Revolution in Kyrgyzstan

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:21 pm
That blog IS very interesting.

This in from the Washington Post - and it looks at the Islamic traditions of the country:

"Protests Topple Kyrgyzstan's Government
Revolt Is Third in Former Soviet Republics in 16 Months

By Karl Vick and Peter Finn
Washington Post Foreign Service
Friday, March 25, 2005; Page A01

BISHKEK, Kyrgyzstan, March 25 -- Opposition demonstrators pushed past riot police and seized the presidential headquarters Thursday in this Central Asian country, toppling the government in the third successful popular revolt in a former Soviet republic in 16 months. President Askar Akayev dropped from sight, and Russian news agencies reported that he had flown to neighboring Kazakhstan.

In the capital, Bishkek, the supreme court quickly nullified the results of disputed elections that had sparked the uprising. Members of parliament appointed their speaker, Ishenbai Kadyrbekov, as acting president, news services reported.

Jubilant protesters took turns sitting at Akayev's vacant desk in the palace and freed opposition prisoners from jails, capping an operation that met little resistance from government security forces. Others turned to looting and vandalism. Thieves stole cars and pillaged a department store and jewelry shops in the capital Thursday night despite calls from opposition leaders for calm, according to the Reuters news agency.

By Friday morning the city was subdued but not tense. Pedestrians were somewhat fewer than usual because many shops were closed, residents said. Municipal crews cleaned the streets as parliament met. There appeared to be no police presence.

"It's good Akayev has left," said Mirwan Mahmutov, a taxi driver. "The people are the leader right now."

The speed with which the government crumbled seemed to leave many of its opponents dizzy. The opposition seized major cities in the south early in the week; their first demonstration in the capital, on Wednesday, was small and easily dispersed by riot police. But Thursday, they massed in larger numbers, marched on the presidential compound and burst inside after scuffling with Akayev supporters.

"This morning when we organized the protests, I could not even imagine where it would all lead," said Kurmanbek Bakiyev, an opposition leader, standing on an armored vehicle in front of the government building.

Fourteen years after the breakup of the Soviet Union, democratic institutions continue to struggle to take root in its former territory. Kyrgyzstan, a poor, mostly Muslim country of 5 million people north of Afghanistan, has known only one president, Akayev, a physicist and former Soviet legislator, since independence. Once viewed as the most tolerant leader in Soviet Central Asia, he had grown more authoritarian in recent years, with family members holding political office and amassing fortunes in business.

Kyrgyzstan's revolt followed street uprisings in two other former republics -- the Orange Revolution in Ukraine and the Rose Revolution in Georgia, which brought Western-oriented leaders to office. The Bush administration has welcomed the changes; Russia, which views countries on its border as a natural sphere of influence, has watched warily but allowed the new governments to assume power.

After the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks in the United States, Kyrgyzstan became an important staging area for U.S. forces supporting operations in Afghanistan. About 1,000 U.S. military personnel are stationed at an air base outside the capital; the country received $50.8 million in U.S. aid last year.

U.S. Ambassador Stephen M. Young is trying to bring together the different opposition groups and urging their supporters to avoid violence and stress dialogue, a senior State Department official said Thursday. "Given the unruliness of what has proceeded it, you've got to be concerned," the official said. ". . . This is terra incognita for everybody."

"We've been in contact with Russians and central Asians," the official said, "all to help reassure the Kyrgyz that there is an international mechanism to work their way through this and you don't have to resort to extreme measures.

"Now that Akayev is gone, the message is to deal with the situation through existing institutions and in a way that is transparent and inclusive -- bring all the factions together and come up with a way forward that everyone can agree on, instead of backroom deals that exclude people and impose a dictate."

In Washington on Thursday, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice noted that events were moving very fast and said that if "responsible parties can encourage the various parties in Kyrgyzstan to move into a process that will then lead to the election of a government and move this process of democracy forward, it will have been a very good thing."..........."

Article continues here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62138-2005Mar24.html?referrer=email
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 12:18 am
Agencies say this morning that Bishkek is quieter today, as police are patrolling the Kyrgyz capital in an attempt to stop a repeat of rioting the previous night.

And it is reported that Kyrgyzstan will keep US and Russian bases.

Origianally, I feared, we might get a revolution on the 1989 Romanian model - hopefully not.
Since the Kyrgyz opposition has no real leadership, this might happen, however.

And then it really would be interesting, how the USA and Russia react .... e.g. with forces from their bases.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 12:26 am
Aargh - I SO hope that the new leadership can move fast for a new election - I guess this is a chaotic, dangerous stage, though.

I guess it helps that they have had a stable government - only more recently moving towards autocracy and abuse of opposition leaders.

Seems like both Russia and America are acting calmly - and America seems to be quietly busy in supporting a non-violent transition.

I gather that north and south are somewhat divided, though.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 12:34 am
JustWonders wrote:
Dr. Ariel Cohen of The Heritage Foundation notes that, following the fall of the U.S.S.R, Kyrgyzstan unfortunately did not completely and successfully make its transition to a free and independent nation the same way many countries in Eastern Europe did:

Quote:
Kyrgyzstan today is a quintessence of everything that is wrong with post-communist Central Asian regimes. It did not have a "velvet revolution." Instead Mr. Akayev took over when the Soviet Union collapsed, but the elite remained Soviet in essence. Even the opposition leaders come from this elite, instead of being dissident figures like Lech Walesa and Vaclav Havel.

Dr. Cohen explains the regional politics at play:

Quote:
The leaders of neighboring Uzbekistan and Turkmenistan are nervously watching these developments. As in Kyrgyzstan, both countries’ ruling regimes are prone to cut down opposition, mostly secular, as quickly as it appears. But a greater menace may be lurking in the wings: Islamic radicals who are amassing power and, for now, have been holding back from the political square. By cutting the secular opposition out of the picture, the region’s leaders may be pursuing a counterproductive—and ultimately destructive—strategy.

