Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 03:04 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 929 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 03:12 pm
I can understand why anyone is saddened by his death but why is the death of an 84 year old man who had been ill for a long time news of earth shattering proportions?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 04:03 pm
"Earth shattering" is a bit of an overstatement, but it qualifies as major news because he was a world leader who was revered and admired by millions as well as being the leader of one of the world's religions. Can you really not understand why he would be widely mourned? Sheesh, I'm not even Catholic and it matters to me.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 04:57 pm
I just read a timeline thing about him. Catholic or not, religious or not one thing you have to recognize. This guy was bad ass. Educated himself during the nazi occupation on the down low, two doctorates, first non Italian pope in 455 years, forgave the guy who shot him (in person) stood up for his principles, this guy had balls of brass. A man deserving of admiration, and the type of leader in DAMN short supply today.
0 Replies

inyen

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 05:05 pm
What makes the Popes death more important than John Doe's death?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 05:20 pm
Specials on John Doe will not boost ratings.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 05:28 pm
How will John Paul be remembered?

His entire accomplishments seemed to be in the realm of freedom in Communist bloc states. However, in the Western Hemisphere, his stands against "liberation theology" and his chastisemnet of US and Mexican clergy made lots of US cCatholics jump ship.

His entire papacy was based upon a selfless belief in his creed. He had no problems dealing with Gorbachev, Pinochet, Castro, or Reagan.

I wonder whether the new Pope wont be Hispanic or African
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 05:28 pm
I agree with Eva and BVT. I'm not Catholic either, but I watched with interest over the past few days. His life story is quite amazing.
0 Replies

inyen

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 05:42 pm
Was/is the Pope more important to God than John Doe?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 05:52 pm
inyen wrote:
Was/is the Pope more important to God than John Doe?

To who? To the Catholics, probably yes - athough I shouldn't speak for them. To me, as a Universalist, no.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 07:33 pm
just a word in agreement;
there were few people on this planet with whom i disagreed more than John II, but there are also few for whom i have more respect, for their being exactly who they say they are!
[you have to give him credit, he lived his beliefs!]
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 05:45 am
inyen I haven't spoken to God today. As soon as I get an answer I'll let you know.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 08:37 am
His last word was "Amen" ...his life was a prayer.

http://img171.exs.cx/img171/2153/pope4tt.jpg

Pokój
0 Replies

inyen

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 03:17 pm
bobsmythhawk wrote:
inyen I haven't spoken to God today. As soon as I get an answer I'll let you know.

Thanks. Ask him how his son is doing; he went through a bad ordeal last month and it was he who gave me the idea that we were all equal in the eyes of God.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 03:42 pm
Plenty of people, I think a clear majority, don't give a damn about popes alive or dead and yet all our TV schedules were filled up with specials and news about this today which is a bit disappointing.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 04:01 pm
Well, the guy was a world leader.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 08:23 pm
I was downtown Toronto in 2002 and saw youth from all over the world gathering and dispersing on buses. The occasion was World Youth Day over which the Pope presided. Their joy was palpable.

R.I.P.H.H.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 09:00 pm
He was one of the most powerful men of the last 50 years. From my perspective, he did a great deal of good and a great deal of harm, probably more than any other figure since World War II. That makes it bigger news to me than John Doe, who failed to impress me enough for me to be interested.
0 Replies