Oriental rug woven with mixed colour cheme

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2018 12:25 pm
Hello everyone!
I am new to the forum and I am not a collector , but more of proud owner of couple of persian, arab and chinese rugs.
I bought this rug at a flea market and upon inspecting it, concluded it was only dirty. When I washed it, I realized the difference in colours and certain forms on the carpet. It looks almost as if at least three different persons were involved in making this rug.
Rug is 1.1 x 2.0 meters and I would like to ask your oppinion on why the rug might have been done this way and also what type of rug it is.

Thanks!
https://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y393/gruda12/IMG_20181130_173248_zpsl24eaer6.jpg
http://i1272.photobucket.com/albums/y393/gruda12/IMG_20181130_173620_zpso3k1ehsg.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 697 • Replies: 6
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2018 12:38 pm
@Reprodactilus,
I suspect that someone fudged the hell up when storing the carpet away for a long period of time. I suspect that the very light/very faded side was the one open to too much sunlight as well as people placing various bits of junk and stuff (leading to further wear and tear) on the not so gracefully aged section of the rug.

FYI:
I'm not sure why Google thinks we have art and furniture appraisals. So, it's not likely you will be getting any legit expert restoration based advice. Good luck.
Reprodactilus

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2018 12:59 pm
@tsarstepan,
Thanks TS for honest reply.
You may just be right, but even objects look different, not only faded
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2018 01:01 pm
@Reprodactilus,
Failed and incomplete attempt at restoration?
Reprodactilus

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2018 01:10 pm
@tsarstepan,
I know sometimes, on tribal level, masters gave projects to the kids, aprentices, to finish a rug and sometimes they would not have ebnough wool or skill to finish it.
0 Replies

Sharafi Co

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2018 11:16 am
@Reprodactilus,
This is a Persian Baluch, Circa 1950. Clearly it has not been well looked after. These pieces were mainly woven by tribes. The change in colour if you notice comes in bands. What happened is that they would have started weaving with a batch of wool. When they run out of that they would have dyed some more wool. While it would have initially looked the same colour but because it was not done scientifically then intensity of the colour would have been different. So through ageing and washing the differently dyed wools would have reacted differently to the environment and washing, hence the changes in colour. They are called Abrush in the trade.

It is a pretty piece with a lot of character.
0 Replies

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2018 05:00 am
@Reprodactilus,
handmade Persian and faded rug. Looks like a very old rug
0 Replies