Peter Drucker on The New World Economy

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 05:50 pm
I'm never quite sure where this sort of article belongs.
It's about economics, the world, how those spheres are changing.

Peter Drucker's often got interesting things to say.

Quote:
Trading Places
by Peter F. Drucker

The New world economy is fundamentally different from that of the fifty years following World War II. The United States may well remain the political and military leader for decades to come. It is likely also to remain the world's richest and most productive national economy for a long time (though the European Union as a whole is both larger and more productive). But the U.S. economy is no longer the single dominant economy.

The emerging world economy is a pluralist one, with a substantial number of economic "blocs." Eventually there may be six or seven blocs, of which the U.S.-dominated NAFTA is likely to be only one, coexisting and competing with the European Union (EU), MERCOSUR in Latin America, ASEAN in the Far East, and nation-states that are blocs by themselves, China and India. These blocs are neither "free trade" nor "protectionist", but both at the same time.

Even more novel is that what is emerging is not one but four world economies: a world economy of information; of money; of multinationals (one no longer dominated by American enterprises); and a mercantilist world economy of goods, services and trade. These world economies overlap and interact with one another. But each is distinct with different members, a different scope, different values and different institutions. Let us examine each in turn.

<snip>

Quote:
The world economy is thus fast coming to look far more like the mercantilism of Alexander Hamilton than like Adam Smith's free trade. It is fast becoming an "interzonal" rather than an "international" world economy.

But a new kind of mercantilist rivalry is emerging in this new economy--one in which the United States suffers from little-noticed disadvantages. For instance, the EU is seeking to export its regulations (and to impose its high regulatory costs on the United States) through international agreements, the reinterpretation of WTO rules, and the growing acceptance of EU standards in third markets. It is also promoting its new currency, the euro, as a rival and alternative to the dollar as the world's reserve currency--a step that, if it succeeded, would greatly reduce the U.S. government's ability to attract foreign funds to finance its deficit and thus maintain the Bush Doctrine. Nor can the United States be certain of maintaining the solidarity of its own bloc in competition with the EU. Several Latin American states are going slow on the negotiations to extend NAFTA for political reasons. The EU is itself seeking closer trade and economic relationships with Latin America through partnership talks with MERCOSUR. And the recent trend of Latin American politics has been to drift away from "neo-liberalism" and towards a Left perennially tempted by anti-yanquí protectionism. What is different today is that the EU offers these political forces the ability to choose free trade while simultaneously resisting U.S. "hegemony." The United States could therefore find itself with a smaller "home market" than rival blocs, but with the same high-cost regulations, in a world of intense mercantilist competition.

For thirty years after World War II, the U.S. economy dominated practically without serious competition. For another twenty years it was clearly the world's foremost economy and especially the undisputed leader in technology and innovation. Though the United States today still dominates the world economy of information, it is only one major player in the three other world economies of money, multinationals and trade. And it is facing rivals that, either singly or in combination, could conceivably make America Number Two.

What does it mean for you, your community, your country, your region?
Definitely something I've been thinking about a lot lately.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,916 • Replies: 14
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 05:51 pm
the link

Embarrassed

dropped it in my preview
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:11 pm
Dang, but I long for the days when we could sell stuff with English nuts and bolts, and they bought the same from us. Now, everybody has two sets of wrenches and at least three styles of screwdriver - except ehBeth of course, who only uses the Roberts tool. Are we still able to peddle cars with the steering wheel on the left?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:45 pm
http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/Ontario/robertson_screws.htm

I've got a vintage Robertson screwdriver, that I found at Goodwill. One of the prizes of my toolboxes.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:50 pm
I've got common, phillips, and torx. If you get firm enough, they will work on most anything. The Reed and Prince was great. Kind of like a phillips, but pointed and with sharp edges that wouldn't cam out of the head, and a number 4 would work on a number 1 screw because of the sharp point.