Thus, Cohen notes, the lemon revolution may or may not end up as lemonade. There is good reason to be cautious in declaring victory for freedom, given the geopolitical stakes. But there is also significant reason for hope.

http://www.heritage.org//Press/Commentary/ed032305b.cfm

JW - I have been unable to find any other source which is suggesting that radical Islam is a force of concern in Kyrgyzstan - in fact, other sources seem to suggest that the opposite is true - indeed, the constitution supports clear separation of church and state. I have read that Islam is a fairly recent and not especially potent force in this country.

Have you any other sources suggesting otherwise? I am interested because this country appears to be flying in the face of concerns that have been present, for Russia at least, for a long time, and more lately for the west, of the "Istans" becoming affected by radical Islam.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 01:14 am
dlowan wrote:
Aargh - I SO hope that the new leadership can move fast for a new election - I guess this is a chaotic, dangerous stage, though.

I guess it helps that they have had a stable government - only more recently moving towards autocracy and abuse of opposition leaders.

Seems like both Russia and America are acting calmly - and America seems to be quietly busy in supporting a non-violent transition.

I gather that north and south are somewhat divided, though.

Translated from a recent report by Central Asia expert Alexander Rahr of the German Council on Foreign Relations:

Quote:
The country is divided by a high range of mountains. Because of this natural border, the two parts of the country developed completely different clan structures -- clans that are now confronting one another. The original opposition movement may well have originated with democratic forces who were only demanding that the presidential elections be annulled. But over time, the initially peaceful protests were infiltrated by violent forces opposed to democracy. The entire movement has developed a dangerous momentum of its own.

At work, I had a two (or three) co-workers from Kyrgyzstan. Since they came from different parts (although origianally Germans as well), they kind of "didn't like" each other.
(That may have been reasoned in their different religious etc background as well.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 01:30 am
How were they different religiously, Walter?

I note that there are a few christians there - and a jewish community.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 01:35 am
One was a Mennonite, the other a not practising Catholic. (I'm not sure about the country of the third, who was a Protestant as well.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 06:33 am
Setanta posted this on another thread - when this one was locked:

I have imported it back where it belongs:

Setanta wrote:
The thread from which i quote you has been locked, for dog knows what reason, but i wanted to tell you this:

Me wrote:
dlowan wrote:
The notion of moderate Islamic states there is fascinating - I was aware that fundamentalist Islam in Chechnya was apparently a response to Russian brutality there - not intrinsically Chechen.

When, in the early 18th century (1721?), Petr Alexeevitch conducted his last military campaign on the shores of the Caspian Sea, he sent a column to impress the Chechens and the Ingush with the military might of his new empire. They were not impressed. They slaughtered about 3,000 Russians. They had been primitive, blood-thirsty tribesmen when the Seljuk Turks had impressed them, in the tenth century. They became Muslim more or less in emulation of their erstwhile masters. When Tamara became the Queen of Georgia, they had been cozened into joining the forces of Georgian nobility who opposed her. She repressed those tribesmen brutally. They saw it more as a case of a demonstration of the inherent evil of Orthodox christians, than as a religious war. After the Mongols and their client army, the Tatars, swept through the region, and ended the Georgian kingdom, the Caucusus tribesmen remained aloof, and later allied themselves to the Tatars on more or less the same basis as they had with the Turks. When Peter the Great's troops showed up, it was, to them, just another case of Orthodoxy attempting to crush them--although, again, with the caveat that they did not necessarily see it as a religious war.

Peter's mad daughter, Elizabeth, sybarite and all around ill-tempered autocrat, married her son to Sophie of Anhalt-Dessau, partly at the instigation of Frederick the Great. Sophie eventually deep-sixed her husband, and using Ekaterin, the Orthodox name she had taken, she became the Empress Catherine II, Catherine the Great. As an old, old woman, she took her grandson, Nicholas, into her household to raise. She imbued him with her prejudice against the Russian nobility, although he did not understand that she despised them because she was German and they were not. He only imbibed the attitude of the autocrat. Raised to be profoundly orthodox, after the assassination of his father (a Russian diplomat once commented to the English minister at St. Petersburg: "Assassinations, that is our constitution."), he was chosen by the higest aristocratic families, as his elder brother was considered feeble-minded. Dissentient nobles attempted a coup using his brother, and failed, and deeply reinforced Nicholas' suspicion of them, and determination to rule in a completely autocratic manner. He published a slogan: "On Mother Russian, one Church, one Tsar." He meant it, too. As long as one was willing to surrender their native language for Russian, practice the Orthodox religion and swear (upon pain of instant death for betrayal) eternal fealty to the Tsar, they could be his buddy.

At the time of the Russo-Turkish war which became known as the Crimean war, ethnic groups in remote areas tried rebellion, but most caved in pretty quickly. The Chechens and Ingush, however, proceeded in the manner to which they had become accustomed, and slaughtered all the Orthodox people who could not escape. In 1855, at the height of the debacle at Sebastapol, Nicholas dispatched a large army to the Caucasus. For the next 23 years, the Russians hunted down all the tribesmen who would not accept Orthodox baptism (i.e., most of them), and slaughtered anyone in their path. It was a bloody campaign in which far more Russians lost their lives than in the late war.

There were petty uprisings thereafter, quickly crushed. In the First World War, the Chechens were brigaded together, and a Chechen division was used by Kolchak in his attempt to put the Petrograd revolutionaries out of business. Thereafter, the Chechens allied themselves with the White Russians, and enjoyed a tenuous autonomy for a generation. Then they were subjugated by the Red Army. In the Second World War, they allied themselves to the Germans, in yet another attempt to get out from under the Russian thumb, and to avenge themselves. In 1944, Stalin, as Nicholas had done before him, took significant military forces and diverted them from the main campaign, sending them into the mountains to crush the Chechens and Ingush. The Chechens who survived were rounded up and deported to central Asia, more than a thousand miles distant. They were not repatriated until a generation later, long after Stalin's death.

The bloodshed between Chechen and Russian has religion as a veneer, but the motivation is a deep tribal hatred and blood lust on both sides. An independent and viable Chechen state would be moderate Islam, because Islam has laid lightly on their culture, as was the case with the Balkan Muslims of Bosnia-Herzegovina. But the Russians will likely never allow it, and the slaughter will likely never end.

