Asia Argento: Another problem with the #MeToo movement.

Reply Tue 21 Aug, 2018 03:51 pm
Asia Argento is one of the leaders of the #MeToo movement and has been since the Harvey Weinstein story broke. It turns out that she paid $380,000 to actor Jimmy Bennet to cover up an a sexual relationship that happened when he was a minor nearly less than half her age.

Of course, the hypocrisy is amazing. But it underlines the real problem with the #MeToo movement.

The #MeToo movement may have started as a statement about sexual assault, but it has become a movement about gender politics. It is great for the political narrative when women are victims.

When women are perpetrators, the political agenda breaks down.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/21/opinion/asia-argento-avital-ronell-weinstein.html

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 443 • Replies: 3
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2018 12:44 pm
@maxdancona,
Jimmy Bennet wrote:
I did not initially speak out about my story because I chose to handle it in private with the person who wronged me.

My trauma resurfaced as she came out as a victim herself. I have not made a public statement in the past days and hours because I was ashamed and afraid to be part of the public narrative. I was underage when the event took place, and I tried to seek justice in a way that made sense to me at the time because I was not ready to deal with the ramifications of my story becoming public.

At the time I believed there was still a stigma to being in the situation as a male in our society. I didn't think that people would understand the event that took place from the eyes of a teenage boy. I have had to overcome many adversities in my life, and this is another that I will deal with, in time. I would like to move past this event in my life, and today I choose to move forward, no longer in silence.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/23/entertainment/jimmy-bennett-statement/index.html
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2018 03:27 pm
Wow! Just Wow! What a sleazeball.

The perpetrator was 37 years old at the time and admits to having sex with a 17 year old. She is now blaming the victim.

Quote:
The horny kid jumped me. I had sex with him and it felt weird.

If anyone thinks that make any sense, imagine a 37 year old male saying that about his 17 year old female victim. This is the hypocrisy of the #MeToo movement that can't accept a female perpetrator.

Is there anyone who supports MeToo that wants to denounce this?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2018 03:38 pm
I want to praise Rose McGowan (I have been critical of her in the past). Rose is doing is doing the right thing by accepting the Asia Argento is a perpetrator and I applaud her for it.

Quote:
There absolutely should be no leeway or tolerance for sexual assault. Hard stop. NONE. Victims also shouldn’t be told how they should react or what they should say about their abusers. However as allies to the victim and voyeurs of an event we should find a better way to balance support of the victim with due process for the accused. I’ve never claimed to be perfect. This week especially has made me come to terms with the fact that we all have a lot of growing to do, including myself.

I have a new found respect for Rose McGowan.
0 Replies