Introduction

Reply Thu 11 Oct, 2018 05:11 pm
Hi! I am MercifulVoice and I came here for the philosophy forums, as I am especially interested with the ethical branch of philosophy! I look forward to sharing my ideas with you all.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 2,144 • Replies: 14
No top replies

fresco

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 01:50 am
@MercifulVoice,
Hope springs eternal....!
laughoutlood

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 03:51 am
@MercifulVoice,
The last philosopher round hereaways went mad and the police shot him at the end of the great 08 dust storm, ethically.

0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 06:18 am
@MercifulVoice,
Welcome to A2K. Pay no attention to the idiots, most of them think ethics is a county in the East of England anyway.
fresco

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 06:35 am
@izzythepush,
Some of my elderly relatives sre e-thics !
izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 09:27 am
@fresco,
I lived in Frinton for a year, I know all about elderly ethics.
fresco

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 12:17 pm
@izzythepush,
Frinton Exclamation Shocked
I hope you kept off 'the green sward' !
Thomas

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 12:20 pm
@MercifulVoice,
Hi, MercifulNoice --- Welcome to Able2Know!

Any particular questions in ethics that you're interested in?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 12:27 pm
@fresco,
I wasn't sorry to see the back of the place. weirdest place I've ever lived. The beach is lovely though, even if the people are a bunch of snooty geriatric godsquad.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 12:38 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Welcome to A2K. Pay no attention to the idiots, most of them think ethics is a county in the East of England anyway.

Aren't there a couple of soccer, er... football clubs located in that there county?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 12:53 pm
@MercifulVoice,
Maybe you would like to give your views on this current ethical topic.
Quote:
Sharon Street argues that there is a Darwinian Dilemma for metaethical realists. She argues that if realists hold both that there are mind-independent evaluative facts and that evolutionary forces have had a significant influence on the content of our evaluative judgements then they are faced with two options: either there is no connection between the forces of evolution and the evaluative facts (the 1st horn), or there is a connection (the 2nd horn). She argues that both of these horns are destructive, and lead to the unacceptable conclusion that most of our evaluative judgements are false. As such, the Dilemma purports to show that the realist, from within their own point of view, is committed to normative scepticism.

0 Replies

KingReef

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 12:53 pm
@MercifulVoice,
Hello, Merciful Voice.

I was looking at Moral Relativism this morning, it just so happens. Are you familiar with the idea that there are no absolutes, except for the absolute there are no absolutes? My impression of it was that Moral Relativism, in this small focus, was sophistry.

What I was looking for is the practice of Relativism where an uneducated point of view was treated with as much weight as an educated point of view.

I just thought it was interesting, partly because it seems people do that a lot, and also because sometimes those who are educated in their opinion have latched on to a faulty ideology that doesn't seem to carry truthful weight. Professors and such, even them.

What do you think of this kind of moral Relativism?
0 Replies

swallace

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2018 12:51 pm
@fresco,
Welcome! Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2018 01:14 pm
https://groups.able2know.org/philforum/

You might look in here.
0 Replies