I was hoping Set would see this thread!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 07:51 am
reuters link

Quote:
MOSCOW (Reuters) - The Kyrgyz opposition, which seized power in a coup, will allow U.S. and Russian military bases to remain in the Central Asian state, the acting president was quoted as saying on Friday.

"Kyrgyzstan is not going to review its obligations concerning the military bases of anti-terrorist coalition on its territory," Itar-Tass news agency quoted Kurmanbek Bakiev as saying.

During the military operation in Afghanistan in 2001, Kyrgyzstan gave the United States part of a civilian airport Manas outside the capital Bishkek to set up an airbase, which is now home to 1,500 servicemen, and military aircraft.

In 2003 Russia was granted permission to set up its own airbase at Kant, 20 miles from Manas. About 500 Russian servicemen, and military aircraft, are stationed there.

The bases are a major source of income for the state coffers of the impoverished ex-Soviet republic. Some commentators say their leases give Kyrgyzstan up to 10 percent of its national budget.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 08:00 am
Aha - that makes a lot of sense.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 08:46 am
AlJazeera.net's view:

"Kyrgyz unrest triggers global concern

Friday 25 March 2005, 23:02 Makka Time, 20:02 GMT

Chaotic scenes followed the president's flight into exile

The unrest in Kyrgyzstan has aroused concerns around the world as it veers towards violence, with the European Union urging a quick return to law and order.

The Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe called for calm and dialogue after a night of looting followed the flight of President Askar Akayev on Thursday.

In Brussels, the EU's foreign policy chief, Javier Solana, "strongly appealed to the people of Kyrgyzstan to behave responsibly, to ease restoration of law and order throughout the country and to refrain from violence and looting".

The US said it had not yet made a decision whether to recognise the new interim leadership in Kyrgyzstan or Akayev, who vows to reclaim power, a State Department official said in Washington.

The official described the situation in the troubled Central Asian state as "fluid and unusual".

Moscow cautious

Russian President Vladimir Putin indicated that Moscow would be able to live with the new Kyrgyz leadership, even though it was regrettable that "in a post-Soviet country the conflict was resolved in an illegitimate way and was accompanied by pogroms and human victims".

Putin said Moscow would be able
to live with new Kyrgyz leaders

The three grass-roots revolutions in the former Soviet bloc - Georgia, Ukraine and Kyrgyzstan - follow a pattern with the toppling of autocratic pro-Moscow governments and the Western powers exerting pressure for democratic change.

But Georgian President Mikhail Saakashvili denied that there was any formal link among the uprisings. "We are not exporting revolution," Saakashvili said in a visit to Kiev.

"Our revolutions are similar, not because someone fabricated them somewhere but because people react similarly to injustice in all countries," he said.

Not the last

At the same time, Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Mykola Tomenko said he was sure the Kyrgyz uprising would not be the last in the bloc of former Soviet republics known as the Confederation of Independent States.

"Our revolution won't be the last," he said. "It is difficult to predict which country will be next, but I may say it is certain there will be a next one" after Kyrgyzstan.

"We support the improvement of democracy and freedoms in Kyrgyzstan"

Turkish message to Kyrgyzstan

Belarus denounced the events in Kyrgyzstan.

The foreign minister said the uprising was "liable to bring pernicious consequences for peace, stability and standards of living for the population in the country and in the whole of Central Asia".

Turkey, which cultivates close relations with the Turkic-language Central Asian countries, sent a delegation to Kyrgyzstan with the message that "we support the improvement of democracy and freedoms in Kyrgyzstan".

But "people should respect the constitutional order and stay on lawful ground so that stability and peace can be restored," a senior diplomat said in Ankara."

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/F1CFE13F-F8A0-43D6-9374-083BE54CBA68.htm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 08:48 am
I'm still having trouble getting my head around a country that gets 1/10th of its income from army bases with a total of 2000 foreign troops. That's, economically, a small town here.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 08:49 am
Yep - they aren't dripping with wealth.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 01:55 am
Quote:
Revolution that came too soon starts to fall apart in chaotic Kyrgyzstan

Mary Dejevsky reports from the capital on violent ethnic rivalry and a growing sense that no one is in control

27 March 2005

The success of Central Asia's first post-Soviet revolution was starting to look distinctly shaky last night, as Kyrgyzstan's self-appointed coalition struggled to form an interim government and assert the power it had won so precipitately earlier in the week. Reports from the capital, Bishkek, said that bands of youths, some armed, roamed the streets and sporadic looting continued. Local observers spoke of a growing sense that no one was in charge.

The ousted Kyrgyz president, Askar Akayev, meanwhile, was reported to be in Moscow, having flown there from his first point of refuge in neighbouring Kazakhstan. A defiant statement issued in his name and distributed by email yesterday said that he left the country "for humane reasons, so as to avoid bloodshed and prevent casualties". But his tone soon turned threatening. He remained president, he said, and "any attempt to deprive me of my presidential powers by unconstitutional means will be a state crime". He had been overthrown by "adventurers and conspirators".

While Mr Akayev's sudden re-emergence yesterday - and so far it remains "virtual" rather than physical - served to remind many about why he had been overthrown, it may also have sowed doubt in some quarters about the legitimacy, and the permanence, of the regime that has replaced him.

Under Kyrgyzstan's constitution - passed in 1993 after the republic had independence thrust upon it by the collapse of the Soviet Union - an absent or incapacitated President is replaced by the Prime Minister. In this case, however, the Prime Minister resigned shortly after Mr Akayev fled the country. Other senior ministers had just been dismissed by the President as punishment for the unrest that followed the parliamentary elections, as had the chief of police.

The temporary solution was an emergency meeting of the outgoing parliament late last Thursday, which appointed one of its members to be the new speaker - Ishenbay Kadyrbekov, a leading opposition figure who was a former minister for construction. Another opposition leader, Kurmanbek Bakiyev, was named as acting prime minister and entrusted with forming an interim cabinet. He was quickly declared acting president as well.

Such sweeping changes, however, appear already to be running into trouble. Their legitimacy would seem to be questionable, at the very least, and is already inspiring opposition. The prospect of waiting until June for new elections, whether for a new president or a new parliament, will require a measure of patience that Kyrgyz voters - who forced their President out of office within a matter of days - may be disinclined to show. Those aspiring to power may well want to entrench themselves in office rather sooner.

