WHAT IS LIFE....

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 08:04 pm
Is it just living tissue? How about living tissues struggling to survive, seeking water, food, shelter. How about living tissues solving problems, creating and communicating ?

Last Tuesday, we buried Aunt J. The doctors said she would die before her tenth birthday. She raised two grown sons , the oldest being 35.

She had spent much of the past year within a mess of tubes. She was presented with the opportunity for an operation which could give her back HER LIFE. In a discussion with my daughter, she say she had lived a full life. If the operation worked, then fine. If not, so be it.

What does it mean to live life?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,131 • Replies: 18
No top replies

cassipoop

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:05 pm
to live life?

if you are alive...does it mean you are living life...or just empty?
0 Replies

Aphrodisia

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 12:49 am
"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it's an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it."

That's life. To me at least.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2005 03:29 pm
cassipoop,
"to live life? if you are alive...does it mean you are living life...or just empty?"

Goodness, your posting may be the better thread question. However, Aphrodisia presents another interesting approach.

Dumb me, I just realized I am dealing with the same basic question poised by the prolife people. Ok, let's attempt to do some separation. With that in mind, let's take cassipoop's quote,' "to live life? if you are alive...does it mean you are living life...or just empty?" ' Within that context, Aphrodisia's quote appears to offer one explanation.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 07:10 am
Life is the glorious process of dying. :wink:
0 Replies

Aphrodisia

Reply Sat 2 Apr, 2005 04:45 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Life is the glorious process of dying. :wink:

Seriously, that is one way to look at it, and probably the most accurate. Your use of "glorious" is what makes it subjective...and what else is more subjective than how someone choses to live their life?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 06:06 am
Maybe your understanding of death is subjective also? How do you feel about the fact that you're going to die?

This has nothing to do with how you live your life. Just the fact that every breath brings you one less to your last. You may think this is a depressing view of life, but that would only stem from your subjective opinion that death is a bad thing.
0 Replies

Aphrodisia

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 10:21 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Maybe your understanding of death is subjective also? How do you feel about the fact that you're going to die?

This has nothing to do with how you live your life. Just the fact that every breath brings you one less to your last. You may think this is a depressing view of life, but that would only stem from your subjective opinion that death is a bad thing.

I think you misunderstood me.

Nowhere in my post does it say that I see death (or your statement) as depressing. In fact, it's the opposite. I picked the word "glorious" to emphasize that it IS in fact glorious, and it's up to the individual to decide what to do with their life, and to them, THAT is life.

I also think that the fact that we're living only to die has everything to do with life. Not in a pessimistic sense, but knowing that this life is all you have should be motivation to fill it with things that make you happy, fulfilled. That's where subjectivity comes in, and for some, mediocrity is enough to be fulfilled and for others, it's more or less. In the end, we're ALL living to die, just taking different journey's to the end.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into your statement, or I'm WAY off with what you meant...but overall, I agree completely with what you initially said.

Smile
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Mon 4 Apr, 2005 01:25 pm
You read what I wrote Aphrodisia. Smile

I also wrote that you may find the thought depressing, but that would be because you thought of death as a bad thing.

But you do not see death as a bad thing, and therefore you do not find my reasoning to be depressing. Only, by now I should probably call it our reasoning. It seems we are in accord. Smile
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 12:59 pm
...GM
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 01:26 pm
Mapleleaf wrote:
I am enjoying the force of rookies this year. I think Pete once commented that he was told a team was coming up in the minors which is better than the 90's Braves.

My wife told me about an ESPN announcer who said he was tire of Bobby Cox's name being batted around for MANAGER OF THE YEAR.
Bobby makes it look almost easy, but can you imagine having your team a conference winner for 13 straight seasons (possibly 14)?

One reason I follow professional baseball is their attention to teaching. You don't make it to the Big Team until you've earned it.

