Can you clean dvds?

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 07:30 pm
One of ours has a weird cloudy ring on it and isn't playing correctly.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,998 • Replies: 8
No top replies

squinney

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 08:49 pm
Same as cleaning CD's as far as I know. Kids clean ours with luke warm water, soft cloth and go side to side, not around with the "grooves." No problem with that method so far.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 09:11 pm
Distilled water is best. Do not use cleaning solutions. Soft cloth working from the inside out. Do not follow the grooves around. Alcohol as last resort for stubborn stains...try the water first.
0 Replies

princesspupule

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 04:44 pm
I think I followed the grooves... oops... It works BETTER, but not perfectly yet... Going to try one more time, but maybe it's messed up. Was that mildew or what that caused th cloud? Do you know by any chance? Also, how to prevent others from getting like that? Thanks, if you have answers...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 05:17 pm
A cloudy film coulda been a number of things - general gunk and dust high on the list. Fingerprints, cigarette smoke, household aerosol, and cookin' grease residues are common culprits. When not in use, an optical disk should be stored in a protective sleeve or jewel case.

When cleanin', ya don't wanna wipe "with the grooves" as that is the orientation in which the data pits are laid down, and followin' the orientation can and will obscure the demarcations between data pits. Sometimes, damage incurred by improper cleanin' or even mishandlin' can be alleviated by polishin' the disk with commercially available compounds specifically made for the purpose - they're similar to ultra-fine jewelers' rouge.

While distilled water and finger-held soft, lintless cleanin' pads can be used to fair effect for cleanin', and repair compound and finger-held-buffin' pads can be used successfully, most folks likely will find any of the reputable major-brand mechanical cleanin' and/or repair devices and their associated fluids and pads to be not only more convenient, but more effective than hand-cleanin' or repairin'.

Fully manual ones run from around $10/$15 and up, with one workin' just about as well as any other if used accordin' to directions. For the really lazy, there are powered models, but IMO most are no more effective than the hand-cranked type, and they're a lot spendier.
0 Replies

electricelectric

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 01:58 am
take it out, and give it a good high-pressure water-blastin'!!!!
0 Replies

Can of Ham

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 05:15 pm
princesspupule wrote:
I think I followed the grooves... oopsquote]

Denatured alcohol. You can also get a kit at Best Buy, Walmart, etc..
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 05:24 pm
I use a premoistened lens cloth. I go from the inside of the DVD to the outside, like spokes. Seems to work ok. I have a subscription to Blockbuster Online, and some of the DVDs that they send looks like they have been through the wars.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 06:38 pm
Alcohol and petroleum-based solvents or cleaners will attack and destroy the protective laquer which shields the actual written data. You prolly don't wanna use either on any optical disc you plan on usin' much.
0 Replies