Among the more ominous signs from Bishkek yesterday were reports of ad hoc militias being set up by individual ethnic groups, including Russians, intent on defending the lives and property of their own communities. Ethnic tension has long been high in the south of the country, where it borders on Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, and it was violence in Osh in the south, Kyrgyzstan's second city, immediately after the second round of the parliamentary elections which arguably helped to fuel the unrest further north.

And, warning of a risk of civil war, the ousted interior minister said yesterday he was leading thousands of demonstrators towards the capital to protest against "the coup" that overthrew Mr Akayev. The new leadership said the action had fizzled out but later switched the venue of a news conference on word of a possible plot to kill the acting president, Mr Bakiyev.

The biggest difficulty for an interim administration, however, is that there is no central figure around whom the political opposition can rally. Although the precedents of Georgia and Ukraine have been repeatedly cited as models for the Kyrgyz "revolution", both these countries had strong opposition figures who commanded loyalty and provided a focus for political protest. And when they called on their supporters to show discipline, they were listened to. There is no such figure in Kyrgyzstan. Arguably, the revolution came too soon. The main figures named to the interim administration represent quite different groups and interests. They already appear to be jockeying among themselves for the presidency. This does not bode well for a united interim government - let alone one that will last until late June. There is not even consensus on how to describe the "revolution" - "tulip" or "daffodil".

The ignominious flight of the president as protesting crowds invaded the presidential compound and government buildings in Bishkek would not have been how Askar Akayev would have wanted to be remembered in Kyrgyzstan. When he came to power in 1990, it was as a mild-mannered nuclear physicist, with a doctorate from Leningrad (now St Petersburg) University, who was chosen from the ranks of the Communist Party in the wake of serious ethnic violence in the southern border areas of the republic. He was chosen precisely because he did not have the profile of a party hack, but that of a liberal and progressive politician rather in the mould of Mikhail Gorbachev, who would be able to keep the country together through turbulent times. This profile endeared him to the West, as did his decision a few months before the break-up of the Soviet Union to abandon Mr Gorbachev and throw in his lot with the Russian leader, Boris Yeltsin.

When I interviewed him in September 1991, he was eloquent in his hopes for his homeland - and confident that he could preside over the modernisation of Kyrgyzstan as a state and an economy. Even then, however, the contrast between his own education and outlook and that of the majority of his fellow-countrymen was sharp. I was sped in a convoy of government limousines for four hours from Bishkek to the presidential summer compound on the shore of the spectacular and legendary inland lake, Issyk-kul. The whole road had been cleared of traffic; only a few herdsmen on horseback were to be seen along the whole route. There was dinner, Russian-style, with the Akayev family and aides - and eventually the following day, postponed from one hour to the next, rather in the way of early oriental potentates, a formal interview.

In many ways, he also seemed personally caught between traditions. Thoroughly at home in a Russian milieu, he felt the weight of his responsibility as an educated Kyrgyz. Increasingly, he came to see himself as indispensable to his country's future. From 1996 he presided over constitutional changes that allowed him to remain in power. His now grown-up children were widely perceived to have benefited inordinately from patronage. The economic promises he had repeatedly made were felt to be empty.

More and more aware of how the rest of the world - and their Central Asian neighbours lived - and protested - increasing numbers of Kyrgyz seethed with resentment.

The test of the "tulip" - or is it the "daffodil"? - revolution will be whether Kyrgyz voters are content with the change they have forced. Or will they, in a few months' time, be wishing they had their old president back?
Source
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 02:23 am
I just did a Google news search - and such differing views. Here is the Beebs:

Kyrgyzstan's friendly revolution
By Ian MacWilliam
BBC News, Kyrgyzstan

The pictures on the television seems to say it all - statues of Lenin, police with helmets and riot shields, angry protesters storming the president's offices after a disputed election tainted by alleged government vote-rigging.

The Kyrgyz have taken on a mostly laid-back attitude to the protests

The confrontation had all the elements of a people's power uprising in an authoritarian post-communist state. But Kyrgyzstan is not quite what one expects.

A police spokesman told me politely that the protesters had every right to express their views. I could not help feeling that he was on their side really, along with most of the helmeted police men too.

Late last week, when the protest suddenly grew to a crowd of thousands who then decided to occupy the government's office, the policemen simply stood aside and let them in.

Elsewhere, road-blocking protests became a feature of this opposition movement. Several thousand people would block the road one day, but then they would melt away again the next.

I went to one big protest where people had blocked the main highway to China. I arrived late in the evening as the setting sun lit up a distant backdrop of the snow mountains.

Three of the round felt nomads tents, known as yurts, were set up on the road and speakers addressed the crowd of demonstrators through a megaphone.

The horses of rural protesters were tethered to the roadside poplar trees.

"We'll close the road until our demands are met", one of the organisers told me firmly, a gold tooth glinting in the sun.

Ten minutes later, there was a flurry of activity. The yurts were pulled down, the roadway was cleared and the backlog of lorries and other vehicles thundered on their way in a cloud of dust.

"Oh", said the organiser, "the drivers were complaining about us holding up their business so we've decide to picket the [government's offices] instead".

'Clean life'

In the southern town of Jalal-Abad, where the first local opposition council was chosen by a group of several thousand protesters, relations with security forces were also far from unfriendly.

It is the anger caused by pervasive corruption and the slow pace of economic change which have fuelled this movement against the president

A couple of hundred demonstrators had occupied the governor's office for more than a week, but they chatted quite happily to militiamen who were also in the grounds keeping an eye on them.

One middle-aged woman told me what in essence what the whole protest was about.

"I'm a teacher, but I haven't worked for close to 10 years. The government pays teachers next to nothing, only the rich live well here in Kyrgyzstan," she said.

"Once, when we lived as nomads in the mountains, our life was clean, we lived in our yurts and kept our horses and sheep, and there was no corruption then. We want to have a clean life again."

As I walked out of the governor's office, six yurts were set up in the square which were to serve as the rebel council's office.

Looking up to the green hillside beyond the town, where the first trees were just breaking into blossom, I noticed the silhouette of six horsemen.

I was told they were keeping watch, making sure the militia did not come to break up the protest.

