Jimi Hendricks - great musician?

aidan

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 12:02 am
Edgar, (or Mr. Blythe - what should I call you, seeing how I don't even know you - don't want to be presumptious)- Download "Stone Free" and see if that song doesn't do anything for you. Don't want to assume anything - but from what I've read of you - you've got a rebel's heart. That song always has and always will makes me want to take on the world - and "experience" it, in whatever way arises. He's the one who first made me ask myself - "are you experienced?"

For me, it's the voice. Just like with Leonard -so much life in that voice - even though Jimi didn't even make it to 30. Great voice, great hands, what else can you ask from a man?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 05:09 am
I've said that I like a few of his recordings. I can't name most of the songs, because I never cared enough to learn. I have persons who play Hendrix by the hour, not just day after day, but year after year. Familiarity is not the problem.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 06:23 am
well, that's fair enough. If a certain type of music doesn't appeal to you - it just doesn't appeal to you...I have to be in a certain mood to listen to him myself - I like him played loud on long road trips - for some reason I've found he's good to drive to. I was just saying I like the sentiment behind that specific song.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 08:28 am
One of them, I told my wife years ago, would make perfect film score music to the ride of the Headless Horseman.
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 06:00 pm
I'm too lazy to read more than a few pages of of a topic when I come in late, but is everyone aware that Jimi was an R& B artist Who earlier was The Eisley Brother's guitarist.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 06:02 pm
Jimi also was a member of Little Richard's band. Richard fired him for being "too pretty." Seems there was room for only one pretty one in his organization.
0 Replies

billythekidoftheland

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 01:23 pm
he was pretty ugly
First of i think Hendrix is a legend. He defined rock guitar. and if you look at his face in alot of pictures you will notice that he actually did have quite a few acne scars.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 19 Apr, 2005 02:14 pm
joining this late, but no question about his musical greatness. the only qualification would be the shortness of his career. but with one album, his first, he introduced more memorable songs than most musicians can in a lifetime. there's ballads:may this be love, the wind cries mary; hard rock:stone free, purple haze, fire; blues: red house; experiments:third stone from the sun, manic depression. are you experienced? is one of my top 10 favorite albums, on a par with the best of the beatles or dylan, IMHO.
0 Replies