YOUR FIRST FAVORITE SINGER

roger

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 11:15 pm
Patsy Cline beats everything for country singing. It was a mistake for her to try The Wayward Winds. Gogi did it much better.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 11:21 pm
I love Patsy to Rog and Waylan. Actually I think Patsy Cline had the best voice in the world.

When I live in Virginia I used to drive out to her home town (having a senior moment) and listen to all her songs.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 11:23 pm
I once visited a little shrine/museum about Patsy in Winchester(?) Virginia.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 11:27 pm
Thanks mac11, Winchester it the spot. A quaint little town in the Blue Ride about 80 miles from D.C.
0 Replies

valgalmypal

Reply Mon 13 Oct, 2003 02:02 pm
Amy Grant
0 Replies

tatugurl03

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 03:21 pm
Does anyone in here like Daniel bedingfield?
*nsync? Backstreetboys? Creedence Clearwater? I know they are mostly teenage bands but some of you people have got to have heard of the last one!

-tatugurl03
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:25 pm
Yeah, CCR is one of my favorites.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:37 pm
Can remember mom playing Tom Jones records and Englebert Humperdink...who i thought was very handsome...I had a thing for Elton John, David Bowie and The Commodores...Still think 70's music is the best...I remeber begging to get Three Dog Nigt's "Joy to the World" But had very eclectic tastes even waaaaaaayyyyy back then...haha...
I loved Jermaine as well...my favorite Jackson at the time....Dad loved country music...If I ever hear a Jim Reeves tune...eeeeeeeeek....Oh, and Loved Helen Reddy...haha
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:39 pm
I have to say, (no offense) I HATED Helen Reddy! Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:41 pm
Delta Dawn was my favorite song for a long time fealola...hehehe....remember those plastic tape players with the exaggerated handles...in really bright colors...but again i digress...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:43 pm
I was mad about Jermaine and loved his rendition of "Bridge Over Troubled Waters."
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:46 pm
Actually, don't think me strange, but Clay Akins version of "Bridge..." that he performed on the show was incredible..it knocked my socks off.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:57 pm
i remember way back when. i kept singing this song over and over driving my parents crazy

Trailer for sale or rent
Rooms to let...fifty cents.
No phone, no pool, no pets
I ain't got no cigarettes
Ah, but..two hours of pushin' broom
Buys an eight by twelve four-bit room
I'm a man of means by no means
King of the road.

Third boxcar, midnight train
Destination...Bangor, Maine.
Old worn out clothes and shoes,
I don't pay no union dues,
I smoke old stogies I have found
Short, but not too big around
King of the road.

I know every engineer on every train
All of their children, and all of their names
And every handout in every town
And every lock that ain't locked
When no one's around.

I sing,
Trailers for sale or rent
Rooms to let, fifty cents
No phone, no pool, no pets
I ain't got no cigarettes
Ah, but, two hours of pushin' broom
Buys an eight by twelve four-bit room
King of the road.

musta been roger miller
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 08:59 pm
That brings Jim Stafford to mind peuo and I have no logical explanation...anyone remember " I Don't Like Spiders and Snakes"?
0 Replies

Jezzy

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 10:11 pm
Linda Ronstadt and Joni Mitchell .. sorry I couldn't choose between them ... lol
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:07 am
I don't have to think twice about my favorite female singer. It's Joan Baez.

Sofia:
I saw Charley Pride perform at a small theater in Uniontown, Pa. He was great and so sweet. A friend of mine was crazy about him and I bought a lot of his records at the time, but after seeing him perform live, his records didn't do him justice.

I also saw Waylon Jennings (who wouldn't sing until the audience was absolutely quiet - told them not to applaud after each song), Ronnie Milsap, Kris Kristoffersen, Don Williams, and lots of other country singers at that little theater. It was great.)

At one time, I was crazy about The Moody Blues, Pink Floyd, Emerson, Lake and Palmer, Jethro Tull, Peter, Paul and Mary and Simon and Garfunkel.

Fealola: Who didn't have a crush on Harry Belafonte? I saw him in a live performance in later years and he blew the audience away.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:18 am
Raggedy, I'm surprised you are the first to mention Harry Belefonte. When I was older, I was addicted to his "Live at Carnegie Hall" album. The one with Miriam Mekeba.

I also loved PP&M, saw them several times in the sixties at the Syria Mosque in Pittsburgh. I loved that place. I saw alot of others there, too, Richie Havens, who was so blitzed he talked through 90% of his act, Deep Purple, Leon Russell and Dr. John, Bette Midler, before she was famous, Gordon Lightfoot and several Operas. My favorite seat was first row of the first balcony!

Waylon Jennings was a very intense man, I was up close to him once, but I loved his music. Saw him perform solo and with "The Highwaymen" which was Waylon, Willie, Kris Kristoferson and Johnny Cash. That was great!
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2003 07:44 am
Female singers hard to say...Ann Wilson is way up there... Aretha Franklin well........Damn!!!! Chaka Kahn before the heroin got her, and she got a lot of it back when she recovered....Whitney Houston.

little k re Karen Carpenter, you know what's really bizarre? If Mama Cass would have sent that last bologna sandwich over to Karen, they might both still be alive. Shocked
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 04:57 am
Very Happy, I do believe you folks do better when I am not around.
0 Replies

petunia555555

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2003 05:12 am
Vic Damone, Brenda Lee, Connie Francis...These were on the radio my Mom listened to, and I actually love their voices...

My First and very own favorite is Neil Diamond, not so much because of his voice, but I loved his songs and he is forever my Neil Baby.... I can hear a collective yuck...we went to see him in Kansas City, probably 15 years ago...even my Mom was on her feet...it was fun and great...
0 Replies