Do you believe Jesus ever existed?

SN95

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 07:05 pm
Obviously if you are Christian then you believe Jesus was not only an actual human being who existed at some point in time but was also the son of God and the spiritual savior for all.

Before you say, "Yes," and stop reading consider this:

1) Outside of the bible, there is virtually no proof that a physical Jesus ever existed. The romans who were meticulous record keepers make no mention of him at all despite according to the bible being the executioners of Jesus. The only reference that can be found are in the works of a Jewish scholar named Josephus. These two passages which consist of what would barely make up a paragraph is widely accepted by scholars to be at least partially forged.

2) Nothing about the story of Jesus is original. His birth from a virgin, his crucifixtion, death and resurrection, just about every aspect of his story has been told numerous times by many pagan religions. To name a few, this story has been shared by the likes of Mithras, Attis, Adonis, Dionysus, and Osiris.

3) Even in the bible very little is known about Jesus' childhood. For example, one gospel account of his birth asserts he was born in the time of King Herod who died in 4BCE while the other gospel asserts he was born during the great census of 6CE. In other words, Mary was pregnant for 10 years!

I'm going to keep this post short just to gauge the reaction of the posters. I'd be more than happy to debate or go more in depth on what I've found.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,856 • Replies: 51
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 07:18 pm
I'd love to hear more. I heard a preacher one say that there was more proof that Jesus existed than that Babe Ruth existed!
0 Replies

SN95

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 07:35 pm
Another interested thing is that two of the gospels go through great lengths to prove Jesus is a direct descendent of King David. They do this by providing a lengthy genealogy of Joseph (both of which are absolutely totally contradictory to each other). Which if you think about it is irrelevant because if Jesus was born of a virgin birth then why would it matter if Joseph was the descendent of King David? He isn't Jesus' biological father.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 07:42 pm
I believe that a man name Jesus existed... I just don't believe that he was anything other than a man.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 08:38 pm
SN95 wrote:
because if Jesus was born of a virgin birth then why would it matter if Joseph was the descendent of King David? He isn't Jesus' biological father.

True, but he was charged with raising the young boy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 08:47 pm
I believe Jesus is a conglomeration of thoughts and men of the day, not a single being.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 08:57 pm
The one fact about Jesus that no serious historians have any question about is that he was crucified around AD30. And if he died, it's a pretty safe bet that he lived

A early reference to Jesus comes from the great Roman historian, Tacitus. Writing around the year 110, he recalled the events following the Fire of Rome in 64: "To stop the rumour, [that he had started the fire himself] Nero falsely accused and executed with the most exquisite punishments the people called Christians, who were notorious for their abominations. Their originator, Christ, had been executed in Tiberius' reign by the Procurator of Judea, Pontius Pilate."

If other written records of past events are to be believed, why shouldn't we believe the events that are recorded in the Bible. Having said that, I do realize that the Bible has gone through several translations and even speculations over the years. I believe that the basics are still there.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 02:21 am
Intrepid wrote:
The one fact about Jesus that no serious historians have any question about is that he was crucified around AD30. And if he died, it's a pretty safe bet that he lived

A early reference to Jesus comes from the great Roman historian, Tacitus. Writing around the year 110, he recalled the events following the Fire of Rome in 64: "To stop the rumour, [that he had started the fire himself] Nero falsely accused and executed with the most exquisite punishments the people called Christians, who were notorious for their abominations. Their originator, Christ, had been executed in Tiberius' reign by the Procurator of Judea, Pontius Pilate."

If other written records of past events are to be believed, why shouldn't we believe the events that are recorded in the Bible. Having said that, I do realize that the Bible has gone through several translations and even speculations over the years. I believe that the basics are still there.

Those arguin' for the historicity of Jesus point frequently to Tacitus: Annals 15:44, which translates, " ... "derived their name and origin from Christ, who, in the reign of Tiberius, had suffered death by the sentence of the Procurator Pontius Pilate". More on Tacitus' reference in a bit, but first, there are a few other nearly contemporary references from other writers cited as historical proof, as well. Apologists for the Historicity of Jesus make much of the little on which they have to draw.

Fequently mentioned in similar vein to the Tacitus "proof" is Josephus' Testimonium Flavianum, from Antiquities of the Jews 18:63-64, which translates, " ... About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who wrought surprising feats and as a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Messiah. When Pilate, upon hearing him accused by men of the highest standing amongst us, had condemned him to be crucified, those who had in the first place come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared to them restored to life, for the prophets of God had prophesied these and countless other marvellous things about him. And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared." Frequent mention also is made of Josephus, Antiquities 20:9.1, which translates " ... so he ('he' in the passage referrin' to one Ananus, son of High Priest Ananus ... timber) assembled the sanhedrin of judges, and brought before him the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James, and some others and when he had formed an accusation against them, he delivered them to be stoned."