Drucker's "Peter Principle" seems to hold true to this day, so maybe he's on to something.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:49 pm
Whitworth
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:53 pm
You sure? I though whitworth was a machine screw thread. Sort of like a rounded Acme thread.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 08:34 am
http://www.thenation.com/docprint.mhtml?i=20050404&s=guttenplan

Quote:
Continental Drift
by D.D. Guttenplan

Print this article
E-mail this article
Write to the editors
Take Action Now!
T o an American, Europe is a cautionary tale. From Jefferson's warning that when we "get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall be as corrupt as Europe" to Madison's explanation that separation of church and state was the only way to avoid "the ceaseless strife that has soaked the soil of Europe with blood for centuries," the Founding Fathers used the Continent to signify everything our new nation was not. A century later the Gilded Age's yearning for cultural validation complicated matters, requiring a Henry James or an Edith Wharton to do justice to the shifting balance of social insecurity, moral superiority, confidence and naïveté. But even the most starry-eyed grand tourist knew they were traveling backwards in time. Well into the last century, Europe was the "old world," a fading catalogue of postcard views and primitive plumbing where Americans came to lose their innocence.

<snip>

Quote:
Europe today is an economic power, the largest internal market in history, whose Benetton-clad, Prada-shod citizens scarf Alpen Bars on the way to work, fill up their German, French and Italian cars with BP, Shell and Elf, read books published by Pearson/Penguin and Bertelsmann, and chat endlessly on Finnish-made Nokia phones over the British-owned Vodafone network. As do increasing numbers of Americans, mostly without noticing it. Such icons of everyday American life as Dunkin' Donuts, Bazooka gum, Dr Pepper, Brooks Brothers, Jiffy Lube and Household Finance are also now European owned. As are Jeeps (made by Germany's DaimlerChrysler) and even Baby Ruth bars! When my family and I moved from Brooklyn to London ten years ago, the standard of living was at least as high as in the United States--and that was just in Britain. On the Continent the trains not only ran on time but were faster, more frequent and far better appointed than anything on Amtrak's rails. Today, even in poorer countries like Greece and the Czech Republic, cell phones are ubiquitous, childcare is state-subsidized and supermarket and bookstore shelves alike are near occasions of sin. Fly from JFK to Milan, or Baltimore to Bilbao, and you are in little doubt which way the money goes.

<snip>

Quote:
This refusal of forced choices is, I would argue, the real source of Europe's radical promise. Increasingly Americans are told we must choose: Social Security or economic prosperity, job growth or workers' rights, Homeland Security or civil liberties. The right in America is well aware of the threat. Listen to Walter Russell Mead trying to console himself: "given Europe's low birth rates, the rise of an alienated, mostly Muslim, disaffected population seems inevitable." Notice the caricature, on Fox and talk-radio, of a continent of anti-Semitic cheese-eating surrender monkeys. Or the use of "European" as an epithet in the presidential election. And notice, too, how attentive the Hoover Institution has suddenly become to Western Europe. Likewise the American Enterprise Institute, which launched a New Atlantic Initiative, chaired by Radek Sikorski (married to Anne Applebaum), and whose patrons include José María Aznar, Henry Kissinger, Margaret Thatcher and Vaclav Havel.

Militarily weak, institutionally clumsy and with its own internal contradictions--over immigration, religious diversity and how best to respond to the pressure of multinational corporations--Europe offers not a paradise, or even a dream, but a thriving alternative to the American Way. Neoliberals who cast labor unions as enemies of prosperity have to explain why jobs have grown faster in Ireland, Denmark and the Netherlands--all countries where workers enjoy the full European menu of workers' rights--than in the United States.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 08:38 am
Bookmarking - it's late...
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 08:48 am
Turning down the corner of the page to keep my place in this fascinating book.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 08:57 am
Hauling this essay over from another thread that got a bit derailed.

