Learn something new everyday

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 10:18 pm
Today I learned that knitting dates back to the 14th century. Some references to it in old europe have survived into modern history and there are hose (high socks) which had survived from Egypt at around the same time.

Let's learn a little something every day! What can you share?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 10,272 • Replies: 261
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 10:20 pm
Hmmm...I'll have to get back to this thread a little later when I think of something.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 10:21 pm
I learned that brandy is better than bad beer. Seriously, bookmarking for future posts.
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 11:18 pm
(bm)
Today I learned (the hard way) that goat cheese is not a good substitute for Mascarpone (when making Tiramisu)
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 11:21 pm
Ohmygosh gravy, that must have tasted fatally, yikes.

Today I learned, that driving 100 m/h has its consequences http://www.borge.diesal.de/oh.gif
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 13 Mar, 2005 11:58 pm
Today I re-learned to set a time by the computer when simmering soup..
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 08:34 am
I learned that I'm.....somewhat different than other folks. Besides having some vital parts missing, I realized that I don't have finger and toe nails, too! Sad I guess I should look on the bright side. It means I don't have to cut them.....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 08:38 am
But at least you've got wooden balls.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 09:18 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
But at least you've got wooden balls.

Since when have you heard of a dummy having wooden "private parts"? That area seems to have been glossed over when the good Lord made me! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 09:29 am
When urinating outdoors, always take temperature and wind direction into account.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 09:46 am
George wrote:
When urinating outdoors, always take temperature and wind direction into account.

"I see," said the blind man as he pissed into the wind.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 08:08 pm
Gravy, as always, it's good to see you. I'm sorry about your tiramisu!
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 09:57 pm
LK:Thanks, and ditto.
Applying McGyver techniques to cooking causes occasional backfires.

CalJane: any mementos from your subsonic learning experience?

Today, I learned that Jordan(the nation, not the dude) is home to 2M+ Palestinians, comprising 40% of the population.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:11 pm
Today I learned that helping my elderly mother is much less of a struggle if I view the experience as that of a loving parent caring for an innocent child, with her as the child.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:17 pm
Quote:
CalJane: any mementos from your subsonic learning experience

Nothing that I'm too proud of. Yet motorcycle cops are actually quite nice. I told him my little one needed to use the restrooms urgently and that we were about 5 min away from Grandma (the latter was true). I made my daughter play along <rotten mother>
He did give me a ticket anyway, however it was for 85 m/h only. It still will cost me, but far less! The last time I paid over $ 300 for a 100 m/h speeding ticket somewhere in the deserts of California.

As I said, nothing I'm proud of, but I'm just born to race....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:28 pm
I suppose you've found 5 in central cal? I have found myself going 90-100 on 101, bad girl. Mostly I try to do better, I don't need crashes, or, sigh, tickets.

Naming no names, I once was sped in a state car up 5, over 100 generally, and when we were stopped we were waved on. Enough said.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:36 pm
Yeah osso, our California highway police is all right. I was on 5 right Wink Once in Italy, the Carabinieri came after
me, drove into the lane next to me and gestured wildly
I should drive slower. I threw them a handkiss and off
they went. Being a woman does have its perks, doesn't it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:36 pm
Hmmm.... did I learn anything new today....?

I learned that involving a third kid, on a play date, can make the whole afternoon easier rather than more difficult.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:39 pm
...back on track: Today I learned (once again) that
music can make you feel sooooo good, despite having
a rotten day Wink
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:43 pm
I went to another italian meetup tonight, and I learned that the people who I've met there already have this idea that I am some kind of player. This is only the second one I've gone to...hehehe...they have me all wrong!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Learn something new everyday
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 07:45:42