All ye creative folk, help me with branding!

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 05:06 pm
Brainstorming party! Yay!

OK, calm down, it's not that exciting. Here's my thing: I work for a non-profit that's involved in conflict resolution (ethnic, religious, communal conflict, not legal or administrative), reconciliation, and mediation. Our main focus is on getting to terms with the past in order to move forward towards peaceful cohabitation. So: focus is history, peace, harmony, diallogue... such things.
Now, we are rebuilding a website and need a new logo. As well as a new name. Currently the name of the organization is too long and cumbersome, nobody ever remembers it. I want something 'catchy', something consisting of one or two words that would convey the message. Like 'History without Hate' except not so tacky and preferably even shorter than that. I considered Mir, which is a word common in Slavic languages and means 'peace' or 'world'. If the logo was done right, it can include Institute, Mediation, and Reconciliation. I can draw, but am not a pro. Plus I am not thrilled about these ideas and would love to hear and see what others that have time on their hands and spend time, like me, goofing around online and otherwise, can come up with. I will be eternally grateful.
I hope I am not violating TOS in some way by doing this. Let the organization remain anonymous, however if anyone would like to take a look at what we have up online now, PM me.

Edit (Moderator): Unfortunately, PMing a link to a site you are affiliated with also violates the TOS. Please do not. Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,364 • Replies: 70
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 05:08 pm
I would.....
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 05:14 pm
you would what. oh, like to look at the website? oooh,ok, i'm a little slow today.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 05:30 pm
I was going to PM you, but you sent me a link before I could.... I think it looks great.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 05:34 pm
noooooo!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 05:34 pm
mmmm, but I'm easy.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 05:37 pm
I suppose "Peace R Us" wouldn't be acceptable.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 05:42 pm
by 'branding' i did not mean 'drink yourself to oblivion and make fun of poor Dag'. gimme that brandy back!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 05:42 pm
Off the top "Historethics" could be a name and a very simple
logo. ....and if I could spell, it would be even better...

http://k.domaindlx.com/geli/hys.jpg
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 05:53 pm
i like the little figures, CJ. I'm looking for something we can use on a letterhead, on leaflets, web, anywhere...

Here's a picture I snapped in Cochin, India. It's a Hindu temple, a mosque, and a synagogue, one next to another. I like it, my boss likes it, but a) i don't know if that would be clear without explanation - prolly not, and b) how to make it work as a logo of sorts...

http://iimhc.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/download/Main/WebHome/Cochin%2BHindu%2Btemple%2Band%2Bsynagogue1.JPG
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 05:57 pm
Cool photo
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 06:03 pm
hmmmm.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 06:07 pm
very cool photo
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 06:10 pm
excellent. But is it usable? If I didn't tell you what it was, would you know?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 06:23 pm
not at all usable, requires thought. do you have a target audience that needs to understand the logo?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 06:25 pm
I would not have known. Plus you are also missing a few big religions in the picture and you wouldn't want people to feel left out. Have you considered using the photo in a promotional item like a greeting card?- sort of what UNICEF would do.
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 06:58 pm
Your photo inspired a logo in my head, but I have to rig up my digital camera and snap a photo of my scribbles so somebody artistic/apt may figure something out of it...(more later)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 07:03 pm
hmmm. yes, i suppose we could use it as a background for annual report - we are about to publish one soon. you know, like a whitewash on the whole front side... that's a good idea. that way, we can also post info on what the heck it is in the photo on the inside.
littlek likes our current state-of-affairs webpage, but i dont. i especially shudder at the name of the organization, but no striking new thoughts as of yet.
gravy, i'll wait with baited breath.
one note though: i hate globes, pigeons, and branches of bayleaves - all those symbols that two out of the three international organizations have in their logos. i want to be different, yet not to the point that the logo is too confusing. you know?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 07:04 pm
in fact, green witch, i have already decided. that's precisely what we'll use the photo for. front pages of materials.

still need a name and logo... but i am starting to feel better about the whole damned thing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 07:13 pm
the individual web pages are awfully wordy

seems more like the results of someone's project than, well, something that will help to market the organization

the founder's sidebar is waaaay out of control for a sidebar
0 Replies