Jimi Hendricks - great musician?

Matrix500

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:24 pm
kickycan wrote:
Which brings up another question...would rock stars still be the legends they are if they weren't good-looking? I mean, say Jimi had Tiny Tim's body, and Marty Feldman's eyes? What if he had a hump on his back and horrible acne scars all over his face? Would he still have been regarded as such a legend? I wonder...

There are a lot of really "pretty" people out there trying to make it as rock stars, etc., but their good looks will only take them so far. Sure, they're much, much more pleasant to look at than your description above (hideous as it is - geez! ), but in the long run, who're you going to continue to want to listen to over and over again? Who's albums/CD's will you continue to buy, the ones with the pretty covers or the ones with the tremendous tunes inside? In my book, talent trumps looks when it comes to music...

'Course if you're thinking about groupies, the guy you described above may not be as successful as say someone who looks like Bon Jovi (not one of my favorites, anyway) but if he had musical talent, he'd be a lot more successful in other ways.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:29 pm
Quote:
In my book, talent trumps looks when it comes to music...

agreed
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:34 pm
Heya husker...How you doin'?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:35 pm
Matrix500 wrote:
Heya husker...How you doin'?

doing pretty well - just starting going to the gym this week.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2005 08:42 pm
Cool! Spring's here now, so things can only get better for you...I'm glad to hear you're getting back to being your ol' self again.
0 Replies

basket case

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 06:12 am
by the way its spelt Hendrix and YES he was an AWESOME musician i love his music and i'm only 13 i think he ROCKS DUDE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 06:28 am
You have a right to voice an opinion. He was okay on a few tracks - yawn.-
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 06:30 am
You need a category for great and for one of the genuine guitar innovators, but neither stinks nor greatest is accurate. IMO.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 06:38 am
Your opinion too will be taken into consideration, blue. (then forgotten and discarded more than likely)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 06:43 am
edgarblythe wrote:
Your opinion too will be taken into consideration, blue. (then forgotten and discarded more than likely)

I'm bathing in the warm glow of your love and respect. I has an oirange reddish aura and feels like a comfortable and favorite old sweater. Thanks so much edgar. This is nice. Very Happy
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 10:55 am
I remember buying "Are You Experienced" on vinyl when it was first released which I think from memory was 1966. I've still got it (okay I'm a hoarder). His music was revolutionary. I think the Beatles would never had made "Sergeant Peppers..." if Hendrix hadn't did what he did. But that's pure conjecture on my part. One guitar, one bass, one set of drums and all that sound. Of course about the same time Cream were doing their thing. Anyway he was great.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:03 pm
blue
I'm a jokin' and a grinnin'
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:09 pm
Hendrix, of course, was from this part of the world. Sadly, his family have been squabbling for years over whatever money can be derived from his estate.

Anyhow, I loved his early stuff but lost interest when he got into the longer, jazzier riffs. He was a revolutionary with the guitar, for sure.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 06:21 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
blue
I'm a jokin' and a grinnin'

an me too.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 08:24 pm
Oh good. You guys unnerved me earlier.

I was curious about Band of Gypsies and the direction his music was taking. Was looking forward to more.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 09:00 pm
eoe
I like to think of blue as a pal.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:38 am
edgarblythe wrote:
eoe
I like to think of blue as a pal.

Please do edgar by all means, and I shall do the same Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 05:16 pm
Psst
I still don't like most of Hendrix' stuff, no matter what youse a2kers say.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 05:19 pm
You don't have to LIKE it, but he's still a legend, and considered a great musician.

Some people hear Jimmy, and some people HEAR Jimmy. (white men can't jump, anyone? bueller?)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 05:23 pm
Some brain cells must function or not.
0 Replies