Brazilian men take on wives' surnames

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:07 am
Brazilian men take on wives' surnames

Brazilian men are belying their macho reputation by taking on their wives' surnames.

Registry officials in Sao Paolo say 540 grooms adopted their bride's surname in the last three months.

Psychologist Deisely Carreiro Stefani told Folha de Sao Paulo newspaper: "By doing this the men show their brides how much they love and admire them."

Newlywed Jeremias Oliveira de Souza used to be called Jeremias Silva Luz.

He said: "When I got married, I wanted to start a new story with my wife and forget the sad things of the past."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 9,693 • Replies: 18
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 10:43 am
Interesting. I know only one man who took his wife's name. He was from Afghanistan and his wife was American. He felt sympathy for his wife's father that he had no sons and the family name would not live on in that generation, so he took his wife's name to perpetuate it. He also found it easier for his friends to pronounce.
0 Replies

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:09 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Interesting. I know only one man who took his wife's name. He was from Afghanistan and his wife was American. He felt sympathy for his wife's father that he had no sons and the family name would not live on in that generation, so he took his wife's name to perpetuate it. He also found it easier for his friends to pronounce.

That's rather unusual for an Afghan to marry outside the race/culture.....but what can you do. Well, at least he's willing to assimilate.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 10:28 am
Two of my friends have taken their wives surnames; a couple have taken both names.

It's not that unusual here, but people still wonder more about it than the other way around :wink:
superjuly

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:15 pm
macho reputation??

Yeah, riiiiiiight!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:26 pm
I was going to say that, but I get kinda tired of correcting it stateside.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:59 pm
Ok you guys confused me in the macho thing - can you explain it more?
TIA
0 Replies

Athos

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 12:38 pm
We use a different system here. Wives don't take their husbands surname and by the way neither does the husband take his wife's.
Families identify themselves with two surnames, the one corresponding to the father followed by the mother's surname.

Like this: First name, Father 1st last name, Mother 1st last name.

Frankly I don't understand the need to change your last name to the one of your husband/wife
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2005 02:14 pm
Athos
Athos wrote:
We use a different system here. Wives don't take their husbands surname and by the way neither does the husband take his wife's.
Families identify themselves with two surnames, the one corresponding to the father followed by the mother's surname.

Frankly I don't understand the need to change your last name to the one of your husband/wife

Athos, neither do I. I assume it a hold over of the old social status of women as the property of their husbands---or their fathers.

BBB Mad
0 Replies

sherbet808

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:46 am
Question
Quote:
Athos wrote:

So what happens in the following generation? For example, if a man from Father Last Name A - Mother Last Name B marries a woman from Father Last Name C - Mother Last Name D, is the child going to have the last name of Father Last Name A - and Mother Last Name C (because his/her father's 1st last name is A and his/her mother's 1st last name is C)? And if that's true, then only the father's family name will be carried on past the second generation anyway, right?

By the way, I'm from America, and I am used to only the father's last name being passed on, so this is completely new to me. I'll apologize ahead of time if any of this sounds ignorant.
0 Replies

sherbet808

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:46 am
Question
Athos wrote:

So what happens in the following generation? For example, if a man from Father Last Name A - Mother Last Name B marries a woman from Father Last Name C - Mother Last Name D, is the child going to have the last name of Father Last Name A - and Mother Last Name C (because his/her father's 1st last name is A and his/her mother's 1st last name is C)? And if that's true, then only the father's family name will be carried on past the second generation anyway, right?

By the way, I'm from America, and I am used to only the father's last name being passed on, so this is completely new to me. I'll apologize ahead of time if any of this sounds ignorant.
0 Replies

sherbet808

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:47 am
Question
Athos wrote:

0 Replies

sherbet808

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:47 am
Question
Athos wrote:

0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:54 am
The first Czechoslovak President (got into office in 1918) took his wife's name as his middle name - Tomas Masaryk became Tomas Garryque Masaryk - or TGM as everybody knew him.
Unheard of at the time in Central Europe.
0 Replies

Athos

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 09:07 am
That's right, only the father name will be carried on past the second generation.
0 Replies

Rionano

Reply Thu 8 Oct, 2009 06:14 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Dearest Ekaterina:

It is very important for me to express to you how much you really mean to me. I wish I could do this in person while holding you in my arms and gazing into your eyes. But since we are physically separated by miles of emptiness, this expression must come in the form of letters such as this.

Rina, I know it is difficult for you, as it is for me, to be separated for so long. Life seems to be full of trials of this type which test our inner strength, and more importantly, our devotion and love for one another. After all, it is said that "True Love" is boundless and immeasurable and overcomes all forms of adversity. In truth, if it is genuine, it will grow stronger with each assault upon its existence.

Honey, our love has been assaulted by this distance, and I am convinced that it is true because the longer I am away from you, the greater is my yearning to be with you . You are my enchanted Princess, and I am your devoted Prince. I cherish any thought of you, prize any memory of you that rises from the depths of my mind, and live for the day when our physical separation will no longer be.

Until that moment arrives, I send to you across the miles, my tender love, my warm embrace, and my most passionate kiss.

Love always,

[Sgt. Smith.

jespah

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 03:47 am
@Rionano,
I'm sure that Walter really appreciates your sentiments.
dadpad

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:12 am
@Rionano,
book book book Mark
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 9 Oct, 2009 06:19 am
@jespah,
jespah wrote:

I'm sure that Walter really appreciates your sentiments.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2gxib02.gif
0 Replies