How does anyone but Nancy Pelosi's crap.

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2018 09:51 am
Any examination of Nancy Pelosi's life screams privilege and entrenched power. She is from a White upper class family. She went to private schools, and a prestigious college on her family's money and was given a plumb political position in her early 20s.

She has never had a job outside of polotics, never faced any real difficulties in life. She is the embodiment of privilege.

Maybe she is a good speaker, but any suggestion that she isn't the prime example of entrched power is ridiculous.

The narrative that she is facing persecution by people who want to replace her is frustrating.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,090 • Replies: 37

hightor

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2018 10:14 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
She is from a White upper class family. She went to private schools, and a prestigious college on her family's money and was given a plumb political position in her early 20s.

Do you think that wealthy people should be barred from seeking political office?
Quote:
She has never had a job outside of polotics, never faced any real difficulties in life.

So that disqualifies her from public service?
Quote:
Maybe she is a good speaker...

That's irrelevant — she's a rich bitch so we have to oppose her.
Quote:
...but any suggestion that she isn't the prime example of entrched power is ridiculous.

And just who is suggesting that?
Quote:
The narrative that she is facing persecution by people who want to replace her is frustrating.

I haven't heard that particular "narrative". I know there are Democrats who are opposed to her but I never heard anyone complain that she was being "persecuted". Look, I know she has been a divisive figure — but most of that is because the Republicans have worked assiduously to transform her into some kind of witch figure. In the recent election her name was raised time and time again by the Republican candidate in my district, always getting a chorus of "boos" from friendly crowds. I'd grown tired of this myself and sort of hoped she'd voluntarily step aside — until I realized just how chickenshit that was — "Oh, the Republicans don't like her, guess we'd better find someone else."
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2018 01:54 pm
If Pelosi were a man, she would have zero chance of being speaker. She represents the past, a privileged, connected, career politician.

She is using gender politics to hold on to power she feels she is entitled to. There is no other way for her to hold onto her position.

Of course there is nothing wrong with wealthy white powerful people to maintain their hold on political power. Using identity politics to do so is disengenuous.

hightor

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2018 03:31 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
If Pelosi were a man, she would have zero chance of being speaker.

Possibly but I wouldn't put it that close to zero. The Democratic Party — oops, I mean the Democrat Party — has long supported affirmative action.
Quote:
She is using gender politics to hold on to power she feels she is entitled to.

Well, she is a woman. What's she supposed to do, pretend she's a man? How can any woman vie for a position like this without people like you labeling it "gender politics"?
Quote:
There is no other way for her to hold onto her position.
Isn't it sort of natural that the former Majority Leader and long time Minority Leader would be a front runner for the position?
Quote:
Using identity politics to do so is disengenuous.

Every person has some sort of "identity". If a black guy had put himself in the running would you be accusing him of identity politics? What about a gay or transgendered person? A veteran? An angry white male?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2018 03:48 pm
Max goes into hysterics whenever the subject is women, or a woman.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2018 03:49 pm
By the way, the title of the thread is hilariously inept.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2018 03:56 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

By the way, the title of the thread is hilariously inept.

Can someone translate the title for me. Thanks in advance.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2018 04:27 pm
1. Affirmative Action is supposed to help people from disadvantaged backgrounds. Pelosi has never been disadvantaged, and now she is as policitcally connected, powerful and wealthy people in the country. The only difference between Nancy Pelosi and any other member of the Patriarchy is a single chromosome.

2. Nancy Pelosi is arguing that people need to support her because she is a woman. This is identity politics.

The issue isn't that she is a woman, it is that she is using her gender to justify her sense of entitlement.
Sturgis

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2018 06:50 pm
@maxdancona,
Would you be more supportive of Pelosi of she were a minority? Lesbian? Non-binary? Dirt poor?

Regarding her political career, some of it was possibly from her upbringing. Her father after all, Thomas D'Alessandro, was himself a member of Congress from.1939-1947 and Mayor of Baltimore (Maryland) from 1947-1959. Those are years when Pelosi was learning about life and how government operated.

Would you have been happier if you learned she was a stay-at-home mom? Or if she had been a manicurist at Helga 's House of Hands?

I don't particularly like Pelosi, but, you haven't expressed any real reason for why another would be better suited for the position at this time. Given the fact that the Dems need a proven fund-raiser, leader and a go-getter for the next two (at least) years as we head towards the 2020 elections she is probably the best choice. If in 2020 the Dems maintain their current control, then a meaningful conversation can take place.

You haven't even indicated who would be better (in your view).
maxdancona

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2018 07:01 pm
@Sturgis,
I am criticizing her tactics, not the fact that she is running

She using gender politics to silence opposition. Of course rich, white policitcally connected people have the right to run. The issue is her use of identity politics to roll over anyone who would challenge her.

This is the Hillary problem all over again. There is likely someone who would be better, the cost for defying a powerful white woman is too high.

