Irish, Saint Patrik's day, and Argentina

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 01:25 pm
St Patrick's international, Saint Patrick's Day in Buenos Aires .......

The fifth largest Irish community in the world is in Argentina, and it's important to point out that Argentina is a non-English speaking country.

Hence the more than 500,000 Irish-Argentinean families living in Argentina today are a great example in terms of traditions and cultural heritage power, surviving after over a century and a half taking in consideration the huge and inevitable language barrier.

But Argentina was, and still is an official Catholic country with freedom of cult -for all the other religions and cults-, and this was a great input for those Irish catholics who were running away from the British protestant power.

All and all, it were the broad and huge pampas who welcomed the new immigrants into a world of work in the fields and the posibility of surviving on something else than potatoes. The west frontier was still open -alike in the US- and by 1850s the sheep cattle grew at an amazing rate, together with Spanish and Italian immigrants, the Irish population that set in Argentina were helping this upcoming country to develop into a Nation.

Argentina was built on those pilars of hard work and great tolerance, our culture has always been a melting pot in which all recognize their differences and similarities, were homeland traditions are preserved and new, local ones, are included, bringing up to life a unique combination. It shall raise no eyebrows then the great deal of importance St Patrick's day has in our country, not just for Irish families, but to us all in general -Irish, French, Italian, Spanish... all Argentines in one sense... Ireland patron, St Patrick is known worldwide for his works converting the Irish to Catholicism, he then -during the 5th century AF- needn't to root off the Celtic customs, but to lead them into a broader universe of beliefs in Catholicism, his didactic means to teach Godspeed using the shamrock have become a symbol of Catholic Ireland, and throughout the world March 17th it' s the day of festivity to recall upon their Saint -who's also said to have taught the Irish how to distillate alcohol from malt and barley, hence the importance of beer in this celebration.

Yesterday on March 17th 2005, Buenos Aires's most Irish quarter in Retiro area dressed up in Green and over 60,000 people celebrated St. Patricks, not with a parade but a street party throughout 10 blocks... During the days masses were celebrated at BA's Irish churches and throughout the Buenos Aires province, were the largest part of the Irish community is located.

I was a superb party, filled with joy and excitement, loud and beautiful Irish folk music being plaid until early hours of the morning, dancing and celebrating. For the last 15 years this has been the preferential location for St Patrick 's celebration in BA, specially growing in terms of non Irish participants for the great impact of Irish culture worldwide.

But even before the great flow of immigrants came to Argentina, our history has been tied to Irish outstanding personalities .........

But did ytou know why we should celebrate Saint Patrick's Day in Argentina ?

...........such as one of our nation's forefathers Admiral William Brown born in Foxford in 1777 he was to command a squadron of seven ships with which on Saint Patrick's Day in 1841, he captured the fort of Martin Garcia, called "The Gibraltar of the La Plata".

Following many successful battles, he acted as Argentine Commissioner throughout the Independece wars and even more he's doings seatled - when at the close of the war- the Liberty of Buenos Aires by the treaty of Montevideo on October 4th 1827.

Just an example, not that we'd tell each Irishmen and women's life's in our country, for not all are as renamed as Admiral Brown, but each and every one of them with their hands and loving heart helped this country, their country, to become a nation.

Happy St. Patricks and may the luck of the Irish be yours today!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,734 • Replies: 4
No top replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 01:49 pm
That's a wonderful post frassinetti. Welcome to a2k. The Irish didn't receive such a welcome in America as too often they saw signs reading Irish need not apply while looking for work. It was really a generation or two before they started climbing off the bottom of the ladder. I'm happy they found a home there and as I have some Irish in my background I'm happy they finally found a home here.
0 Replies

frassinetti

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 02:26 pm
Irish in Argentina ........
I'm glad you liked my post... I must agree with you that history is not always easy... immigrants were a need in such a big and unpopulated country such as Argentina, that's the main reason the rich and local upper class couldn't completely set them aside from society. It's good, for we're all citizens of the world, and that should be the most important thing, specially in such a melting pot country as Argentina.

Bob.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:39 pm
It's true. If we're curious we read and try to understand. Even language changes in that time. Words fall out of use and new words enter. How can we have an accurate picture? We don't know. All we can say is what we believe.
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 04:01 pm
I concur.
Last semester in my Geography my professor said that Argentina is a very European country in South America. Not only Irish, but Germans, Polish, Spaniards and others.
But I didn't know St. patty's was celebrated in Argentina.
Does Argentina have other kinds of parade?
0 Replies