YOUR FIRST FAVORITE SINGER

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 04:09 am
If you played songs from the 50's, I would nod my head and say, "Yea, I like that song." However, Elvis, is the only singer's name that stuck with me. I remember dancing with Patsy Howard to the vocals of LOVE ME TENDER. Yipe, ELVIS is my first favorite singer.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,446 • Replies: 60
No top replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 04:12 am
I don't know how mine could be anyone but Paul. As in John, Paul, George, and Ringo.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 04:47 am
50's is too early for me. My first favourite singer was John Farnham. My current favourite singer is John Farnham.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 05:23 am
Who is John Farnham, no disrespect intended.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 05:35 am
he he here's the short version.

In a country of 20 million people John Farnham is the one Australian artist who stages arena sized concerts whenever he tours to satisfy the demand. He is without challenge Australia's most successful solo artist, on stage and on record. His Whispering Jack album was the first album to sell over a million copies in Australia alone.

In September 1967 at the age of 18 he was signed to a recording contract and in December of that year released the novelty single " Sadie The Cleaning Lady" which became the biggest selling single in Australia at that time. As a song the record's success almost defies logic. What fans were responding to was "Johnny" Farnham's bright boy-next-door personality. He was someone teenage girls and the mothers could both like. Farnham was also a fine singer and survived "Sadie" to release a long string of pop hits between 1967 and 1973, including the local hit versions of Three Dog Night's "One", B J Thomas' "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" (#1) and David Cassidy's "Rock Me Baby. He also starred in the stage musicals Dick Whittington And His Cat, Charlie Girl and Pippin. His schedule denied Farnham trying his luck internationally or developing on record. Success continued virtually on the basis of his talent and that personality alone and in the late to mid seventies his career was reduced to nightclub and cabaret performances trading on his past. Even his record company lost faith in him and dropped him.

In 1980, changing from Johnny to the more mature John Farnham, he set about resurrecting his career. The trigger was a dramatically rearranged impassioned performance of the Beatles' "Help" on a nationally broadcast Royal Command TV concert. He reminded everyone what a fine singer he was, and in July released Uncovered, a well received comeback album recorded under the production eye of Little River Band's Graham Goble. In September 1982 long-time Farnham fan Goble was inspired to convince the rest of LRB they should take the radical move of removing Glenn Shorrock, singer of all the band's hits, and making Farnham their lead singer. The band's American record company was in shock. So were non-Australian fans. It was a hurdle Farnham could not overcome, and at the end of 1985 he left LRB and began work on a new make or break solo album.

The anthemic single "You're The Voice restored Farnham to #1 for the first time in 17 years. The carefully crafted adult contemporary October 1986 album Whispering Jack was No.1 for 18 weeks, and became the biggest selling album in Australian history. "You're The Voice" sold a million copies in Europe and reached the top ten in England. A consummate singer and performer since 1986 Farnham has been Australia's No.1 attraction, with successive big selling albums and sold out concert tours. International interest has continued to beckon but the dedicated family man is happy with his career as it is.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 05:44 am
Thanks, I liked Little River Band. Still have a couple of their albums, I think.(vinyl)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 05:54 am
My very first favorite singer - possibly Hank Williams. My Mom kept the radio on country sation KRDU in Dinuba CA all day long. I was also very fond of Eddy Arnold's CATTLE CALL.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 06:30 am
My first fave singer is easy: Jim Croce.

My current fave isn't so easy. Too many choices! :-D
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 06:34 am
Eddie Fisher- I went with my girlfriend to the Paramount Theatre in NY. He was performing, along with the 3-D Movie, "House Of Wax". We waited on line a long time. When we got in all the girls were screaming and yelling.

We returned later in the week, and sat near the front of the theatre. When he did his "patter thing with the audience, we brought out a tie that we had bought, and asked him to exchange it for the one he was wearing.

Afterwards, my friend and I went to Times Square. One of those booths that make those picture strips was there, and there was a scissors attached to it to cut the pictures. We cut the tie in half, and I got the front half. I still have it in a scrapbook that I kept about him.

He had so much promise. It was really sad what happened to him. With his drugging and drinking, he really became a burnout. Years later, I saw him perform, for the first time in years, in a hotel. He was a shell of his former self.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 06:47 am
This is a tough question. When I first read the question I went back to when I was a little girl which would have been the Partridge family or something like that. I know Elton John was one of my first.
0 Replies

Bluxx

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 06:55 am
I'm only 23, but my Dad LOVED the Beatles---so I have to say that my favorite singer was George Harrison, and I always thought that he was the cutest. :wink:
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 07:13 am
Elvis was up there with me as well. Mom is a big Elvis fan even to this day.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 07:16 am
Phoenix
Eddy Fisher had some very good records. My favorite was Cindy Oh Cindy.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 07:37 am
For the younger folks in the crowd, Carrie Fisher, of "Star Wars" fame, is Eddie Fisher's daughter!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 09:51 am
Jon Anderson, lead singer for Yes.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 10:33 am
I must confess - Michael Jackson. I went to a Jackson 5 concert when I was 14 and he was amazing.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 11:18 am
macsm, agreed.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2003 12:29 pm
agreed, agreed. Actually, his brother Jermaine was my favorite singer.
0 Replies

Sanndyden3

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 01:12 pm
Favourite singer
...I have a choice of 2...one has to b Joni Mitchell...although I am too young to have seen her first hand...what an amazing voice ..and she chain smoked!!!!I have just learned Big Yellow Taxi and played it at a music venue recently in Peston UK....(She was one of the best song writers on earth also...pity there's nowt new.....by her...)

Second fav...Stevie Nicks...before she got out of the rock and roll and into the drugs.....

ALL THE bEST...

Sandy...
P.S Sandy Denny was ace also....... Very Happy
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:10 pm
My first favorite singer was- <choke> please forgive me- Bobby Rydell. Best known for his role in "Bye Bye Birdie"
0 Replies