Pelosi is fighting dirty, to the possible detriment of her own party.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2018 08:42 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

2. Nancy Pelosi is arguing that people need to support her because she is a woman.

Could you provide a link? Everything I've read says Pelosi is arguing that she is the most progressive person running and that those who want to replace her are actually more conservative/less progressive than she is. I haven't seen any quotes from Pelosi arguing to her fellow representatives that she should be Speaker because she is a woman.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Thu 22 Nov, 2018 11:56 pm
Nancy Pelosi On Never Asking For Permission &
Breaking The "Marble Ceiling" As A Woman

Nancy Pelosi is the FIRST woman to have been Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives. "When I ran for leadership, some of my colleagues—even as enlightened as some of them are—would say things like, “Who said she could run?” As if I needed anybody’s permission. And, “Maybe you could just make a list of things you want the men to do, and we’ll do them for you.”

Published Nov 10, 2017
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2018 01:33 am
Here's why Nancy Pelosi will be speaker - again.

Published Nov 15, 2018
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2018 04:46 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Affirmative Action is supposed to help people from disadvantaged backgrounds.

Here's a definition which sounds acceptable:
Quote:
Affirmative action is an active effort to improve the employment or educational opportunities of members of minority groups and women; also : a similar effort to promote the rights or progress of other disadvantaged persons.

"Disadvantaged" can refer to other cultural factors, not just wealth or a lack of it. Many Democrats feel that having a woman head the House is symbolic and a positive signal to disadvantaged voters. Mrs. Pelosi doesn't need to be economically disadvantaged herself; her leadership represents the party's commitment to gender equality. I don't know why you feel this is such a bad thing. As others have said, there don't appear to be alternative candidates. And as other have asked, where does she "use her gender to justify her sense of entitlement"? Where has she asked people to vote for her because she's a woman?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2018 08:29 am
1. The reason that there are no alternatives to Nancy Pelosi is that she engineered it that way. She has made it clear that anyone who does will pay. And yes, she is running on gender politics including her use of Hillary's loss.

2. The cost of another Pelosi speakership is that her divisive political style will represent the Democratic party on TV for the next 2 years. This isn't good for any chance of bridging the political chasm, and is likely not good for the Democratic party's chances in 2020. Hillary was also rammed through by the Democratic party machinery and we know how that worked out.

Yes, I am resigned to the fact that Pelosi has already won.
hightor

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2018 08:46 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The cost of another Pelosi speakership is that her divisive political style will represent the Democratic party on TV for the next 2 years.

There's an element of truth there but really, do you think Kevin McCarthy will really look like a unifier in comparison? It's up to the Democratic party to monitor its behavior adjust its tactics if they face public skepticism or scorn.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2018 09:08 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

2. Nancy Pelosi is arguing that people need to support her because she is a woman.

Could you provide a link? Everything I've read says Pelosi is arguing that she is the most progressive person running and that those who want to replace her are actually more conservative/less progressive than she is. I haven't seen any quotes from Pelosi arguing to her fellow representatives that she should be Speaker because she is a woman.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2018 09:33 am
@engineer,
Sure Engineer... there are several, for example http://time.com/5388347/nancy-pelosi-democrats-feminism/.

You can Google as well as I can. To be honest, it was Pelosi supporters on NPR that annoyed me enough to write this thread. They used the word "Patriarchy" as if the Patriarchy represents some power structure of which Nancy Pelosi isnt fully part.
engineer

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2018 10:05 am
@maxdancona,
I don't think you got the same thing from that article that I got. I got that Pelosi is aware of her position as the only woman in leadership, not that she is saying you must vote for her because she is a woman. Other google searches from me have yielded nothing. Everything I have read including interviews with the incoming house members who Pelosi has lobbied (and flipped to her side) says that Pelosi is running on her progressive bonafides and the argument that the people who want to replace her are moderates who want to pull the party rightward.
Quote:
To be honest, it was Pelosi supporters on NPR that annoyed me enough to write this thread.

So it was not Pelosi that said you should vote for her because of her gender, it was some random people on NPR? Your vehement opposition to Pelosi is due to your vehement opposition to a couple of people interviewed on the radio and your statements about her beliefs and her approach to office are extrapolated from their beliefs?
maxdancona

Reply Fri 23 Nov, 2018 10:36 am
@engineer,
My angst is caused by the cult of gender politics that has taken over the left and the Democratic party. I think you understand this... Pelosi is just another chapter in this story. Any criticism of her or challenge to her is painted as misogyny (compared to equivalent criticisms of Paul Ryan which are fair game).

Gender politics is the reason that Hillary was nominated which resulted in Donald Trump getting into the White House. The Democrats bare doing the same thing all over again.

Pelosi is a polarizing figure in a time when the Democrats need some woman or man who can reach middle America.

1. Forums
  2. » How does anyone but Nancy Pelosi's crap.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 08:34:20