Jimi Hendricks - great musician?

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:21 pm
Awright, this is your chance to register your true opinion of his music without anybody knowing it was you voting. Sure, I know you are afraid to criticise him in front of your friends. That's why I am creating this poll.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,247 • Replies: 67
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:25 pm
I realized when I saw this thread, that I had gotten through life, without even knowing what songs Jimmy Hendricks sang.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:26 pm
Jimmy Hendricks? Or Jimi Hendrix?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:28 pm
He sang All Along the Watchtower, Like a Rolling Stone and a few others, but was mainly known as a guitarist. His version of Star Spangled Banner is unique. He he.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:28 pm
I think that it is Hendrix. I just copied what edgarblythe wrote. Curious, I went to Google. I found that there WAS a Jimmy Hendricks, but he was born in 1909. I din't think that he is the same one! :wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:32 pm
littlek wrote:
Jimmy Hendricks? Or Jimi Hendrix?

heehee...

He was unbelievable, and I loved his music.

By the way, I always spell it wrong too. I usually spell it "Hendryx" for some reason.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:33 pm
I voted greatest - he woke up a lot of us in different ways.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:35 pm
I spaell phoneticly and other wise. Whein I spell.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:37 pm
I knew there was one of each and wanted to make sure I was talking about the right one.

I love the guy. I got rid of all my old LPs, but I couldn't let go of Electric Ladyland.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:38 pm
I find it hard to vote, all the same, because of the nature of his life. He died very, very young after only a few years of making music (with the band of gypsies). Seems a small sample.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:40 pm
I'm just listening to "Hey Joe" - one of my favorite songs
by Jimmy Hendrix.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 10:51 pm
I just looked at my remaining LPs, 3 of 5 are Hendrix albums.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:44 pm
A great musician that blew the doors off guitar. But strangely, except for a few songs of his like Hey Joe and Crosstown Traffic, I don't care to listen to him much.
I guess it's sort of like Picasso. I appreciate his skill but I'd much rather stare at a Hopper.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:49 pm
Edgar, you don't like Hendrix? I just put on Electric Ladyland, thanks to this thread. "1983...(A Merman I Should Turn to Be)"--I forgot how freaky and beautiful Hendrix could get.

At that time he was really experimenting with new sounds and studio ideas, which, in my opinion bred some pure crap, but if you listen to the guitar playing itself, he was starting to go in a new, cleaner, jazzier direction...I think his music would have only gotten better with time.
0 Replies

Matrix500

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 02:29 am
Why would I ever want to criticize Jimi Hendrix? The man was a rock god extrordinaire! Many try to play like him and some are even pretty good at copying him, but the difference between him and them is Jimi conceived what he played on his own - the others are only mimics...

Jimi was raised and is buried not far from where I live - you will find very few of us around here who speak unkindly of the man.

http://www.jimihendrixmemorial.com/inspiration.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 05:41 am
I don't dislike all his stuff, but much of it assails my ears like so much racket. I think it's time to sort it out is all.
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:23 am
I play a bit of guitar myself, and I can appreciate the technique in his soloing, but to be honest, I like Hendrix best for his soulful voice, freaky yet moving lyrics and the fact he (mostly) wrote "proper" songs, rather than some modern virtuosos who see a song as a mere vehicle for some "fret-wanking".

My favourite tracks are "Third Rock From The Sun", "Let This Be Love" and "Castles Made Of Sand".
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:52 am
Don't ask me. He was my first crush. It's impossible for me to see him as anything less than magnificent in every way.

http://www.electricladystudios.com/images/jimi3s.jpg

be still my heart...
0 Replies

hotsauce

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 08:40 am
I didn't know there were people out there who could possibly think it was just noise. Shocking!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:05 am
You're kidding, right? My mother would all but leave her own house when my brother put Hendrix on the stereo. She finally demanded that he buy headphones, which of course we're fabulous for listening to Hendrix. Or anything for that matter. Headphones were wonderful.
0 Replies