is an irrelevant thread and muslims in space will remain, along with pigs on the wing, one of those ideas that will never be realised.

just my two dinars.

What's wrong with being hypothetical? The purpose of this thread wasn't to work out what a muslim will do when he needs to go into space - it's to pose a problem to Islam: the Qur'an does not clarify what a muslim would do, if he were to travel into space. It doesn't matter if no muslim ever travels into space - the point is that the idea of leaving this planet is a problem for the Islamic way of life, since the routine of praying, eating, fasting, etc. will be messed up by different day lengths and such.

We know that it is possible that a muslim could travel into space, so what muslims should do in response to this thread is come to a decision about whether it is morally acceptable to leave the planet, when and how a muslim would pray on a planet with low gravity and days lasting 30 earth years, or something - and so on. Okay?
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:09 am
i know the TS was only being hypothetical.

you dont get the drift of my previous post too well do you ??
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:25 am
brahmin wrote:
you dont get the drift of my previous post too well do you ??

I think I do. You were saying that this thread is irrelevent because muslims will probably never travel into space, right? If that's not it, tell me what I've missed...
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 11 Jun, 2005 08:28 am
yes i was saying that.

this thread wasn't as irrevalent to me as i said it was - it sure did let me voice exactly what i thinnk of them after all. maybe i should have added a wink somewhere in that post to make things somewhat clearer.

satire i believe is the word. or sarcasm. or maybei was just being sardonic when i wrote that post.
0 Replies

NewSoul

Reply Sun 12 Jun, 2005 03:13 pm
Dear agrote,

Muhammad PBUH have talked so much about the Anti-Christ ( Dajjal in Arabic ) :

We said: Allah's Apostle (peace_be_upon_him), how long will he stay on Earth? He said: For forty days, one day like a year, one day like a month, one day like a week, and the rest of the days will be like your days. We said: Allah's Apostle (peace_be_upon_him) will one day's prayer suffice for the prayers of the day equal to one year? Thereupon he said: No, but you must make an estimate of the time (and then observe prayer).

I know that you have been looking for a particular question that Islam may not have answered to prove to us that there may be something that Islam have no answer for.

Bad news , Islam had already answered questions like that , more than 1400 years ago. The answer to your concern is simple: since praying 5 times an earthly day is the minimum number of prayers that could remind the Muslim of fearing GOD when taking any action thru all a Day so the Muslim can do the best without sinning and if he/she sins the next prayers will teach him how to do better, Muhammad PBUH had said that no matter how long the day is estimates will have to be used to estimate how many prayers a day are the minumum during any duration and that applies for Fasting and other things. Islam use a lot of Math.

T= 24 hrs then 5 prayers ( the general rule from GOD ( ALLAH in Arabic) )
T = 48 hrs then 10 prayers ( a cycle of 5 )
T = 1 year then 5 time 365 prayers will be performed
T = n years the n x 365 (or 366) x 5

Michael
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:19 pm
Okay, if that's what a muslim would do in space, that's fine. What does the author of this thread say to that?
0 Replies