11

Journalist Khashoggi’s murder

3  
Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 12:29 pm
I was unaware of that monument. Kennedy was assassinated on a Friday, November 1963 and I remember vividly exactly where I was, who I was with when the announcement came over the PA system. It got very quiet, none of the students spoke, it was the end of the day and we all headed home. Oppressive somberness swept over the school and our life. Everything just stopped for a few days. Hopefully we never see anything like that again.
lmur

3  
Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 01:01 pm
@glitterbag,
As an aside, my parents arrived back from their honeymoon on the day Kennedy was shot. They arrived back in Ireland not knowing what had occurred. A news reporter thrust a microphone into my mother's face and asked her what she thought of what had happened to JFK. My mother assumed the reporter was referring to JFK's visit to the old sod just five months previously and replied" "Oh, it was wonderful. Marvellous."

1  
Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 01:09 pm
@lmur,
She must have felt terrible, what a shock for her.

1  
Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 01:14 pm
@glitterbag,
In the same acre of land there's also a monument to the Magna Carta paid for by the Americans.

2  
Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 01:17 pm
Very nice.

2  
Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 01:19 pm
I was working at the John Nance Garner State Park, with a brother and an uncle. On the way home, we stopped at a small store to buy soft drinks. I heard Uncle Henry say, "Hey." He was pointing at a newspaper rack. The paper in the rack bore the headline, "JFK SHOT TO DEATH." My first thought was fear that we had lost our leader and that he would be replaced by LBJ, whom I already detested.

2  
Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 01:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
It was a terrible day, it changed everything.

RABEL222

4  
Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 02:00 pm
@glitterbag,
Got to give Trump credit. He doesn't order government employees to murder critics. He just encourages his trumps to do it for him. Denyability.

4  
Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 02:28 pm
The fiancée of murdered Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi says she has declined an invitation to the White House from US President Donald Trump, accusing him of not being sincere about investigating the killing.

Hatice Cengiz told Turkish TV she thought the invitation was aimed at influencing public opinion in the US.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-45989356

6  
Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2018 04:34 pm
Wow, these past two years have been stunningly different. Trump was disinvited to Barbara. Bush’s funeral and John McCain’s funeral. Now the fiancée refuses an invitation to the White House......Trump is terrible with condolence moments. I can’t blame her, Khashoggi was brutalized, what could Trump say that could possibly be of comfort. If he didn’t say something truly condolence worthy, it would just be another heart break for her. I think she’s been thru enough.

2  
Reply Sun 4 Nov, 2018 10:56 am
WWE stars John Cena and Daniel Bryan have pulled out of an event in Saudi Arabia which is happening on Friday.

They haven't said why, but some are suggesting it's because of the way the Middle Eastern country has handled the death of journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

He was a critic of the Saudi government who was killed after he went into the Saudi Consulate in Turkey.

John Cena and Daniel Bryan have been replaced in the WWE Crown Jewel, which is happening in the Saudi capital.

The two stars taking a stand against WWE is a big deal, says Kefin Mahon, who is the host of the How2Wrestling podcast.

"It's definitely not common... wrestlers no-showing is usually when they get fired," he tells Newsbeat.

"Wrestlers very much have to be very wary of what they say when it comes to big stances against WWE."

But Kefin says they're both pulling out because of reputational reasons - they might take a hit for performing in Saudi Arabia at the moment.

John Cena has a budding Hollywood career to think about - he's starred in the Amy Schumer film Trainwreck and will be seen in the upcoming Transformers spin-off.

Kefin adds that Daniel Bryan - one of wrestling's biggest names - "does keep his politics to himself," but is "a very ethical sort".

But neither have actually come out and said that they've pulled out because of the death of Jamal Khashoggi.

"They're going to lose out on money, definitely," says Kefin, but he says the two names are too big to get fired completely.

The first WWE event in Saudi Arabia was held in Jeddah in April this year (it featured John Cena and Daniel Bryan).

It was criticised for not allowing female wrestlers to perform.

Saudi Arabia's sport authority also apologised after the event because footage of female wrestlers was shown on big screens.

Kefin says the event "was negatively received by a lot of wrestling fans because it seemed to be a means to put a lot of pro-Saudi imagery and videos.

"You had commentators in the middle of wrestling matches talking about how progressive and beautiful the city was."

He adds: "The mere mention of the Crown Jewel [this Friday's event] makes most wrestling crowds erupt into boos now."

"In the world of wrestling, as WWE have put forward, nothing's wrong at all," says Kefin.

WWE have written both wrestlers out of their storylines in the past few days.

Bobby Lashley drafted in after he - according to WWE - "unleashed a vicious beatdown on Finn Bálor". He replaces John Cena, "the one Superstar who hadn't won a qualifying match."

Samoa Joe has replaced Daniel Bryan for Friday's performance.

WWE sent this statement to Newsbeat: "As always, we maintain an open line of communication with our performers and will address each situation accordingly."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-4604798