A warning from the not-left

China's chance

Quote:
While America has been distracted by the war on terror, authoritarian Beijing has been spreading its influence through east Asia and beyond. In fact, for the first time since the fall of the Soviet Union, US "soft power" is being challenged by a state which is capable of wielding comparable economic and cultural clout

<snip>

Quote:
And yet, across Asia, and not only in authoritarian nations like Laos but also in free societies and supposedly close friends of America, I have watched China win praise and awe previously reserved for the US. In 2000, Jiang made his first visit to Cambodia, a country that only a decade ago opposed China for its past support of the Khmer Rouge. Over 200,000 cheering schoolchildren welcomed Jiang's motorcade. In early 2004, the Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra announced that he was overhauling foreign policy: the long-time US and British ally would now make China (and India) "the most important countries for Thailand's diplomacy." In 2004, China signed 24 new economic and political agreements with Burma, and it has invested so much in Mongolia that it is almost a Chinese satellite. India, which once fought a bloody border war with China, has established trade and security ties with Beijing. Russia has signed a treaty of friendship. Even South Korea, where US troops are stationed, now looks to China to broker a deal on North Korea's nuclear weapons programme.

<snip>

Quote:

<enormous snip>

Quote:

<snip>

Quote:

<snip>

Quote:
America must continue to call China what it is and do whatever small things it can to help ordinary Chinese to change their government. As China expert Ross Terrill notes: "There is no way the US can please Beijing." As long as the Chinese Communist party remains in power, the two states' political systems will be mutually incompatible. But unless Washington wakes up soon, many more countries will be doing their best to please Beijing.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sat 26 Mar, 2005 11:41 am
<Reading along>
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 01:50 am
ehBeth: What's the source of that last essay you posted? Unfortunately, the primary US news media, like the hawks in DC, have only focussed on China's expanding military capabilities and not its apparently expanding social/economic/political influence in Asia.

As for the alternative economic model provided by Europe: I hope it catches on in the US. For years real wages and benefits in the US have dropped as unions become weaker and weaker and business seeks new ways to increase the almighty profit margin. One of the things that differentiates US businesses from businesses in other countries is the relatively high compensation executives receive. I'm not familiar with the most current data, but in the 1990s the average income paid to US executives was about 17 times more than the average income paid to rank-and-file workers, whereas European and Japanese executives were getting about 4 times more then their rank-and-file members. Now we understand why companies like GM are eliminating what few good-paying blue collar jobs there are in the US in order to take advantage of cheaper labor in other countries--it's not the economy or the need to stay competitive, it's the need to accumulate more wealth than one can possibly spend in a lifetime. (Phew! I'm glad we got that cleared up.)

The truly sad thing is that the White House has actually defended the practice of downsizing and outsourcing decent blue collar jobs to cheaper labor markets and most of those suffering American workers voted that nitwit back into office anyway!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2005 07:05 am
Hi, Mills.

Glad to see you over here.

The link to the article is within "China's Chance" in that post. If you click on "China's Chance" (it's in blue up there) - it will take you to the full article at Prospect Magazine.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 04:56 pm
this week in The New Yorker

Quote:

THE FINANCIAL PAGE

IN YUAN WE TRUST

Issue of 2005-04-18
Posted 2005-04-11

Quote:
In the 2004 Hollywood comedy "EuroTrip," which chronicles the adventures of a group of American teen-agers on a debased modern version of the Grand Tour, our heroes end up trapped in Bratislava with a mere $1.83 in their pockets. Things look bleak, until they discover just what a dollar and change will buy: a luxury suite, massages, three-course meals with champagne, and assiduously servile service. Feeling flush, they toss their waiter a five-cent tip. He turns to his boss and says, "A nickel! You see this? I quit! I open my own hotel."

If only. Nowadays, when you're abroad, you're lucky if $1.83 buys you a cup of coffee. In the past three years, the value of the dollar has fallen by more than fifty per cent against the euro and twenty-five per cent against the yen, and, a recent rally notwithstanding, most analysts say that the dollar is only going to get weaker in the months to come. Europeans now routinely fly across the Atlantic to go shopping, and they have also started to nose around in the American real-estate market. You know the dollar's in trouble when our puffed-up real estate starts looking cheap.

Quote:

Quote:
0 Replies