Nomadic spirit

Horses and yurts are everywhere in Kyrgyzstan. The nomadic tradition lives on strongly here.

In the villages, children ride home from school on horseback with satchels slung over their shoulders.

In the spring, one can stop at a yurt in any number of green valleys to drink kumis - mildly alcoholic fermented mares' milk - which is said to cure any amount of ailments and perks up one's sex life too.

It is the nomadic sprit perhaps which sets Kyrgyzstan apart from its more authoritarian neighbours.

When you live in a tent in your own mountain valley and can up sticks at will, you develop a sense of personal freedom that even 70 years of communism cannot eradicate.

Despite the impression given by this election crisis, Kyrgyzstan is far from being a repressive Stalinist state.

The country's main problems are really economic more than political - it is the anger caused by pervasive corruption and the slow pace of economic change which have fuelled this movement against the president.

Askar Akayev began his career as a popular liberal reformer, but that was in the early 1990s.

Sitting in a cafe in Jalal-Abad, I asked a local journalist what he thought of the departed president: "Look, he said, we know Askar Akayev is a nice man, but he was in power for 15 years, it was time for him to go."

Startribune:

After swift takeover in Kyrgyzstan, concerns emerge about future under new leaders
Bagila Bukharbayeva, Associated Press
March 26, 2005 KYRG0327

BISHKEK, Kyrgyzstan — Opposition activist Iskander Sharshiyev waited years for the ouster of President Askar Akayev. Now it's happened, and he's still worried.

In the two days after the dramatic collapse of the Akayev government, Kyrgyzstan's new leaders have done little to outline their vision for the future and have sometimes wielded their new powers like a blunt instrument, raising concerns of renewed tensions that could plunge the shaken Central Asian country into still deeper turmoil.

Sharshiyev, leader of the Youth Movement of Kyrgyzstan, took an active role in opposition demonstrations that grew in size before storming the Kyrgyz presidential and government headquarters, known as the White House, ending Akayev's 15-year rule on Thursday.

In a swift turnabout, he and his activists spent the next two nights helping police as they sought to restrain looters who raged through the capital.

"The whole scenario was worked out only to the seizure of the White House; they did not know what to do next, that's why this plundering happened,'' Sharshiyev said.

A university graduate with a political science degree, Sharshiyev, 21, created his movement in 2002 to promote democratic change. The group, which had been working underground across the country, now has 1,500 members in Bishkek and 22,000 in other parts of the country, he said.

A year ago, the underground group cloned itself, forming the aboveground Youth Club, he says, to distract authorities from their secret work. The new organization got official registration and worked with authorities, even supporting some pro-government candidates, including Akayev's daughter, Bermet, in the recent parliamentary elections.

"We needed to know what the government was up to, and we needed to distract its attention from the Youth Movement, and we managed this,'' Sharshiyev said. "The security service was not aware of us.''

But with the euphoria of the government collapse fading, Sharshiyev and three of his activists looked despondent as they sat on a bench in central Bishkek on Saturday, tired after a night spent fighting pillagers, worried about the future — which has become the present — that they helped instigate.

"When Ukrainians ousted their old government, they had a strategy, a political platform, whereas our opposition only wanted to topple Akayev — beyond that, it's total darkness,'' said Nurbek Ishekeyev, one of the movement's coordinators, in a reference to the mass protests last fall that helped bring opposition leader Viktor Yushchenko to power in Ukraine.

Ishekeyev accused Kyrgyzstan's interim authorities for spending more time "dividing (Cabinet) portfolios than working to restore order.''

The Youth Movement leaders voice concerns about a lack of unity among the country's new leadership and expressed a lack of trust in those taking power, including acting president, Kurmanbek Bakiyev.

"We don't know Bakiyev personally. All we know is that the Aksu events happened under him,'' said Sharshiyev, recalling the killing of six peaceful demonstrators by police in 2002, when Bakiyev was prime minister.

Echoing the young activists' concerns, the leader of a non-governmental organization, asking not to be named for fear of ruining relations with the new leadership, said Saturday that members of the new political structure were unwilling in the past to work with civic groups that sought to promote democracy, civil society and media rights. When offered help, she said, they were only interested in money and manpower for protests.

She said she was shocked to see how the new leaders were imposing their rule in the provinces, summarily dismissing officials from the previous government.

A witness to the government ouster in the southern Jalal-Abad and Osh regions — where the authorities fell first — said the new rulers immediately imposed new taxes on businesses.

The witness, who also asked not to be named for fear of retribution, said no one in the interim government had expressed concerns about democracy or human rights. She said the newly appointed head of the Osh region told her his administration's attitude toward press freedom would depend on its treatment by the media.

Sharshiyev said he worried that the southern origins of Bakiyev and most of the acting ministers he has appointed could fuel deep regional and clan rivalries against the northerners, who dominated Akayev's government.

Taipei Times: (Seem to have a reporter there:)

Kyrgyzstan police battle pillagers as chaos grows
EYEWITNESS: One reporter witnessed first-hand the chaos that gripped the capital, as the new government tried to restore order since the old one was ousted

AP , Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
Sunday, Mar 27, 2005,Page 6

Elderly opposition supporters wearing traditional Kyrgyz hats attend a rally to mark the stunningly swift change of power yesterday.
PHOTO: AP

Gunfire, wailing sirens, dark deserted streets and groups of young men with armbands helping police confront looters: so began the Kyrgyz capital's second night after the country's sudden shift of power.

Hundreds of pillagers wandered the rain-slick streets in mobs, throwing stones at cars and seemingly seeking a repeat of the previous night, when the city was theirs.

But this night, police were back on duty -- cruising the streets in marked cars and barking shouts for order through megaphones. Groups of stick-wielding young men hovered outside shops and offices -- this time to guard them.

Police appeared to be trying to determine the location of groups of looters, then rush to the area in several cars and go after them in vehicles and on foot, firing into the air.

One such operation played out beneath our second-floor office windows for some 10 minutes, the quiet street breaking out into shouts and shots that filled the air with the smell of gunpowder.

The only major department store that survived Thursday night's plundering, TsUM, was guarded by about 100 volunteers. Standing in the rain, they said they would defend the store all night long.

