Is the Human Race on a Suicide Mission?

Olivier5

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 02:42 am
@livinglava,
Quote:
why don't you think about what you can do as an individual to promote and effectuate changes at every level, including local/regional/national/supernational etc.? 

That's exactly what I am doing.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 02:46 am
@georgeob1,
I'm not interested in your posturing and avoidance of facts, that's for sure. Show some intellectual courage and honesty, and then I'll read you and discuss with you, mon général.
Setanta

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 07:15 am
Ah, how trenchant is your argument. I have, of course, reported your post for name-calling.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 07:29 am
@Setanta,
Good one.
livinglava

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 07:45 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

Quote:
why don't you think about what you can do as an individual to promote and effectuate changes at every level, including local/regional/national/supernational etc.? 

That's exactly what I am doing.

Blaming nations doesn't help. It only pacifies people into thinking they can just go with the national flow because their governments support the Paris accord.

Government is the opium of the people.

There is a global economy. Welfare states around the world are investing in markets in the US, Asia, etc. to pay lucrative benefits to their beneficiaries. Just because the beneficiaries live in Europe or somewhere else whose carbon footprint seems to be lower than somewhere else doesn't matter. They are still making money and/or benefiting from economic activity that is occurring in China, the US, and other economies with higher CO2 output and/or lower CO2 absorption.

E.g. it doesn't make sense for Europeans and Chinese to complain about US tariffs if they are serious about reducing greenhouse gases. Not only do the tariffs encourage lighter products by taxing metals by weight, but they discourage ocean shipping, which is a huge cause of CO2 emissions. When these 'nations' ship cars and car parts to the USA, they are contributing to the problem of US auto emissions as much as any US automaker is. Likewise when they ship oil and LNG. You can't sell people products that harm the environment and then deny you facilitated their polluting activities.
Setanta

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 08:09 am
@maporsche,
I don't know how I missed this the first time around. If the population of the planet was 1.9 billion in 1937 (that's what it was when I was born, five years after the second world war ended), then the 100,000,000 who died in the second world war, a conservative estimate, represented more than 5% of the world population.

I suggest that you leave history alone, unless you do some 40 or 50 years of reading--personally, I began reading history in 1957.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 08:11 am
@edgarblythe,
You know, EB, I've been in this thread since page one. I've enjoyed it, but LL and Olivier really need to get a room.
livinglava

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 08:16 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You know, EB, I've been in this thread since page one. I've enjoyed it, but LL and Olivier really need to get a room.

Why don't you post something worth discussing so it's not just us?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 10:53 am
I have--apparently, you haven't been reading along.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 11:07 am
@livinglava,
I think governments have a role to play. What is it to you? Why are so argumentative about it?
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 03:20 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

I'm not interested in your posturing and avoidance of facts, that's for sure. Show some intellectual courage and honesty, and then I'll read you and discuss with you, mon général.

To what "facts" do you refer? So far I have seen very little in the way of concrete factual discussion from you - only various condemnations of supposed disbelief.

There are a number of salient facts that threaten an effective world-wide response to the challenge, and you have avoided discussion of all of them. For example;
1. Fast developing nations in Asia, prominently including China and India, and many other south Asia nations in between, are (understandably) placing a higher value on rapid economic development than in reducing equally fast rising CO2 emissions, in part for the political purposes of their governments. For this reason Western advocates of coordinated worldwide action tend to give them a pass on needed ( see Paris Accords) actions. However, arresting the warming trend will require such action on their part, and the Western nations can do it alone only by effectively shutting down their own economies - a fact not yet faced in current IPCC policy.

