Who was your tv hero from days gone by?

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 05:36 pm
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/36600000/Katilicious-image-katilicious-36689633-400-288.png
I recall seeing the above photo of the legendary Fred Mertz when I was a child and wondering who the lucky person was on the other end of the line. I let my imagination run wild and pretended it was me. "Hi, Gus. Fred here. What's up, little buddy?"
But I knew such a big Hollywood star would have no time for a simple farm child so I attempted to emulate him, hoping one day to achieve such heights. I dressed like him, talked like him, wore similar clothes.
The rest of the kids would taunt me. They all pretended to be John Wayne or the Rifleman, or Kirk Douglas. They would point at me and laugh, "Look at Gustav! He thinks he is Fred Mertz! Hahahahahahaa!"
Their verbals barbs bounced off me like rubber-tipped darts. No harm was done. I was Fred Mertz, all-powerful and invincible.
I still mourn the passing of Fred Mertz and I find myself slowly evolving into that legendary giant of yesteryear.

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 05:41 pm
For me it was Tim Conway. I kept at it and now I can actually walk like his hundred year old man. I say "Norky" a lot.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 05:44 pm
Tim Conway is an excellent choice and I can see the similarity there, Edgar. Congratulations on a job well done!
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 05:50 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
When I do the hundred year man walk, it's no longer a simulation.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 06:00 pm
You will be ok, Edgar. You can't expect to be as spry as me for all time. A man has to know his limitations and deal with them. Your mind is still sharp as a tack even though your walk has been reduced to that of a earthbound sea turtle.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 06:28 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
Actually, I get around quite well for 76. And I am midway through writing a cowboy novel. I expect one day readers of the genre will say, "Zane who? Read edgar's cowboy novel instead. It's a ringtailed ripsnorter of a cliched yarn."
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 06:49 pm
I hope your novel can rival "The Ox-Bow Incident", Edgar. A magnificent novel and one worth your challenge.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 06:51 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
An exemplary novel, Gus. Mine is not so fine as that, but it does strike out against the Texans' prejudice against Mexicans.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 06:57 pm
Carry on, my friend. I can only hope and pray for a bestseller. Then, I can say, "I know EdgarBlythe. He is a friend of mine."
The audience will gasp and say things like, "You know Edgar!" and "You must be mistaken! Not EdgarBlythe! The novelist?"
And I will smugly say, "Yes, that very same Edgar. A friend of mine for many years"
And a silence will fall over the community.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 07:03 pm
Thank you, Gus. I shall endeavor to live up to your expectations. Meantime, I want you to know I consider Fred Mertz the true star of that TV show.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 07:29 pm
Thank you, Edgar. I am going to send you a Fred Mertz action figure in the very near future.
laughoutlood

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 10:47 pm
Howard Gaye "Intolerance" 1916. When he rode into town on that capybara it was prophetic.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/86/Intolerance_%281916%29_-_Nazarene_-_He_Who_Is_Without_Sin.jpg/220px-Intolerance_%281916%29_-_Nazarene_-_He_Who_Is_Without_Sin.jpg
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 11:19 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
Julia Child was my heroine of all time. She could cook away and despite her great physical challenges she would succeed at making something great out of merely two ingredients. She was a great storehouse of recipes that I admired and envied, she didnt often mix em up and when she did she would discover anew fabric or gluestuff
.Early on, because of her talent and drive I wanted to become a chef so I started by becoming a short order cook at a restaurant/Diner between Hollidaysburg nd Altoona Pennsylvania. That didnt work out because, unlike Julia, I had no patience with short ordering as I always tried to shave time by jacking the temperatures and , besides , I had a violent temper so my kitchen wall, That part of the wall over the griddle where they always cover it in polished Aluminum diamond plate, was covered with flung eggs and bits of burnt toast and sausage patties. Julia never told me that you had to start with bacon and eggs, bacon and eggs nd toast, and them goddam home fries . Got so I really hated mornings.

So I started drinking and quit cooking , damn bitch. I soon realized I shoulda watched Dr Phil instead of Julia.
. Im still afraid of clowns and cooking, and Saran Wrap, Im fraid of Saran Wrap.

Glad you were there to listen Gus, by just listening Youve provided the many gram equivalents of half an acre of nepenth.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2018 02:43 pm
@gustavratzenhofer,
Skippy the Bush Kangaroo.

She was like a big sister.
George

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2018 03:22 pm
@dlowan,
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2018 03:28 pm
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9b/Ken_Osmond_1962.jpg

Eddie Haskell.
He taught me the power of sincerity.
Once you can fake that, Bob's your uncle.
dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2018 04:01 pm
@George,
So true
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2018 08:28 am
@gustavratzenhofer,
Herve Vilchez
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2018 06:34 am
Michael Landon starting with Ponderosa

Edgar, when you get published, please send me book title in private message or publicly, whichever.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Oct, 2018 06:36 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Michael Landon starting with Ponderosa

Edgar, when you get published, please send me book title in private message or publicly, whichever.

Right now the title gets changed frequently.

1. Forums
  2. » Who was your tv hero from days gone by?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 11:27:05