One of the volunteers tore a piece of yellow cloth in two, using one strip as an armband and another to wrap it around an iron bar gripped in his hand.

I asked him if he would really hit anyone with it. He smiled broadly and said: "Yes."

Earlier in the day, hundreds of poor treasure-hunters wandered up and down the five floors of a shopping mall that stood bare, its windows smashed and their frames charred.

All the goods in this Turkish-owned Beta Stores mall were swept away in a rampage the previous night, but people sifting through the remaining trash still found things to take away: metal scrap, empty boxes, broken mannequins.

Almazbek Abdykadyrov was mounting several wooden boards on his bicycle.

"I want to build a house; I don't have any material myself. Others are taking, so I'm taking, too," he said.

Two teenagers carried a sink, saying it was "a present from Beta Stores."

The area was littered with pieces of cardboard boxes and cloth, empty bottles.

Shops that escaped damaged Thursday night were closed, or their owners hung signs reading "we are with the people" in hopes of warding off attacks.

Bishkek residents were frightened and shocked.

An elderly woman told me she was shaking as she watched the looting overnight and cars passing by her windows until 3 am stuffed with carpets and other goods, some even hauling refrigerators and other large appliances or pieces of furniture on the roof.

"I've never seen anything as horrible as this in my entire life. Nobody was stopping them," she said, overwhelmed.

Meanwhile, Felix Kulov, an opposition leader and former interior minister, released from jail immediately after the fall of President Askar Akayev, was trying to restore order, holding meetings with police and security officials and trying to convince them to return to work.

Put in charge of law enforcement by the new government, Kulov pledged to "give a big battle to the pillagers."

Some police were back on the streets Friday -- but without their uniforms. They still appeared shocked by the storming of the government building the previous day.

About a dozen of them were guarding TsUM, the department store.

One of them, a senior police lieutenant who would not give his name, said police were ready to resume service.

But when asked if they would work under Kulov, he said: "We could, but how legitimate is he at the moment?"

Washington Post:

Revolution, in a Couple of Hours
In Kyrgyzstan, Plans for Patient Organizing Dissolved as Protesters Unexpectedly Took Control

By Karl Vick
Washington Post Foreign Service
Sunday, March 27, 2005; Page A15

BISHKEK, Kyrgyzstan, March 26 -- The plan called for yurts, and patience.

A small army of protesters weary of the stiffening, unresponsive rule of President Askar Akayev was to assemble on a great plaza outside the presidential headquarters in the capital. The plan, according to organizers of the demonstration, was for participants to listen to speeches, chant slogans and, as the sun set, begin a vigil, reclaiming their country by sleeping in yurts, the domed, supremely portable tents made of skins and sticks popular in Central Asia.

The camp-out would put a Kyrgyz stamp on a rebellion that opposition leaders said was inspired in part by recent uprisings in Georgia and Ukraine, two other former Soviet republics where the populace had grown unhappy with the autocrats in power. In both countries, mass demonstrations sparked by disputed elections went on for weeks, wearing down the incumbent while opponents honed plans for an orderly transfer of power.

But nothing went quite as planned in Bishkek on Thursday.

When the first few thousand protesters arrived at the plaza, the president sent thugs to break up the demonstration. Incensed, a few dozen young protesters returned and simply broke past police guarding the presidential headquarters, known as the White House. To the cheers of thousands assembled below, the youths broke a window and chucked out a portrait of Akayev, who, after nearly 15 years in power, disappeared from the scene.

It all took a couple of hours.

"Nice words, 'coup d'etat,' 'revolution,' '' said Kurmanbek Bakiyev, an opposition figure who was installed as acting president that night. "But what happened on the 24th of March was not planned by anyone beforehand, neither by people who came to the rally nor by others.

"Nobody expected and nobody prepared for this event."

That much was clear almost immediately. As soon as darkness fell Thursday, hundreds of young men turned to looting, unleashing a spasm of destruction that emptied or burned more than 100 stores in a capital abruptly devoid of uniformed police.

The next morning, the hallways of parliament filled with the sound of workers hammering shut the front doors. Inside, two legislatures were meeting: One was elected five years ago. The other was seated this month, after disputed elections that set in motion the wave of outrage.

The rebellion sprang up almost simultaneously in several remote places, and came together in cities in the notably poorer south. When it crested in the mountains that bisect Kyrgyzstan, what shattered was the brittle government of a man whose son drove a Hummer in a country with a per capita income of about $300.

"It was a natural outcome," said Emil Aliev, a senior official in an opposition party called Dignity. "The main forces were a very severe social and economic situation, in the background of wide-scale corruption."

Akayev came to power as a reformer. Trained as a physicist, he had led the country since 1990. Kyrgyzstan became independent when the Soviet Union broke up in 1991, but ties with Russia remain strong. The United States has heaped aid and praise on the little country, which, under Akayev, tolerated a free press and encouraged the proliferation of nonprofit civic groups, regarded as the cornerstone of a democratic society. Under Akayev, Kyrgyzstan also broke out of a state-controlled economy, welcoming foreign investment in a country of 5 million blessed with staggering beauty but few of the mineral resources of its neighbors.

"He did a lot for Kyrgyzstan," Bakiyev, the acting president, said of Akayev..............

Full Washington Post article here

Haaretz.com:

Kyrgyzstan's new leadership announces elections in June

By DPA

MOSCOW/BISHKEK - With an uneasy calm maintained in the Kyrgyzstan capital Bishkek, it was announced yesterday that an early presidential election would be held June 26.

The announcement by the upper house of the old parliament - amid conflicting reports of its legitimacy - appeared to be confirmed by acting president and government head Kurmanbek Bakiyev.

Meanwhile one person was reported killed and 20 injured in fresh overnight violence, which Bakiyev said had been provoked by small individual groups.

As he appealed for calm, police said a group of between 2,000 and 3,000 supporters of the deposed state leadership was heading toward Bishkek - but these were reportedly intending peaceful protests.

Former opposition leader Bakiyev, who took over after the flight from the country by long-time president Askar Akayev, was meanwhile called upon to face questioning by several hundred demonstrators.

