Earth 2/3 used up.

au1929

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:57 am
The WMD has been found and it was not in Iraq. The politicians of the world and particularly in the US are inexplicably unconcerned regarding this doomsday prediction.
Study: Earth 2/3 used up

OSLO - Two-thirds of the planet's resources, from energy sources to fresh water and clean air, have been heavily depleted or polluted the past 50 years, according to a sobering new report on Earth's future.Calling their study a "stark warning," the researchers cautioned that over time abrupt collapses in nature could spur disease, deforestation or "dead zones" in the oceans.

"Human activity is putting such strain on the natural functions of Earth that the ability of the planet's ecosystems to sustain future generations can no longer be taken for granted," concluded the report, prepared by 1,360 experts from 95 nations.

"Over the past 50 years, humans have changed ecosystems more rapidly and extensively than in any comparable time in human history," the study added.

Backers of the report, called the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment, included the UN and the World Bank.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,086 • Replies: 16
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:12 am
Well, that's it, then, isn't it? The sky is fallin', the end is nigh, and we might as well go ahead and max out the credit cards, since the future's been cancelled. I think I'll start by gettin' me one of them Cadillac Escalades with custom seal fur upholstery and real gold trim accents. Always wanted one of them. Thanks for the notification.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:14 am
Your welcome
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 11:15 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 06:06 pm
MY dear Au...this is what we call Disseminated Primatemaia, a plague of people.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 06:43 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Well, that's it, then, isn't it? The sky is fallin', the end is nigh, and we might as well go ahead and max out the credit cards, since the future's been cancelled. I think I'll start by gettin' me one of them Cadillac Escalades with custom seal fur upholstery and real gold trim accents. Always wanted one of them. Thanks for the notification.

Seal fur???????? Shocked

Oh my God!! You are ONE OF THEM!!!!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:03 pm
Whatsa' matta with baby seal fur?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:12 pm
Nothing says "fun" like roaming a beach full of seals with a baseball bat.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 08:18 am
This newest study, coming from people not usually thought to be on the eco-friendly list, should concern people who either are planning to live forever or have kids/grandkids.

It was pretty sobering stuff.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 08:31 am
Live while you can is the best advice. Nothing is guaranteed and the party will eventually end so pass the chips and would you like to duck upstairs for a bit?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 02:01 pm
SUV-ival in question

Well, I hate to be the one to tell you, but all of nature is about to collapse, according to a study published by something called the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment that seems to consist of every scientist in the world. The oceans, the air, the land, the whole shebang.

Mmmm ... just how are we supposed to deal with that? I suppose the public got tired of alarms being raised about this rain forest or that guppy, and they decided to tie all the various dire predictions into one big cataclysmic ball of doom and deliver it all at once.

That's the bad news. The good news is that other than crawl into a hole and die, there isn't much more we could do to save the planet, in that we're already recycling aluminum cans and avoiding Chilean sea bass. Oh, I suppose we could stop driving those giant SUVs, but nobody is willing to go that far. Not at least out of concern for the ruin of the land, sea and air - now $3 a gallon gas is an entirely different matter. It's funny - people can shrug off total global destruction, but if they have to pay an extra $40 a week, that's a crisis!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 02:57 pm
Tell ya one thing I've noticed about the-way-life-works-in-general; if the "Oh-migawd-we're-doomed" crowd are real active on an issue, any issue, its safely ignorable. Them folks have an all-but-unblemished track record goin' all the way back to clay tablets.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 03:02 pm
So now that it's the other/conservative side issuing the report, I guess it's safe to say there may be some concern.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 03:17 pm
Doomsayers come in all flavors, ehBeth. Pretty much the same basic ingredients, though.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 03:21 pm
I, for one, am deeply concerned about the precipitous decline in the populations of the Rubythroated hummingbirds. They are so tasty just lightly grilled in a garlic butter. Why the hell are they disappearing?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 3 Apr, 2005 04:33 pm
As some see it.

Limits to Growth = human overpopulation, crash and die-off

. http://dieoff.org/
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 5 Apr, 2005 12:18 pm
Whose garden was this? It must have been lovely
Did it have flowers? I've seen pictures of flowers
And I'd love to have smelled one

Tell me again, I need to know
The forests had trees, the meadows were green
The oceans were blue, and birds really flew
Can you swear that was true?

Whose garden was this? It must have been lovely
Did it have flowers? I've seen pictures of flowers
And I'd love to have smelled one

Whose river was this? You say it ran freely
Blue was its colour, I've seen blue in some pictures
And I'd love to have been there

Whose grey sky was this? Or was it a blue one?
At night there were breezes, I've heard records of breezes
And I'd love to have felt one

0 Replies