Trump Blows Off Veterans Observance

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 08:33 am
So the President decides not to honor our WWI vets due to rain? I guess all that stand for the national anthem or be fired stuff was for the little people. I really don't expect much from this particular president, but leaving our allies to memorialize our war dead while he avoids the rain is a bit much. Showing up on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month should be considered an absolute requirement of the job.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 1,748 • Replies: 27

eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 08:50 am
Yet he's good for a game of golf in the rain.

I reckon he wanted to look pretty for his Master, didn't want his (whatever that is on the top of his head) getting wet.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 08:57 am
@engineer,
To be fair: he didn't take the bus like the rabble of the other heads of states/governments today nor did he walk with them.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 08:58 am
@engineer,
This is such a politically stupid thing to do.... I don't understand it. Doesn't Trump have an adviser who can tell him "Sir, you are about to look like an asshole... just stand here and be respectful"?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 09:08 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Doesn't Trump have an adviser who can tell him "Sir, you are about to look like an asshole... just stand here and be respectful"?
When I wrote about this on a different thread yesterday, I got a plausible, all-encompassing answer:

coldjoint wrote:
Trump's weatherman is the only one that counts here.
engineer

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 09:21 am
@maxdancona,
Didn't he fly to France (at presumably great expense) solely for the purpose of going to this ceremony? Pictures of the previous President standing in the rain for veterans are making the rounds.
maxdancona

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 09:30 am
@Walter Hinteler,
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."
-Bob Dylan
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 09:41 am
@engineer,
https://i.imgur.com/cVntSrP.jpg
You must admit that playing golf when it's raining looks smarter!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 11:03 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

This is such a politically stupid thing to do.... I don't understand it. Doesn't Trump have an adviser who can tell him "Sir, you are about to look like an asshole... just stand here and be respectful"?
He fired all those people, or they quit (if they were ever there in the first place).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 11:37 am
Didn't he show up the next day, when he could have the spotlight to himself?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 11:45 am
@edgarblythe,
Not there but he visited the Suresnes American Cemetery today.

Quote:
A panoramic view of Paris can be seen from the site, which is located high on the slopes of Mont Valérien.

https://i.imgur.com/vbjhCwa.jpg
(Screenshot from French tv)
glitterbag

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 01:30 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Trump is the personification of everything the founders feared could happen when they crafted the Constitution. I’m profoundly embarrassed.
0 Replies

laughoutlood

Reply Sun 11 Nov, 2018 07:10 pm
Stop the rain.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 12:25 pm
Trump has been gently mocked by the official Twitter account of the French army.

Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/gHeP4aj.jpg

Using the hashtag #MondayMotivation, they posted a picture of a soldier training, with the caption: Il y a de la pluie, mais c’est pas grave ("It is raining, but it’s not serious.")

ehBeth

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 01:07 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
#45 not going to Arlington this afternoon as originally scheduled

can't be bothered with respect for active duty troops, veterans or those that died protecting the US and its allies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 09:51 pm
@ehBeth,
And I bet you were right there wringing your hands when Obama was accused of disrespecting the troops.Hypocrite.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 10:07 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Don't be ridiculous......the only time Trump cheered up was when Putin showed up to the ceremonies in Paris. That foolish man thinks he can make friends with dictators....and they welcome him because they know a sucker when they see one.

Let me guess, you were as equally bereft when you imagined Obama 'disrespected' the troops as you are embarrassed over Trumps' lackluster appearance, because he could not be the center of attention. He could not be cajoled to honor the American war dead buried in France.......it was planned for the hour and day one hundred years prior when the guns went silent......Let's face it, Trump is a 72 year old adolescent who deeply resents anyone (including our soldiers who died in the Great War) getting moire attention then Numero Zero.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 10:11 pm
@glitterbag,
Just how am I being ridiculous?

You guessed wrong.

I don't make much of these silly accusations of slighting the troops, whether it was with Obama or Trump.

glitterbag

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 10:14 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Pardon me, you think Trump was presidential when he decided to pout and sulk in his room. He was tinkling on the graves of the people who fought for our freedom. He couldn't be bothered.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 12 Nov, 2018 10:19 pm
@glitterbag,
Well, you've once again demonstrated your partisanship, unless you can offer up a condemnation, of yours, of one of the many times Obama disrespected the troops.

This is a silly hypocritical game in which you obviously are happy to indulge.