This came as the legitimacy of the old bicameral parliament and the new single-chamber body was contested by respective opponents following February's general election, widely seen as flawed.

The commission that oversaw the election yesterday declared the new parliament as legitimate - but deputies from the old parliament insisted they would stay in office until the 26 June presidential election.

An uneasy calm was reported on the streets of the capital Bishkek after a second night of unrest that followed Thursday's tumultuous overthrow of Akayev.

Gangs of young men had late Friday taken to the streets in defiance of an attempt by new Kyrgyz authorities to impose a 6 A.M. to 6 P.M. curfew.

Skeleton police services supported by National Guard troops and "approved details" of civilian militia had endeavored to maintain order and avoid a recurrence of Thursday night's violence in which up to 15 people were reported killed and more than 300 injured.

Attempts had been made late Friday to enter banks, businesses and public buildings, with groups of would-be looters dispersed by warning shots from security forces.

Kyrgyzstan's Constitutional Court meanwhile formally stripped Akayev of his presidential powers following his flight abroad, it was reported yesterday in Russia.

Kommersant newspaper quoted court chairwoman Cholpon Bayekova as saying the erstwhile president had "left the country in a shameful way. I see no basis for his retaining his competences." She added that Akayev himself had renounced his presidential powers.

Interfax news agency meanwhile reported that Akayev had gone on from Kazakhstan, his original destination on fleeing the country Thursday, to Moscow. There was no official confirmation of this.

An interim government, hastily formed Friday under Bakiyev, has pledged that its first task will be to restore order and stability to the country.

Bakiyev is a former cabinet chief who co-led mass protests after allegedly rigged parliamentary polls in late February and mid-March, culminating in Thursday's storming of government buildings and the overthrow of the government.

Akayev, who on Friday denounced the seizure of power as an "anti-constitutional coup d'etat," had ruled Kyrgyzstan since 1990.

Consensus seems to : "What the f@@k happened!!!!"

Wish them well

http://www.haaretz.com/hasite/images/iht_printed/P270305/tn.2703.15.1.jpg
A Kyrgyz boy searching through the rubble left by looters in a shopping mall in Bishkek yesterday.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 02:49 am
Thanks for them Dlowan.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 12:53 pm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-4895360,00.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Parliaments Vie for Power in Kyrgyzstan

Sunday March 27, 2005 6:31 PM

AP Photo MOSB113

By KADYR TOKTOGULOV

Associated Press Writer

BISHKEK, Kyrgyzstan (AP) - Two rival parliaments vied for power in Kyrgyzstan on Sunday, and the head of Europe's leading security organization tried to resolve the turmoil in the Central Asia country three days after its longtime leader fled to Russia in the face of massive protests.

Kyrgyzstan has both Russian and U.S. bases on its soil and - like neighboring Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan - had been ruled by authoritarian chiefs until President Askar Akayev left Thursday after 15 years in power.

Akayev's departure made Kyrgyzstan the third former Soviet republic in the past 18 months - after Georgia and Ukraine - to see long-entrenched governments accused of corruption fall. But it was the first time a regime had been toppled in largely Muslim Central Asia, a region rich in oil and gas deposits.

The country's two parliaments - the new one elected in the disputed February and March votes and the one that lost the election - met in separate chambers over the weekend, each claiming to represent the 5 million people in this U.S. ally in the war on terrorism.

On the streets, police and civilian volunteers appeared to have put an end to the looting that raged through Bishkek after demonstrators stormed the presidential headquarters Thursday.

During weekend confrontations, police arrested 129 people, and reports said between one and three people described as ``pillagers'' were killed.

After Akayev fled, the former parliament reclaimed its mandate and quickly named a new interim leader - former opposition party leader Kurmanbek Bakiyev.

But Bakiyev's prosecutor-general, Azim Beknazarov, said the new parliament, dominated by Akayev's allies, would have to be officially recognized.

The secretary-general of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, Jan Kubis, arrived in Bishkek on Sunday to try to help resolve the crisis. Kyrgyzstan is a member of the OSCE.

OSCE envoy Alojz Peterle said the organization was sending three independent constitutional and legal experts.

``We think the need for them is urgent,'' he said.

The organization had sent international observers to monitor the disputed elections, and its criticism of the vote helped fuel the then-opposition's complaints.

On the streets of the capital, the mass disorder that followed Akayev's ouster appeared to have subsided, with police and volunteers wearing red armbands keeping order. The looting left Bishkek's main street a line of boarded up and shuttered stores.

There was no sign that Akayev had resigned, and about 700 of his supporters met Sunday in his hometown of Kemin, about 50 miles east of Bishkek, and said they did not recognize Bakiyev as leader.

The 60-year-old Akayev had led Kyrgyzstan since 1990, before it gained independence in the Soviet collapse. He was long considered the most democratic leader among the five ex-Soviet Central Asian nations, but he was accused of increasingly cracking down on dissent in recent years.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 04:11 pm
Ach - hope they can help...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 04:18 pm
I'm glad anyone's willing to be involved. Seems to be getting messier as I watch the Reuters and BBC sites.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 04:27 pm
Round up of world reaction from the Moscow Times

Christian Science Monitor - always interesting

Guardian Unlimited

International Herald Tribune:
Kyrgyzstan slides into confusion

By Craig S. Smith The New York Times

Monday, March 28, 2005

Legitimacy disputed of new Parliament in face of recent vote

BISHKEK, Kyrgyzstan: A post-putsch parliamentary crisis in this mountainous Central Asian nation appeared to deepen Sunday as confusion continued to cloud the new government that seized power Thursday after President Askar Akayev fled to Russia in the face of massive protests.

Key members of the new government said they were backing the legitimacy of the Parliament chosen in recent elections even though protests against flaws in those elections had brought the new government to power.

"The new Parliament is legitimate and the old Parliament's term has expired," announced Felix Kulov, who has been put in charge of Kyrgyzstan's security forces, following two days of tense debate in the country's Parliament building.

Kulov threatened to arrest any of the members of the old Parliament who organize protests against the new Parliament, according to the Kyrgyzstan News Agency.

The agency reported that the newly appointed chairman of the country's Central Election Commission also said the new Parliament would be recognized and that contested seats in regions where there were documented election irregularities would be settled in the courts or through fresh elections.