2. The social, economic and political concerns driving China, India and the others are hardly unique to them. No government I'm aware of yet has the political power to impose the prescriptions of AGW zealots on their populations, without being overthrown, and none so far have been willing to try.
A decade ago Chancellor Merkel, in order to undercut the then powerful Green Party in Germany, directed the quick shutdown of about 40% of Germany's Nuclear power plants and prohibited the construction of replacements. The replacement for this rich source of electrical energy was largely coal-fired plants, and despite extensive continuing efforts in the development of wind power, the rise in coal consumption ( and emissions) continues today.
President Macron of France has similarly issued a policy statement calling out for the phase out of the French nuclear power establishment (which today produces over 70% of France's electrical power). Accompanying that he imposed new taxes on the consumption of petroleum fuels (perhaps as a step towards compensation). The result was a continuing public uprising against the new taxes and, for now at least, the withdrawal of Macron's new taxes themselves. The possibility of replacing the ~70% of France's electrical power with wind and solar in the next century is about zero. Meanwhile Macron proceeds in a leadership role for the Paris accords which, if France follows the policy Macron has outlined, France will surely fail to come even close to the emission reductions they have so piously promised.
These contradictions are not unique to Germany and France - all nations face them. The United States has created a regulatory regime that effectively prohibits the construction of new nuclear power stations, putting us on, but a little behind, the same road as Germany and France. So far the gains from widespread fracking for both natural gas and high quality petroleum have yielded enough gains in both costs and emissions to create the illusion that we can continue on this path while continuing the reduction in our emissions. However that won't in yield the desired long-term outcome - the benefits of replacing coal with natural gas sources having a bit less than half the emissions are real, but don't continue long if we are, at the same time, shutting down a zero emissions source of the same magnitude. Meanwhile continued investments in new wind and solar plants, have more than doubled their total power output , raising it from a miniscule to a still very small total of total consumption - hardly a solution.
Canada has abundant natural sources of both coal and petroleum. It is (like the United States) vigorously pursuing export markets for b0th. About 60% of that is bitumen extracted from tar sands, a process which itself requires energy about equal to that released in the final product, making this a source of energy about equivalent to that of coal in terms of associated emissions. Meanwhile per capita emissions remain very high.

3. Ongoing rapid economic development in Africa and South America will yield situations analogous to those described above , and with populations likely no more inclined to accept the required constraints on their standard of living than their European, American or Chinese counterparts.

In view of all this it is extremely difficult to describe the various actions being prescribed by AGW zealots as a "solution" to the problem they foresee. Either more action, well beyond that which even the governments of developed countries are able to achieve with tolerable social and political outcomes, will be required, or we will have to learn to live and cope with the effects of continued warming - or both. So far I see very little in the way of a candid acknowledgment of these facts in the public discourse.

It appears that some AGW zealots are trying to scare us into harsh government actions that will likely yield only revolution and disorder. However, the fact is that the rate of warming has been consistently less than they have forecast. More rational, executable, and effective solutions than those they have prescribed are indeed available, if we focus on both mitigating the effects of warming, and reducing the emissions that are contributing to it. Using the best currently available reduced emissions fuels and technologies to extend the time available for developing advanced new low/zero emissions technologies will like be essential for this to occur. That means, among other things, more fracking for low emissions natural gas and the continued use of nuclear power.

None of these contradictions are openly acknowledged by most AGW zealots. If we are to find a solution that must change.

georgeob1

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 04:24 pm
Meanwhile, the sweet smell of gingerbread and other seasonal condiments is filling the house. Children and grandkids arriving soon: time to enjoy the holiday.

My best wishes to all here for a happy Christmas season !
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 04:33 pm
@georgeob1,
your discussion re: the reductions of NOx/SOx and the chloroflourocarbons that seemed to parallel the end of the proejected Ice Age and the increase in the CO2, made me research the photochemistry of the compounds and I was amazed at the knowledge we seem to have amassed.
I was a fan of Dansgaard Oeshger Cycles wobbles, etc and natural cyclicity. Im now (thanks to seeing the above relationships in acid
cycles) more tuned to anthro ' .

