Learn something new everyday

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 08:54 am
Just kidding. I love you like a brother and share your pain.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 10:31 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I heard you were sick, Slappy. I laughed my ass off.

Of course Slappy's sick. He also seems to have an infection of some sort....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 11:39 am
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

Gus, I laugh my ass off when I find out I'm sick, too.

You see, I'm one of those "glass half full" type of guys. Like to make the best out of every situation, and if possible, turn a typically dreary thing like getting sick into a fun game.

For example, this morning I popped 4 ephedrine pills to wake up and get pumped, and got on the subway(that's the train) during the morning rush. I was sure to "accidently" cough on people standing in close quarters, and at every stop I'd get off the train, only to lick my palm and run it over some unsuspecting person's grill before running like a fat kid who saw a candy store ahead.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2005 11:39 am
DrewDad wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

Of course Slappy's sick. He also seems to have an infection of some sort....

True. That line was definitely going to come sooner or later, if not from me.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:14 am
I just learned the coolest thing today. I learned that Killer whales are actually dolphins, and that they are vicious predators. To kill their prey, the repeatedly ram into it and drown it. They eat dolphins, sea lions, walruses, sharks, and even other whales.

Isn't that cool?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:50 am
umm, how do they drown other fish?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:40 pm
Ooops. I meant that when they eat other whales they drown them.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 12:47 pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/animals/features/76grey.shtml

Black and white versus grey

As we approached, we saw flashes of black and white: killer whales. A few hundred metres ahead was a grey whale mother and her calf, and the gap was closing. Suddenly, the water violently erupted. Whale flukes and fins broke the surface. It was an attack.

The pod of about 15 killer whales worked together to tire the grey whales and separate the mother and calf. The attack was sustained and violent, the killer whales repeatedly ramming into the side of the calf with extraordinary force, no doubt inflicting serious internal injuries. At times, the calf's body was thrust partly out of the water. The calf was about six metres long, and so the force needed must have been tremendous.

It was incredible to watch such a concerted effort by the killer whales and impossible not to admire their co-operation and strength.

Seeing the desperate calf fight for its life was heart-breaking, and I wished that the killer whales would dispatch it quickly. But the most moving sight of all was the mother repeatedly trying to protect her calf by repositioning herself between the killer whales and her calf if they were separated, or more dramatically, by swimming underneath the calf to push it out of the way of the killer whales. Again, an incredible feat of strength.

As the calf began to roll in the water, we could see its bleeding pectoral fins, with distinct teeth marks where the killer whales had been holding the calf to prevent it surfacing and so drown it. The water around the calf began to turn red.

After hours of trying to protect her calf, the mother slowly swam shoreward, as though realising that her offspring was lost. We occasionally glimpsed the calf's beautifully dappled flank as a small group of killer whales dived and pushed it to the surface to eat. Then, the calf's body sank slowly beneath the surface for the final time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:44 pm
Moving along from dead young whales,
is Slappy better yet?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:45 pm
Osso, I just noticed your sig line..... that's sweet, thanks for adding Boo.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 09:52 pm
Yes, Osso. All better, only two more penicillin to pop and I'm done. Haven't had a Tylenol in a few days, so I'm almost chemical-free. This means liver abuse via alcohol may resume very shortly.

I've learned that I don't fall short of the "people like to share their misery" rule. I've told pretty much everyone I know how much weight I've lost over the last two weeks.
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:01 pm
I learned never to leave fresh baked goods on the counter while going to the gym for a workout when the boyz are home!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:40 pm
So, I've learned all is fine.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:41 pm
I've learned that I'm the only one on this thread who truly appreciates just how cool Killer whales are.
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:45 pm
Whales scare me
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 30 Mar, 2005 11:53 pm
I watched killer whales take out a baby whale. It's mom fought like crazy, the baby tried to stay alive. The orcas drowned it, battered it, the mom gave up as the calf was dying 4 hours after the attack started.... sounds familiar, yes? And then the orcas fed on JUST the tongue and lower jaw of the calf - left the rest to sink to the depths. After all that heart wrenching effort of the mother's - was just so damned sad. I really did like orcas a lot, it'll be a while before I like them again.
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:01 am
Sad
hmm...there are orcas off the BC coast. Can I still respect 'em? I am not a huge fan of killing for the sake of eating. I know it happens but it doesn't mean I have to like it..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:22 am
Nice to see you here, Ay Son.
0 Replies

Ay Sontespli

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:33 am
Wink
The nick that I am accustomed to is "Sonte" I am a Brownie leader here in Brisbane and all the girls call me "Sonte" coz they can't or don't want to bother with saying ' Ay Sontespli" which means Free Spirit in my native language.
And thanks for the welcome osso; a2K often brings a smile to my face Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:54 am
OK, Sonte. Fair warning, many of the dastardly people on this thread are - while in person very nice - simply vilinous, uh oh, vilanous, er, vile, in word play. They even hurl whales into space...
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 01:44:34