But it was not clear whether Kulov and the commission chairman were speaking alone or with the authority of the new government. Members of the previously sitting Parliament and of the newly elected Parliament each claim legitimacy and met throughout the weekend on separate floors of the building.

Following Kulov's statement, members of the old Parliament left to meet with the newly appointed prime minister, Kurmanbek Bakiyev. Bakiyev was appointed by the old Parliament on Thursday after Akayev fled.

Members of the new Parliament, meanwhile, remained defiant. "There is no legitimate president, there is no legitimate government, there is only a legitimate Parliament and that's the new Parliament," said Isa Omurkulov, who was elected to a seat in the body in the recent elections.

OSCE is to send mediators

The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe will send constitutional and legal experts to Kyrgyzstan amid a struggle for legitimacy between the rival Parliaments, an OSCE envoy told The Associated Press in Bishkek.

Alojz Peterle said the organization, of which Kyrgyzstan is a member, plans to send three independent experts "because we think that the need for them is urgent." He called the parliamentary conflict "a very, very sensitive issue."

Peterle said at a news conference that it was not up to the OSCE to judge which of the Parliaments is legitimate, but that it planned to "provide assistance in order to get good decisions in that respect" and would send three constitutional and legal experts.

He said that at least two of them were expected to arrive in two to three days and that, in a meeting with the acting prime minister and acting president, Kurmanbek Bakiyev, it was agreed that "our expertise on constitutional and legal issues is desired."

Peterle came to Kyrgyzstan last week to lead international efforts to help resolve a growing confrontation between Akayev's government and opposition protesters.

Peterle said the conflict between the country's previous Parliament and the one elected in widely criticized voting in February and March that fueled the opposition push for Akayev's ouster was "definitely a sensitive political issue" and that OSCE mediation was possible.

"Maybe the need will occur to mediate this problem now," he said.

Peterle said at the news conference that Bakiyev had welcomed OSCE involvement in the country's next elections. The OSCE monitored the recent elections and said they were flawed, in particular through interference with the news media.

Peterle said he and Bakiyev did not discuss the timing of elections, even though Parliament on Friday set presidential elections for June 26. The OSCE ambassador, Markus Mueller, however, suggested it would be difficult to organize elections by then if instability persists. "For the organization of presidential elections, or any elections, you need a certain level of stability," he said.

Peterle and Muller spoke at a news conference with Secretary General Jan Kubis of the OSCE, who arrived Sunday in an attempt to help resolve the crisis. Kubis said he would be holding consultations over the next few days.

See more of the world that matters - click here for home delivery of the International Herald Tribune.

< < Back to Start of Article

BISHKEK, Kyrgyzstan: A post-putsch parliamentary crisis in this mountainous Central Asian nation appeared to deepen Sunday as confusion continued to cloud the new government that seized power Thursday after President Askar Akayev fled to Russia in the face of massive protests.

Key members of the new government said they were backing the legitimacy of the Parliament chosen in recent elections even though protests against flaws in those elections had brought the new government to power.

"The new Parliament is legitimate and the old Parliament's term has expired," announced Felix Kulov, who has been put in charge of Kyrgyzstan's security forces, following two days of tense debate in the country's Parliament building.

Kulov threatened to arrest any of the members of the old Parliament who organize protests against the new Parliament, according to the Kyrgyzstan News Agency.

The agency reported that the newly appointed chairman of the country's Central Election Commission also said the new Parliament would be recognized and that contested seats in regions where there were documented election irregularities would be settled in the courts or through fresh elections.

But it was not clear whether Kulov and the commission chairman were speaking alone or with the authority of the new government. Members of the previously sitting Parliament and of the newly elected Parliament each claim legitimacy and met throughout the weekend on separate floors of the building.

Following Kulov's statement, members of the old Parliament left to meet with the newly appointed prime minister, Kurmanbek Bakiyev. Bakiyev was appointed by the old Parliament on Thursday after Akayev fled.

Members of the new Parliament, meanwhile, remained defiant. "There is no legitimate president, there is no legitimate government, there is only a legitimate Parliament and that's the new Parliament," said Isa Omurkulov, who was elected to a seat in the body in the recent elections.

OSCE is to send mediators

The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe will send constitutional and legal experts to Kyrgyzstan amid a struggle for legitimacy between the rival Parliaments, an OSCE envoy told The Associated Press in Bishkek.

Alojz Peterle said the organization, of which Kyrgyzstan is a member, plans to send three independent experts "because we think that the need for them is urgent." He called the parliamentary conflict "a very, very sensitive issue."

Peterle said at a news conference that it was not up to the OSCE to judge which of the Parliaments is legitimate, but that it planned to "provide assistance in order to get good decisions in that respect" and would send three constitutional and legal experts.

He said that at least two of them were expected to arrive in two to three days and that, in a meeting with the acting prime minister and acting president, Kurmanbek Bakiyev, it was agreed that "our expertise on constitutional and legal issues is desired."

Peterle came to Kyrgyzstan last week to lead international efforts to help resolve a growing confrontation between Akayev's government and opposition protesters.

Peterle said the conflict between the country's previous Parliament and the one elected in widely criticized voting in February and March that fueled the opposition push for Akayev's ouster was "definitely a sensitive political issue" and that OSCE mediation was possible.

"Maybe the need will occur to mediate this problem now," he said.

Peterle said at the news conference that Bakiyev had welcomed OSCE involvement in the country's next elections. The OSCE monitored the recent elections and said they were flawed, in particular through interference with the news media.

Peterle said he and Bakiyev did not discuss the timing of elections, even though Parliament on Friday set presidential elections for June 26. The OSCE ambassador, Markus Mueller, however, suggested it would be difficult to organize elections by then if instability persists. "For the organization of presidential elections, or any elections, you need a certain level of stability," he said.

Peterle and Muller spoke at a news conference with Secretary General Jan Kubis of the OSCE, who arrived Sunday in an attempt to help resolve the crisis. Kubis said he would be holding consultations over the next few days.

See more of the world that matters - click here for home delivery of the International Herald Tribune.

< < Back to Start of Article

Following Kulov's statement, members of.........

Story continues here
0 Replies