Big news in plant genetics

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 02:23 pm
Just published in the Journal Nature:

Surprise finding shows that plants rewrite genetic code.

The article wrote:
Pruitt and other researchers in the field are expecting the paper to prompt a lot of scepticism. "The immediate response is that they must have made a mistake," Weigel says, "but I don't think so."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,478 • Replies: 20
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 06:38 pm
Wow, that's interesting!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 08:18 pm
littlek wrote:
Wow, that's interesting!

Yes. Almost Lamarkian Smile

I anticipate much muddled confusion once this information hits one of the creation/evolution threads. Of course, those threads are already seething tangles of chaotic discourse, so not much will have changed.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 08:23 pm
So... what you guys are saying is....

... evolution is FALSE!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 08:23 pm
Not just there, also in the greater scientific circles.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 08:39 pm
littlek wrote:
Not just there, also in the greater scientific circles.

Science will challenge, accept, adapt and move forward.
Creationism will challenge, reject, deny and fall back.

Each thing true to itself.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 08:41 pm
I was thinking more about the branching out that will follow this news in the fields of science.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 08:46 pm
SCoates wrote:
So... what you guys are saying is....

... evolution is FALSE!

Exactly! It's all false, the plants have just proved it. The whole evolutionary house of cards just came tumbling down and what we're left with is magic plants. Can you imagine, who would have thought... magic plants turned out to be the true creators of everthing! Smile
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 09:30 pm
...wow... magic.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 09:30 pm
I've already adopted magic into my religious beliefs. Thanks for the info.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 09:41 pm
Some of us have known about magic plants for a long time, damn it.

Seriously though -- wow. Waiting for the Nature page to load so I can read this sucker (University subscription is a beautiful thing)...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 11:22 pm
You have to stop eating them and do science with them to make the headlines, pdog.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 11:28 pm
patiodog wrote:
Seriously though -- wow. Waiting for the Nature page to load so I can read this sucker (University subscription is a beautiful thing)...

I think they just learned that genetic coding is far more complex than previously suspected.

One guy suggested that RNA may hold backup copies of previous gene structures, but they don't know if he is correct yet.

I wonder how much potential variation is in a set of genes? I wonder if the majority of the evolutionary history of an organism, all the way from bacteria to buffalo is contained in the DNA which lives today.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 11:30 pm
Ok, I have to tell you about a book I'm reading. I keep trying not to, but Ihave to. There's just been the XX vs XY chats and now the magic plant genetics.

Has anyone read Greg Bear's Darwin's Radio or Darwin's Children?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:07 am
littlek wrote:
Ok, I have to tell you about a book I'm reading. I keep trying not to, but Ihave to. There's just been the XX vs XY chats and now the magic plant genetics.

Has anyone read Greg Bear's Darwin's Radio or Darwin's Children?

I've read some of Greg Bear's older books (Blood Music and Eon), but not the Darwin books. Are they any good? I did consider picking them up at one point, but never got around to it.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 05:08 pm
Quote:
You have to stop eating them and do science with them to make the headlines, pdog.

Or keep eating tham and make headlines, the way the TV news folks do...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:41 pm
Rosborne - they are good. It took a couple chapters for me to get through some of he wordy writing techniques and he sometimes sounds preachy, but the topic is fascinating.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:20 pm
littlek wrote:
Rosborne - they are good. It took a couple chapters for me to get through some of he wordy writing techniques and he sometimes sounds preachy, but the topic is fascinating.

Thanks for the advice K. I may try them sometime, but I didn't like Eon very much. Bloodmusic was better (smaller and easier to read), but it relied on a very extreme Grey-Goo concept which I found very interesting.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:40 pm
I'm not sure I've read either of those. i don't think I've read much Bear..... I got D's Radio for my father for xmas, then my mom read it, then me, then my older sister. We all loved it. It's rare when 4 people in my family all like the same book.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:48 pm
littlek wrote:
I'm not sure I've read either of those. i don't think I've read much Bear..... I got D's Radio for my father for xmas, then my mom read it, then me, then my older sister. We all loved it. It's rare when 4 people in my family all like the same book.

_Eon_ is a huge book, like the War and Peace of Sci-fi. Some people love it and others hate it. In general, I don't enjoy much of Greg Bear's stuff. There are better writers out there. Gregory Benford is one. I don't know what style you enjoy, but Benford has a much more visionary flare than Bear.

The absolute best sci-fi I've ever read (and I've read a lot), is a book by Daniel Keys Moran called _The Last Dancer_. It is out of print now, but you can usually find copies through Amazon.

My next favorites are A.A. Attanasio's _The Last Legends of Earth_, and David Brin's _Startide Rising_.

(sorry, didn't mean to turn this thread into a sci-fi review) Smile

Best Regards,
0 Replies