A Lament for Mincemeat Pie

blatham

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2019 05:47 am
What a freaking disappointment. Where I come from, lamentations are done with passion and artistry. You always hire some elderly women in black ankle-length attire including headcoverings and have them bash their teeth out against large boulders. And that's the bare minimum to even count as a lamentation. What the **** is this world coming to?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2019 08:02 am
@farmerman,
There's more than one English version. I normally make my own, but this year my oven packed in on Christmas Eve and didn't get fixed until 9th January, so I had to buy shop ones.

Clotted cream is ideal for a cream tea with fresh scones and strawberry jam. Scones should always be fresh, they go stale very quickly and any type designed to last more than a day isn't worth bothering with.

We're brought up with clotted cream, and never found the name off putting because we know what it is. It was only when I came on here that I found people were put off by the name. Maybe it should be marketed in America under a different name. How about Lennie and George's cream?

Quote:
"An' live off the fatta the lan'," Lennie shouted. "An' have rabbits. Go on, George! Tell about what we're gonna have in the garden and about the rabbits in the cages and about the rain in the winter and the stove, and how thick the cream is on the milk like you can hardly cut it.

I find the Hairy Bikers stuff to be very good, here's one of their recipes. Actually 5 recipes from different chefs at link.

https://linuxcentre.net/food/sticky_toffee_pudding<br />
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2019 08:05 am
This may be of interest.

Quote:
The Puritan War on Christmas lasted until 1660. Under the Commonwealth, mince pies, holly and other popular customs fell victim to the spirited Puritan attempt to eradicate every last remnant of merrymaking during the Christmas period.

http://www.timetravel-britain.com/articles/christmas/ban.shtml
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 23 Jan, 2019 08:06 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

PS, most real American style mincemeat pies DONT have lattice tops. Thats for fruit pies that caramelize like Rhubarb or strawberry or blackberry.

I use a lattice top when I don't have enough pastry.
0 Replies