http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/dfw/dfwcotontail.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,617 • Replies: 11
No top replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 01:20 pm
A research project is waiting for volunteers.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 02:09 pm
roadkill!

I saw a bunny (not sure which kind) dart across a front yard as I was driving home from work last wednesday. Poor thing, I thought they holed up all winter, no?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 02:12 pm
Poor thing must think its Spring!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 02:17 pm
Not the way it was running. Jack frost was definitely nipping at it's tail.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 02:33 pm
Is love in the air?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 03:45 pm
i love them little bunnies
they're what i love to eat
i bite their little ears off
i nibble on their tiny feet. Wink
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 28 Feb, 2003 03:58 pm
Wabbits don't hibernate. Smile They gots all that nice warm fur to keep themselves warm.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 08:44 am
I've seen a few in my town. We also have skunks and beavers.

Like a real zoo out here!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 10:45 am
I have a nice little skunk myself...always in the middle of the street in front of the house when Im coming or going.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2003 10:48 am
regarding the article.....

Quote:

WHY THIS RESEARCH? Periodic surveys of the two cottontail species help biologists monitor changes in population status and distribution. These surveys are useful in evaluating long term trends. Survey methods such as hunter collections and road kills provide substantial information on distribution but the information is only as good as the amount of participation by interested people, and the geographic distribution of collected specimens and habitat sampling. When locations of rabbits are gleaned from the survey data, biologists will be able document habitats where New England cottontails are found. Wildlife managers can recommend or implement habitat management techniques to maintain conditions favorable to the species. Data from the surveys also provide a baseline for more detailed site-specific studies. Cottontail specimens collected are typically placed in museums for future study and reference.

HOW YOU CAN HELP! MassWildlife is conducting a statewide research survey of cottontail rabbits. This survey is scheduled every 10 years to determine the distribution of the Eastern and New England cottontail in the state. Skulls or carcasses with skulls are collected from hunters and wildlife rehabilitators or salvaged as road kills from interested citizens. Because the two species are so similar in appearance, intact skulls of these specimens are needed to identify the species.

MassWildlife is requesting cottontail hunters and other interested citizens to contact the MassWildlife District Office which serves their community for information on how to participate in the survey. An informational letter, tags and instructions on how to collect specimens and what to do with them will be sent to interested parties. MassWildlife would appreciate your assistance in collecting these specimens!

Information Needed for the Cottontail Survey:

Date and town where the animal was taken
Method of collection. (e.g. roadkill, hunted)
Exact location where the animal was taken noted on a topo map or GPS coordinates to later identify the habitat quality.
MassWildlife will be running this research survey for 2 years (July 2001 to June 2003) but may extend the survey for a third year to maximize the number of specimens.

roadkill little k!!!! INstead of just photographing it...what an idea! Wink
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2003 06:03 am
Thanks Quinn!
0 Replies