Who's force of rookies? who is Pete? Does he live near me? Who's the Braves? a bunch of stupid faced indians? What is espn? Who is Bobby? What's a conference winner? what's a season?
What the bloody hell are you talking about?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 02:15 pm
John Jones wrote:
Mapleleaf wrote:
I am enjoying the force of rookies this year. I think Pete once commented that he was told a team was coming up in the minors which is better than the 90's Braves.

My wife told me about an ESPN announcer who said he was tire of Bobby Cox's name being batted around for MANAGER OF THE YEAR.
Bobby makes it look almost easy, but can you imagine having your team a conference winner for 13 straight seasons (possibly 14)?

One reason I follow professional baseball is their attention to teaching. You don't make it to the Big Team until you've earned it.

Who's force of rookies? who is Pete? Does he live near me? Who's the Braves? a bunch of stupid faced indians? What is espn? Who is Bobby? What's a conference winner? what's a season?

I believe Mapleleaf is talking about professional baseball--which he specifically mentions in his last paragraph--and accidentally posted his remarks in the wrong thread. But what's your rationale for tossing in "a bunch of stupid faced indians" John Jones? Do you consider some human races inferior to others?
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 02:40 pm
yitwail wrote:
John Jones wrote:
Mapleleaf wrote:

I believe Mapleleaf is talking about professional baseball--which he specifically mentions in his last paragraph--and accidentally posted his remarks in the wrong thread. But what's your rationale for tossing in "a bunch of stupid faced indians" John Jones? Do you consider some human races inferior to others?

Yes, a bunch of stupid faced indians, just like the ones we used to see in papiermache outside a saloon, or the ones blowing didgeridoos in new-age CD's, or the ones wearing big feather dusters on horses on your living room wall or mantel-piece. Those stupid-faced indians. Oh, and the ones stuck on a baseball cap. Those are the stupid-faced indians. God are they stupid.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 03:17 pm
John Jones wrote:
Yes, a bunch of stupid faced indians, just like the ones we used to see in papiermache outside a saloon, or the ones blowing didgeridoos in new-age CD's, or the ones wearing big feather dusters on horses on your living room wall or mantel-piece. Those stupid-faced indians. Oh, and the ones stuck on a baseball cap. Those are the stupid-faced indians. God are they stupid.

FYI, John Jones, the able2know.com Terms of Services states,

Quote:
Use respectful language. You agree not to use language that abuses or discriminates on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual preference, age, region, disability, etc. Hate speech of any kind is grounds for immediate and permanent removal from the service.

and I believe your comments violate this stipulation, unless you were jesting.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 03:31 pm
yitwail wrote:
John Jones wrote:

FYI, John Jones, the able2know.com Terms of Services states,

Quote:
Use respectful language. You agree not to use language that abuses or discriminates on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender, sexual preference, age, region, disability, etc. Hate speech of any kind is grounds for immediate and permanent removal from the service.

and I believe your comments violate this stipulation, unless you were jesting.

Read my post again. I was referring to the stereotypes as stupid faced indians. I repeat then, for clarification:
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 03:43 pm
I'm glad you've qualified this. It needed qualification, since I originally asked if you considered some human races inferior to others, and you proceeded to answer, "Yes, a bunch of stupid faced indians..." without any indication that you were repeating stereotypes in order to decry their use.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 03:57 pm
Yes I made a mistake...do you two know one another?
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 04:04 pm
I doubt that I know Mr. Jones personally. He lives on the opposite side of the Atlantic, I believe, but we occasionally post in the same threads.
0 Replies

John Jones

Reply Thu 4 Aug, 2005 04:09 pm
yitwail wrote:
I'm glad you've qualified this. It needed qualification, since I originally asked if you considered some human races inferior to others, and you proceeded to answer, "Yes, a bunch of stupid faced indians..." without any indication that you were repeating stereotypes in order to decry their use.

I am more likely to encourage misinterpretation of something I write if I think someone has rushed to misinterpret.
0 Replies