What's the most controversial subject?

Mills75

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 09:12 pm
Dutchman wrote:
I wonder if Mills 75 still want the masses to be moved by good logic if auto genocide is the final answer of mankind.

I might indeed rethink my position on the use of 'good' logic by the masses if the final formulation of 'good' logic is auto genocide. However, I haven't seen a logical argument demonstrating this to be the case (certainly not at the site you listed, but then perhaps something was lost in the translation). The auto genocide argument seems like little more than reformulated nihilism.
0 Replies

Odd Socks

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 09:17 pm
Waldo_ wrote:
Religion is certainly the answer. In no other subject do you find people who wish to argue against all of the observable facts os the issue. .

I'm not sure i agree. Politics can be just as bad.
0 Replies

Waldo2

Reply Wed 23 Mar, 2005 11:39 pm
Odd Socks wrote:
Waldo_ wrote:
Religion is certainly the answer. In no other subject do you find people who wish to argue against all of the observable facts of the issue. .

I'm not sure i agree. Politics can be just as bad.

Fair enough. I hereby ammend the earlier comment.
0 Replies

val

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:31 am
Re: What's the most controversial subject?
Taliesin

Here in Europe, I think the most controversial subjects are "abortion" and "global economy". In US it is racism. And Bush.

If you are trying to start a good heated debate, choose racism. Or Bush.
But, before, read the topic about the reasons why people hate US. More heat and you will burn.

I was joking, Taliesin. You are a very intelligent woman, as I noticed in our precedent discussions. Choose a good and peaceful topic, like you did months ago. I am tired of people shouting at me that I am stupid, racist, or even suffer from illiteracy.
This is a very good forum to talk, exchange ideas. Even opposite ideas.
But there are people unable to understand that the fact of having different ideas doesn't mean we are vicious, racist, or stupid.
0 Replies

Dutchman

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:37 am
Thanks Mills for your reply,

The bare fact that a theory can be classified as 'reformulated nihilism' does not prove that it is false. So far, nobody provided me a logical argument that my theorie is false.

I define nihilism as 'nothing matters'. This I strongly oppose. In my view mankind as a very important task to fulfill: to fight against pain and suffering, for example by providing happiness.

Perhaps my definition of nihilism is wrong. I will trie my theory on some experts in that field. And work on a better translation - i can imagine the current one is a problem.

Or do something completely different. I am a bit sick and tired of my theory, I wrote it to make a sick joke, but now it's joking me!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:51 am
Right now it's the right to die issue.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 08:29 am
The most controversial subject ever known to man, is "who would win: Superman or Mighty Mouse?"

Let the madness begin.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 09:01 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
The most controversial subject ever known to man, is "who would win: Superman or Mighty Mouse?"

Let the madness begin.

Mighty Mouse. Because he is smaller and therefore quicker than Superman. And he can hide in places Superman can't get.
0 Replies

Waldo2

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:13 am
You mightymousists are all the same.

He's quicker. He's cuter. He's smaller.... blah, blah, blah.

Supes would destroy the rodent with one blast of his heat vision, and anyone who says otherwise is a total idiot.

Shocked
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:21 am
Slappy Doo Hoo: Laughing As a long time Superman supporter I shall vote for the alien over the rodent (like rodents could ever fly; as if!). However, the Marvel fans are gonna be pissed you didn't mention the Incredible Hulk.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:21 am
Re: ...
Waldo_ wrote:
You mightymousists are all the same.

He's quicker. He's cuter. He's smaller.... blah, blah, blah.

Supes would destroy the rodent with one blast of his heat vision, and anyone who says otherwise is a total idiot.

Shocked

Mighty Mouse could easily slip away into a hole in the wall, averting the heat blasting rays of Superman! And then sneak up behind him, bite him in the ankle transmitting rabies to him...is Superman impervious to rabies? I don't think so......death would be imminent, therefore making Mighty Mouse the victor.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:46 am
Dutchman wrote:
I define nihilism as 'nothing matters'. This I strongly oppose. In my view mankind as a very important task to fulfill: to fight against pain and suffering, for example by providing happiness.

What made me think of it as reformulated nihilism is its conclusion--if the logical end of humanity is self annihilation, then nothing we do really matters because all of humanity will be gone.

The premise of the auto genocide argument is subjective--one may just as easily define the beginning of life as a 'fortunate' accident rather a 'terrible' accident, or they may not seek to define at all but just make the best of it. However, if a species decided on the 'terrible' premise, then the logical outcome wouldn't just be auto genocide, but total genocide--such a species would, if capable, seek to destroy all life because it is all the result of a 'terrible' accident. But as I said, something might have been lost in the translation.

Quote:
Or do something completely different. I am a bit sick and tired of my theory, I wrote it to make a sick joke, but now it's joking me!

I would be, too. It's a goddamn depressing theory! :wink:
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:54 am
Mighty Mouse is a cartoon. Superman is a real guy. No way a cartoon could beat up a real guy.
0 Replies

Taliesin181

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 04:51 pm
Val:
Quote:
I was joking, Taliesin. You are a very intelligent woman, as I noticed in our precedent discussions. Choose a good and peaceful topic, like you did months ago. I am tired of people shouting at me that I am stupid, racist, or even suffer from illiteracy.

Well, first off, I'm not a woman, though that's an easy mistake to make on an anonymous web site. :wink:

Secondly, what "Good and peaceful topic" are you referring to?

Thirdly, thank you for the compliments, and I'll send 'em right back at you. Very Happy Hope to see you on the topic.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 05:28 pm
Nietzsche wrote:
Mighty Mouse is a cartoon. Superman is a real guy. No way a cartoon could beat up a real guy.

However, how do you kill a cartoon?

As predicted, I can tell this discussion has turned quite nasty.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:12 pm
Quote:
However, how do you kill a cartoon?

DIP! And bonus points if you know what movie that's from.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:19 pm
I would like to offer up this weighty question for your consideration..

Candy mint or breath mint?
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:46 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
I would like to offer up this weighty question for your consideration..

Candy mint or breath mint?
hmmmmm...that is a tough one. Candy mints taste better, but breath mints enhance your chances of getting laid. I'm going to have to vote for getting laid.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 06:48 pm
I agree wil Mills. When are people going to wake up and realize abortions are wrong.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 07:00 pm
SCoates wrote:
I agree wil Mills. When are people going to wake up and realize abortions are wrong.
Are you agreeing that it's better to get laid than to consume tastier candy, or are you crediting me with an opinion I neither hold nor expressed? Question
0 Replies