What are you supposed to do in life?

agrote

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 09:21 am
I have many worries that I'm not doing what I'm supposed to be doing, but what exactly is that? Should I attempt to work out what I'm supposed to do, or come up with something to do, and then do that? Or should I convince myself that it doesn't really matter what I do and stop worrying? At the time of writing, I'm hungover and I've missed every lecture this week and I didn't write my references properly in my last lab report and I haven't called my parents in ages and I can't really find myself a girlfriend and I have a veruca on my right foot... does any of that matter?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,857 • Replies: 77
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 10:10 am
I think what you should be doing is slow up on the drinking, go to class, do your homework or drop out of school and get a job.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 10:39 am
I think, in life, you follow your gut.
If it feels right to you, do it.
If it doesnt , then stop.
Our gut feelings dont always speak up loud enough for us to hear unfortunatly. Drinking quiets our gut responce even more.
If you cant live your life with out TONS of regret after you drink, then drinking is getting in the way of your life.
But that is a conclusion you have to come to.

After a big drinking binge , you may be feeling desperate because you have just realized what you have NOT done , things you have NOT addressed and want a quick answer to rid yourself of the desperation you are feeling in wanting to ' make right' everything you have left undone.
There is no quick answer. Never is, never will be.
If at all possible, start talking to your instructors. You dont have to go into detail about how drunk you were and that being the reason you are not done with your work. You can tell them you are having problems. ( Believe me, you will not be the first or the last student that has approached your teacher to say this)
And explain that you need some extra time, OR find out if there is an alternative you can do to keep yourself on track right now. If you are able to accomplish this with your teachers , and you wont loose your place in school, your parents need not know about it.
You will trip up alot in school. Alcohol, parties , and just being f-n tired will ALWAYS happen. Learn now how to correct those situations and you wont have to feel so desperate later on as you do now.
My advice, talk to your teacher, do what they say. They know what college is like. THEY WERE THERE too. Some may have been more drunk then you were. ;-) They should be able to help. If not, you have to own up to it, change what you can, and move on.

oh yeah.. another note:
Most drunk people dont find girlfriends. They find drinking partners. If drinking is a big activity to you right now, this is what you will get.
If it isnt, then just relax and realize every other student is feeling much the same as you are. Too much work, too hard - a subject to focus on etc... and they dont have time to raise THIER heads from thier books either. It is not about you , it is about the situation. College is HARD. It is time consuming and exhausting. Having a social/love life in school is harder to obtain sometimes then a completed assignment.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 11:13 am
Don't live your life. Let it live you.
0 Replies

Nietzsche

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 02:05 pm
I would argue you know exactly what you're supposed to be doing. We all do. It's the doing it part that people screw up with.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 02:43 pm
What do you think you should be doing?

Difficult question. You've got your parents instructions and expectations on one side. Society on the other. Then you've got a bunch of competing instincts.

But in the end there should be something that just seems right. If so, give it a try.

I found that in the end what I feel I truly should be doing is what I wanted to do when I was 8 and let myself get distracted from.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 04:31 pm
Are you studying something that really interests
you or taking a career path to please someone
else?

I think that you would be much more likely to go to lectures and keep up notes if you were enthused about the subject or if it was a prerequisite to a goal you very much wanted to realise.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:13 pm
Just to clarify, I'm not asking for personal advice about work or love or my non-existent drinkling problem; I'm asking whether any of these actually matter. Does anything matter? If so, what? What am I supposed to do with myself?

Nietzsche wrote:
I would argue you know exactly what you're supposed to be doing.

Would you? Okay, go ahead... argue that I know exactly what I'm supposed to be doing. Let me hear it.

Cyracuz wrote:
Don't live your life. Let it live you.

That sounds very nice but I have no idea what it is supposed to mean. Can you explain?

theantibuddha wrote:
I found that in the end what I feel I truly should be doing is what I wanted to do when I was 8 and let myself get distracted from.

What was that?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:25 pm
and Shakespeare said:

"Above all, to thine own self be true"....
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:26 pm
Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?'

`That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.

`I don't much care where--' said Alice.

`Then it doesn't matter which way you go,' said the Cat.

`--so long as I get somewhere,' Alice added as an explanation.

`Oh, you're sure to do that,' said the Cat, `if you only walk long enough.'

Everything matters, agrote, absolutely everything - because it is that everything that makes you who you are.

Nobody knows what they're supposed to do because nobody has the vaguest idea of what in the world might happen tomorrow.

The world and life are full of endless opportunity. You can decide how you want to spend your time in it but your actions won't guarantee the outcome that you want -- but at least you'll have a chance if you try.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:29 pm
shepaints wrote:
and Shakespeare said:

"Above all, to thine own self be true"....

That's not a sufficient answer I don't think. It doesn't say anything about what I should do, just that whatever I do do must be true to myself, whatever that means. Would you say that whateveri s true to myself matters and whatever is not true to myself does nto matter? Is that your answer?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 06:39 pm
This is the full advice from one more qualified
to give it than I....

"This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man." WS
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:06 pm
The Alice in Wonderland quotes are inspiring, I better read that book.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:38 pm
Get an annotated version - Alice will blow your mind.

I always found that particular section very inspiring too and my life has turned out pretty good!
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 07:43 pm
Goody gumdrops.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:18 pm
Wait!

Wait!

Let me guess....

art student?

Been there.

Knew you.

And yes, now that you mention it, I believe I will have fries with that.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:50 pm
I see you are a person who will be happy nothing less than specific, practical advice, agrote...so here it is:

You are here to find and succeed in a lucrative career. It doesn't matter what career, or even if you enjoy doing it; the important thing is that it pay well, the more the better.

Then, every month, put your salary in an envelope and mail it to me. This is what you are supposed to do in life, and nothing more. Your own ideas, feelings, and goals should be ignored, especially if you are having trouble figuring out what they are. Why go through all the messy work of actually living your own life if someone (anyone) will hand you a simple, easy-to-follow blueprint?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 10:24 pm
0 Replies

val

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 02:57 am
Re: What are you supposed to do in life?
agrote

Since we do not have any individual fate, I suppose we should do what we like. An old friend of mine after university, being an engineer, decided he preferred fishing. He bought a boat, and until today, has been a fisherman.
The problem is that most of the time we would like to make certain activity but we don't show the ability to do it. Then we must do what we can, in another activity, and learn to live with that frustration.
But there is more in life than "to do". We all must work, and as I said sometimes our work is not what we would like to do. But there are many thinks in life. You are not forced to live only for your job. You can find life in so much things and events that we have no need to be a prisoner of a career. We only must be "open to life" and, like Ciracuz said, life will find us.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2005 03:26 am
well, you never know...

I supposed to be a journalist.

And now I am journalist.

And I hate it Very Happy
0 Replies