Im not sure why Some others are wanting to skewer your opinions about GW. Politically, I think I see things much differently than you but I appreciate your knowledge in this climate science arena. I dont claim any P-chem knowledge in climate science except for that data by Rich Alley and his ice core paleoclimatology. So iVe always looked at natural cycles and climate catastrophies as engines of biology. Its taken me two decades to accept much of the IPCC data. Fortunately Alley has always been a source of enlightenment .
Among The hardest things in science includes bridging the discussion gap between popular and technical science.

Glennn

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 06:14 pm
@farmerman,
The IPCC is the primary proponent of dramatic global warming, yet its argument is fundamentally flawed because of the way it selectively uses science and manipulates data to support its views. The particularly concerning areas include:

-the lack of consideration of views apposing its own (true science considers opposing views)
-the nature of IPCC's existence is a conflict of interest
-manipulation of the data
-political funding biases

There is no question about climate change. It changes all the time and has done so naturally all for centuries. This is not, however, reflected in the IPCC's selective use of 'science'. It's manipulation of research data and opinion has fueled an extremely biased view that does not reflect the planet's actual climate.

True science is empirical and replicated--it constantly probes doubts, investigates, examines, and welcomes dissent. Yet the IPCC did not invite one single person who did not agree with its pre-decided outcome for major reports to review or comment on them. IPCC has published five reports since 1990, the latest being No.5 in 2013. For this No.5 report, it was claimed that a 95% consensus–that global warming is both occurring and man-made–exist, in spite of overwhelming evidence of nil, or minimal natural, warming. Of 11,944 papers considered, only 41of them actually claim global warming is caused by man-made CO2 (that's an alarming or 0.3 of 1%). Those that disproved global warming were dismissed. Lord Christopher Monckton (2013) of the UK's Science and Public Policy Institute has released an exhaustive statistical research paper that concludes that scientific consensus affirming man-made global warming is just 0.3%, not 97% claimed by the global warming whiners.

The IPCC is a conflicted institution pushing a mandate that lacks true scientific rigor. Moore (2013) says: "by its constitution, the IPCC has a hopeless conflict of interest. Its mandate is to consider only the human causes of global warming, not the many natural causes changing the climate for billions of years. If the IPCC did not find humans were the cause of warming, there would be no need for the IPCC under its present mandate. To survive, it must find on the side of the apocalypse. The IPCC should either have its mandate expanded to include all causes of climate change, or it should be dismantled."

For about 25 years, the IPCC's climate predictions have been far from accurate. In addition to not welcoming nor considering dissenting opinion, there has been an increasing and continuous legacy of evidence that data has been manipulated.  

There are countless examples of the data manipulation (please see Appendix C). The levels of deception stretch across all the data involved. In any developed country, to seek public funding by tampering with data would see the culprits jailed.

https://www.mfe.govt.nz/sites/default/files/media/Davison%20Michael%2009053.pdf

So now we can get back to this:

Is Global Warming Caused by Rising CO2?

No tangible, physical evidence exists for a cause–and–effect relationship between changing atmospheric CO2 and global temperature changes over the last 150 years. The fact that CO2 is a greenhouse gas and that CO2 has increased doesn’t prove that CO2 has caused the warming phases observed from 1915 to 1945 and 1977 to 1998. As shown by isotope measurements from ice cores in Greenland and Antarctica and by measurements of atmospheric CO2 during El Nino warming, oceans emit more CO2 into the atmosphere during climatic warming. The ice core records indicate that after the last Ice Age, temperatures rose for about 600–800 years before atmospheric CO2 rose, showing that climatic warming caused CO2 to rise, not vice versa. The present high level of atmospheric CO2 may be the result of human input, but the contribution that it makes to global warming is very small.

