Neighbors complaining about our Dogs barking excessively...

Montana

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 07:05 am
I agree, Bella! I don't like anything that cause an animal pain.
0 Replies

chispita73

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 11:15 am
Bella Dea wrote:
chispita73 wrote:

I was pretty impressed with how quick our dogs learned not to bark. A week later 2 of the neighbors asked if we had gotten rid of the dogs because they hadn't heard any barking.

Of course they stopped barking quickly....barking is now associated with a shock.
Put that collar on yourself and see how much it "doesn't hurt". I worked at a pet store and am very against those shock collars. We were all asked to try them out to see what they were really like because many people want to buy them not knowing how much of a "startle" they send. Almost knocked me down. It hurt.

Bella- I agree the dogs associate barking to the shock, but the only difference between the shock and the collar with the sound is we too can feel the shock.. and not hear the sound. However the outcome is the same. The dogs will associate barking to whatever method is used to stop them from barking. Crying or Very sad

I'm sure if we could hear the noise they hear we'd think that was cruel too. Besides it's not like we have the collar on them the whole day as punishment.. We give them treats for not barking when they DON'T have the collar on.

I am also against anything that can hurt any helpless animal... they are all "helpless" since they really can't tell us what works for them and what doesn't, we just think we know based on their reaction.

And based on my dogs reaction to the shock collar, they don't like it so they don't bark. They are learning that not barking is a good thing and they get treats.. It was either find a way to "train" them not to bark or get rid of them.. I couldn't let that happen.. Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 11:32 am
I wasn't trying to be mean...I hope you dont think that. I am sick and feeling just yucky and vile today.
0 Replies

chispita73

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 12:33 pm
Bella - No worries.. :-)

Hope you feel better.
0 Replies

winston-bill

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 10:02 pm
barking dogs
This worked for us; our two dogs started "fence fighting" with the new neighbors dogs. It was awful. I decided to put a nozzle on my garden hose and would hose the dogs with the high power option on the nozzle. Peace again. They still have the desire, but all I have to do now is pick up the hose and they clear away from the fence. We never leave them outside unattended. I don't like the shock collar because it is indiscriminate, the dog would be corrected any time it barked. But I can't say I've ever used a shock collar, I guess it is the same idea as the garden hose.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 May, 2005 11:35 pm
I will post here first before I go back and read all the posts before this, so I am sort of posting into space...

but I care for a certain welsh corgi, see my avatar, who barks when he damn well feels like it, which is often but neer without reason. Well, often, depending on where he is re the traffic that goes by, which is plenty of reason.

Your corgi is apt to be performing re usually herd guarding requirements.
0 Replies