Of the two Josephus references, the second, often termed the "Jamesian Passage" is accorded by historians somewhat more provenence than the first, or Testimonium Flavianum passage, which is generally accepted to be if not a whole later addition, at the very least a later-edited expansion by a 3rd Century transcriber of Christian agenda. However, neither passage is universally accepted as original, at least as currently known, to Josephus' Antiquities. There are questions arisin' both from contextual positioning, word useage, and apparent internal contradictions arisin' from considerin' the passages with the overall Antiquities. It is known that Origen, a renknowned 3rd Century Christian scholar and a key figure in the early evolution of Christianity, referenced the Testimonium Flavianum. It is known too that the style and word useage of the Testimonium Flavianum, while not particularly characteristic of Josephus' practice, is wholly consistent with Origen's style and useage.

Highlighted here in blue are the phrases which give scholars difficulty: " ... About this time there lived Jesus, a wise man, if indeed one ought to call him a man. For he was one who wrought surprising feats and as a teacher of such people as accept the truth gladly. He won over many Jews and many of the Greeks. He was the Messiah. When Pilate, upon hearing him accused by men of the highest standing amongst us, had condemned him to be crucified, those who had in the first place come to love him did not give up their affection for him. On the third day he appeared to them restored to life, for the prophets of God had prophesied these and countless other marvellous things about him. And the tribe of the Christians, so called after him, has still to this day not disappeared." Particularly of note is the "Messiah" reference; numerous times throughout Antiquities and his other writin's, Josephus specifically and unambiguously bestows the title "Messiah" on his own patron, the Emperor Trajan. Perplexin' as well is that Josephus wrote much more expansively of John The Baptist and of other zealots and cult figures among the Jews ... writin's all devoid of any Jesus, Christ, or Christian reference. A last eyebrow raiser lies in the reverent tone with whcih Christ is described - not at all fittin' either with Josephus' style or general contemporary sentiment.

None of that is damnin' evidence, but neither is there unambiguous provenence. While it is entirely plausible Josephus wrote of Jesus, it cannot be proven that he did, and there is plentiful credible argument he did not.

Turnin' to Tacitus, the sole relevant passage in Annals does nothin' more than confirm that at the time Tacitus was writin', there was a cult styled as "Christians", the members of which professed a belief that their Christ had died a martyr at the hands of Pilate, Procurator of Judea durin' the reign of Tiberius. The Tacitus text suffers from none of the provenence difficulties afflictin' the Josephus examples, but ib no way is it independent evidence of anything other than that a cult known as Christians had a tradition involvin' the death of their putative namesake. A key point of difficulty with the Tacitus passage is that he terms Pilate Procurator, whereas the actual office held by Pilate was Prefect - a terminology distinction error very unlike, in fact otherwise unevidenced in, anything else ever written by Tacitus. It is, however, an error echoed in the Gosples, though nowhere else. Too, he refers to Jesus by the Christian religious title "Christos", an honorific, as opposed to the almost universally observed contemporary Roman practice of referin' to personages other than nobility or signal military accomplishment (which itself generally conveyed nobility) by given names further delineated by patronymics or regional identifiers; Abraham son of Judah, for instance, or Simon of Gaza. One must strongly consider the possibility Tacitus was workin' not from Roman records in this instance, but rather recountin' what he had been told by or heard of Christians.

Other 1st Century writers, Suetonius, Thalus, and Pliny the Younger, also are thought by some to offer independent historical evidence of Jesus.

A passage from Suetonius' Lives of the Caesars, specifically Claudius 5.25.4, translates, ""Since the Jews constantly made disturbances at the instigation of Chrestus (the contextual reference is to action taken in 49 CE by Claudius, then Emperor ... timber) expelled them from Rome." Several things stand out here. First, and perhaps least troublin', is that "Chrestus" actually is a common latinization of a known Greek proper name wholly unrelated to the messianic religious title "Christ", or "Christos". Second, there is no reference to "Christians", but rather those bein' discussed are given the appelation "Jews", and finally, the events described took place in 49 AD, disturbances instigated in Rome by one Chrestus, an individual apparently present both temporally and locationally regardin' the disturbances - nearly 2 decades after the accepted date of Jesus' death. The only connection to Jesus or to Christians is the similarity of spellin' between the name "Chrestus" and the title or honorific "Christos". Most interstin' is that Pliny the Elder, writin' much closer to the times in which the incidents reportedly took place, nentions them not at all.

With Thalus, we delve even deeper into ambiguity; no first person text survives, and the earliest reference to Thalus describin' the crucifiction as havin' been accompanied by "earthquake and darkness", echoin' Gosple accounts, is to be found in the 3rd Century writin's of Julius Africanus, a Christian writer and leader. No contemporary record of any such occurance in or near Judea/Palestine durin the 1st Century exists ... a surprisin' circumstance had there been in fact unexplained mid-day darkness coincident with earthquake. That sorta thing tends to get noticed, and written about, big time. That it might have been left unremarked by any other than the Gosplers and possibly Thalus beggars the imagination.

Turnin' to Pliny the Younger, his voluminous correspondences with the Emporer Trajan bear frequent mention of Christians in Asia Minor, their beliefs and their practices in context of dissent against and resistance to Roman authority, and amount to discussions of how best to deal with the bother and disturbance fostered by the Christian cult. There is no mention whatsoever of Jesus, and the only reference to Christ is to be found in the term "Christians".