Global warming of ~0.4° C occurred from about 1910 to 1940 without any significant increase in atmospheric CO2. Global cooling occurred from the mid 1940s to 1977 despite soaring CO2 in the atmosphere (Fig. 12A,B). Global temperatures and CO2 both increased from 1977 to 1998 but that doesn’t prove that the warming was caused by increased CO2. Although CO2 has risen from 1998 to 2008 no global warming has occurred. In fact, the climate has cooled. Thus, global warming bears almost no correlation with rising atmospheric CO2.

http://myweb.wwu.edu/dbunny/pdfs/CO2_atmospheric-carbon-dioxide.pdf
Setanta

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 07:12 pm
No one is going to "arrest" the warming trend. The reason to reduce greenhouse gases is to mitigate the effects. The climate will warm, and over the next several centuries, no matter what humans do.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 07:33 pm
@Glennn,
apparently youve never gone to an AGU conference. Arguments re: ALL climate and data monitoring is discussed, argued over, nd comments forwarded.

Glennn

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2018 08:15 pm
@farmerman,
Why don't you post their data, and then we can compare that to what I've posted and have yet to post.

We've already debunked the "97%" consensus claim.

One of those who objected to the “predetermined” conclusions of such models was Dr. Richard Lindzen, the Alfred P. Sloan professor of meteorology at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

His 1992 paper pointed out that the models ignored other important factors that would have had cooling effects – namely, water vapor, cloud cover, and oceans.

Lindzen also noted that global temperatures had risen in the 1920s and 1930s when carbon dioxide emissions were comparatively low but fell back between 1940 and the 1970s when emissions were rising much more steeply.

He also concluded that the models would have predicted a 20th-century warming four times more than actually recorded. Some of Lindzen’s criticisms are demonstrated in the chart below, from NASA GISS data.

https://principia-scientific.org/global-warming-the-evolution-of-a-hoax/
Olivier5

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2018 03:04 am
@georgeob1,
None of your ‘facts’ is true, mon général... As usual. Most Americans are so deeply disinformed about this matter that it makes any discussion almost impossible. It’s like talking to a 9/11 ‘truther’...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2018 05:55 am
@Glennn,
no you havent. The GW denialist conspiracy is well written about in the literature. Since youre an admitted 9/11 denialist, GW denial is in agreement with your ways of thinking.

I believe that you deny e were on the moon also??
hightor

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2018 06:28 am
Scientists confirm there was never a ‘pause’ in global warming

Quote:
A presumed slowdown in global warming during the first decade of the 21st century, and an alleged divergence between projections from climate models and observations, have attracted considerable research attention. Even though the Earth's climate has long been known to fluctuate on a range of temporal scales (Climate Research Committee, National Research Council 1995), the most recent fluctuation has been singled out as a seemingly unique phenomenon, being identified as 'the pause' or 'the hiatus.' By the end of 2017, the 'pause' had been the subject of more than 200 peer-reviewed articles.

(...)

Some of the biases affecting datasets and model projections were either known or at least knowable at the time. It is thus reasonable to ask what factors led some scientists to the view that climate warming lagged behind modeled warming trends?

One contributory factor appears to be a failure of communication between surface temperature data providers and surface temperature data users; in this case the climate modeling community. The communication of the limitations of observational datasets from providers to users is often problematic, since it generally involves a deeper understanding of the data than is required for their use. Data users have to be experts in their own problem domains, and will not usually be able to become experts in the surface temperature data and associated literature as well. To illustrate, numerous articles in the corpus omitted mentioning whether the model output was masked to the coverage of HadCRUT. We are unsure whether this means masking was not performed or was taken for granted and hence not mentioned in the Methods. This presents a clear case of room for improvement in reporting. Some temperature data providers have attempted to address these issues by providing ensembles of temperature reconstructions, however these are often not used, and typically do not address known but uncorrected biases in the data.

(...)

A final but separate question is why scientists put such emphasis on the 'pause', when the evidence for its existence has been scant. We have argued elsewhere that constant public and political pressure by climate contrarians may have caused scientists to take positions that they would not have taken in the absence of such opposition. The present analysis sets the stage for an exploration of the mechanisms by which this may have occurred, which will be the focus of future contributions.

iopscience
0 Replies