What religion are you?

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 02:01 am
I'm new to the board, and I was wondering what faiths we have represented here. So, speak up! And if you'd like, tell us a little about what you believe and how your religion does things.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,666 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 03:16 am
Hey Starchild. I'm an atheist.

It is not a religion and one atheist often has vastly different views to another. Atheists have only one thing in common, they do not believe in any gods.

Some of them (like me) actually beleive that there are no gods (which is not the same thing) but we cannot prove that ...just as theists cannot prove that they do.

I see that the everything in the universe seems to have a logical explanation, and every day more common explanations are found for things that were once the province of gods.

I think also that if gods did not exist, then we would have decided they did anyway, and the world would look exactly like it does now.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:00 am
Buddhist. You may want to visit some of the many previous threads on this very topic.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:08 am
Starchild14- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

I think that if you ask a question as you did, it would be appropriate for you to start things off. What are YOUR beliefs?
0 Replies

raheel

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 03:42 am
welcome to A2K Starchild14

i am a muslim- what are you?
0 Replies

muslim1

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:02 am
Welcome to this forum, Starchild14.

I am muslim.

Discover Islam

Invitation to Islam
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:11 am
catholic by birth,
semi-Atheist bei choice.
0 Replies

dauer

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 01:16 pm
I'm a post-denominational Jew because I don't like the in-fighting and politics and think people are more concerned with what type of service their shul has than what umbrella organization it affiliates with. But my ideas are represented usually within Reconstructionism and Renewal. (Renewal itself is post-denom.)

Dauer
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 01:19 pm
Atheist of the non-agnostic variety. Wink
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 01:27 pm
Ex-fundamentalist Christian and agnostic (of the non-atheist variety).
0 Replies

Swift

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 01:43 pm
100% christian... could someone who is athies explain to me how they don't believe in anything.

what happens to you after death? what the purpose of life is?

how you can be semi-athiest?

Those are some things that I don't understand.

thx,
swift
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 01:52 pm
Swift, We believe in logic and science. I can't speak for the other atheists, but I don't see any advantage in any of the religions created by humans. The religious aways deny what the members of their group is capable of (including personal and group atrocities against other humans); they always fall on "but that's not our xxx religion, because...." For another, there are too many conflicts, errors and omissons in the bible that people rely on to "live by." Most claim the bible is the word of god, but it's used subjectively by people with different definitions and criteria. Some claim one must have the blessings and enlightenment given by god to understand the bible. No thank you.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 02:13 pm
I never refer to myself as "semi-atheist" (I've never heard that term before). But there are a lot of us who are Agnostic.

I, like CI believe in logic and science (which incidently why I stopped being a Christian... but that's another story).

However, I recognize that there is a large part of human experience that reason and science can simply not answer. This is part of the mystery of being human.

So, as an Agnostic, I answer that there is a lot that I will never know. The nature of God is one of the things that is far too big for me to understand. I know that there is order in the Universe, but is there a sentient being behind it all? or is it somthing else.

The Christian religion presents a pretty narrow belief system, and if you are willing to live within its constraints is as good as any. But after years of living as a very commited Christian, I found it pretty inadaquate at providing true meaning.

As an Agnostic, I leave open the possiblity that there is a God. I certainly appreciate the miraculous things in life as having much more value than can be assigned by logic alone.

I don't know if there is anything after death, and thus I am doing the most I can with my life here.
0 Replies

Swift

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 04:38 pm
ok
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 04:43 pm
I do have a philosophy by which I try to live by; treat all living things with respect and dignity. Do I fail? Ofcoarse - who doesn't.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 05:39 pm
I am an atheist, but I believe (as do the agnostics and the more thoughtful Christians) that this choice is strictly a matter of faith.

It sometimes seems that our "sect" is overrepresented on a2k.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:15 pm
Well, I call myself a "semi-atheist" as I do believe in logic
and science, however, if I'm in deep trouble, I pray to God
to bail me out Wink

All right, all right, I call myself a hypocrite Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:40 pm
Okay, CJ, don't be offened when I call you a "hypocrite." LOL
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 09:03 pm
I'm another atheist. I do love Zen, but do not practice it. As a child I attended church faithfully, trying to latch onto whatever it was the Christians claim to have. But, it didn't take. Try as I would, I ultimately had to face life with no god and certain death. I don't regret it. I prefer honesty to self deception. I believe morality is inate. I believe religion has its foundation in human uncertainty, but that it also is a manmade system that tries to shepherd our primal knowledge of self and species. I am not an agnostic, because god was invented by people with no foundation other than fear and ignorance.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:44 pm
I'm a loopyist.

I believe that God exists but is completely and incurably insane. It explains everything.
0 Replies