In short, the 1st Century non-Christian writers tell us nothin' about the historicity of Jesus beyond that there was an offshoot cult of Judaism known as Christians, they had traditions, beliefs and practices, and that Roman authority thought none too highly of them. There are no answers here, just more layers of question; neither supporters nor skeptics can claim clear victory by the evidence available.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 09:09 pm
I think it highly likely that Jesus existed. I think he probably even said verbatim some of things attributed to him. I'm actually quite a fan of the "teachings of Christ". Having said that, I'm also a pretty hardcore atheist.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 04:16 am
Re: Do you believe Jesus ever existed?
SN95 wrote:
1) Outside of the bible, there is virtually no proof that a physical Jesus ever existed. The romans who were meticulous record keepers make no mention of him at all despite according to the bible being the executioners of Jesus. The only reference that can be found are in the works of a Jewish scholar named Josephus. These two passages which consist of what would barely make up a paragraph is widely accepted by scholars to be at least partially forged.

If it was forged in its entirety it would have had to have been forged in stages since nobody believes it was forged in its entirety at once.

And stating that nearly all references of Jesus are from the Bible is stating the obvious intention of the creation of the Bible; to collect all the writings about Jesus.
The New Testament is 27 books written by at least 7 different authors.

SN95 wrote:
2) Nothing about the story of Jesus is original. His birth from a virgin, his crucifixtion, death and resurrection, just about every aspect of his story has been told numerous times by many pagan religions. To name a few, this story has been shared by the likes of Mithras, Attis, Adonis, Dionysus, and Osiris.

It would have been much more believable to say that the story of Jesus was created from messianic Judaism. I've always wondered why people who wanted to try to prove that the Jesus story was made up had to go to other cultures to find similar stories. It's right there in the Old Testament. The messiah was to be born of a virgin and tortured to death. And according to the Apostles he was to come back to life in 3 days. All this is found in pre-Christian Jewish tradition. So his story was not supposed to be original it was supposed to be a fufillment of the Hebrew Scripture.

SN95 wrote:
3) Even in the bible very little is known about Jesus' childhood. For example, one gospel account of his birth asserts he was born in the time of King Herod who died in 4BCE while the other gospel asserts he was born during the great census of 6CE. In other words, Mary was pregnant for 10 years!

The Apostles would have known very little of Jesus' childhood. They weren't his childhood friends.
Luke does not state that Jesus was born during the census of 6AD. He just states that Jesus was born during a census.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 04:39 am
Surely the fact that Jesus was born through an immaculate conception immediately conjures up doubt!!!
Would we believe someone if that happened nowadays.

Babe Ruth clearly exsisted as we have pictures/film footage and I dont think he claimed to do anything miraculous.Tho Im sure things may be different if cameras where available back then.

If Jesus is believable then so is the Loch Ness Monster, ghosts,mind power etc.

Its the biggest con if he didnt exsist but religion is a business.Nothing like uncertainty to get the money rolling in.

Does anybody else think it a tad odd as Jesus was a humble carpenter yet the people who represent him on earth wear elaborate beautiful clothes and live in majestic surroundings.A bit extravagant dont you think?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 09:34 pm
material girl,

You can believe that Jesus probably existed without believing there was anything supernatural about him at all. (In fact that is exactly what I think)
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 11:01 pm
I believe that Jesus did exist, the source of this belief is the bible but not in the way you might think. The bible describes the behaviour of his followers after Jesus' death and this behaviour fits in exactly with the descriptions of UFO cultists after no alien spaceship comes to pick them up on the correct date.

The facts most conclusively point to Jesus being the charismatic leader of a cult which grew after his death and developed explanations for why Jesus died and why his prophecies failed to come true. These explanations were likely drawn from the surrounding mythologies that abounded in the region about resurecting seasonal gods.

Thus, in my opinion Jesus Christ was a real person. That fits the facts better than him being fictitious. His actual existance though in no way implies that he was a deity.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 02:06 am
Surely Jesus doing his supernatural work like healing the sick and walking on water etc is a big crowd pleaser and pulls in the masses.Its these things that make him what he is.
Otherwise he is just a kind person, like many people in this world and doesnt deserve such status.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 02:18 am
You mean like the Pope, George Bush, and Martha Stewart?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 02:44 am
The Pope was nice, George Bush, not seen him do anything nice unless being pulled by strings and no idea who martha Stewart is.

Im thinking of people like Mother Terasa, nurses,foster parents etc
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 02:45 am
Sanctuary wrote:
I believe that a man name Jesus existed... I just don't believe that he was anything other than a man.

These are my thoughts as well.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 02:46 am
I guess I was thinking more of people who do not deserve such status (rather than nice-ness)
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 02:57 am
The Pope and Mother Teresa deserve status as they have dedicated their lives to their beliefs.That amount of dedication should be praised.

People who achieve a position of power just to do bad things do not deserve any kind of status.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 03:16 am
Well then so too does Jesus, he must deserve it at least as much as a Pope who has devoted his life to the teachings of Jesus.

(And while I'm no Bush supporter, I'm also not naive enough to think he only does bad things and only for bad reasons)
0 Replies