Is 'science' scientific?

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 02:29 am
Well, that remains to be seen, of course.

Maybe we can start with the myth of the 'scientific method"

It looks likes a ridiculous recipe, and if it really worked we would be much further.

I really think that 'The Scientific Method"(TSM) is a myth.

What are your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,013 • Replies: 11
Topic Closed
No top replies

Amoh5

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 03:06 am
@OldGrumpy,
I like science only if it is safe and environmental friendly. I get really annoyed with people that talk about the current science as though its highly intelligent and superior, like its some kind of god. Heck, our current science is killing our planet, the poles are melting, whats to become of our grandchildren and great grandchildren.
I hate it when this so-called scientific community degrades our own ancestors saying that they're primitive and uncivilized, at least they didn't pollute the planet like they are doing. So who's civilised now? That the planet is now polluted and its going through a meltdown threatening to kill all life as we know it on this planet.
I think its just too much showing off from these scientific morons thinking they are better than our ancestors, if it wasn't for them with their fighting and struggling for survival we wouldn't be here, how ungrateful these morons are. I think this global warming thing has come to bite them in the ass, too much showing off I would think
OldGrumpy

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 04:25 am
@Amoh5,
"I like science only if it is safe and environmental friendly."

Ok, but I think this is raher vague. What do you mean with "safe" & with
"environmental friendly"

"I get really annoyed with people that talk about the current science as though its highly intelligent and superior, like its some kind of god."

Yes, I really understand that. For most people it a kind of a religion (scientism).
But, that was the intention of 'science' right from the start.

"Heck, our current science is killing our planet, the poles are melting, whats to become of our grandchildren and great grandchildren. "

I disagree here. I assume you are talking here about AGW., anthropogenic global warming , right? There is anothr thread about this and I think it is absolutely untrue and used for political purposes. For e.g. the IPCC is
a political organ, not a scientific one.

"whats to become of our grandchildren and great grandchildren. "

If you are really and in all earnest worry about this, you have to help to stop the climate change hysteria, because from that a society will be build that
will be very much like a prison. AGW is just an excuse to get public support for buidling the prison!

"I hate it when this so-called scientific community degrades our own ancestors saying that they're primitive and uncivilized, at least they didn't pollute the planet like they are doing."

The planet is not that much polluted, see above.

"That the planet is now polluted and its going through a meltdown threatening to kill all life as we know it on this planet."

It really is not, you are hooked by all the propaganda in the mainstream.

"I think this global warming thing has come to bite them in the ass, too much showing off I would think"

Again there is no man made global warming(AGW) at all!

Please look p agenda 21/2030 to understand why there is so much propaganda for AGW.
Amoh5

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 05:16 am
@OldGrumpy,
Pollution is so obvious everywhere, the rubbish piles in the waters, on the land, in the air, what planet do you live on? And you tell me you don't know what safe and environmental friendly science technology is, is English your first language at all? I regret ever replying to you, I should've trusted my first impression of you, you truely are a nutcase
OldGrumpy

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 05:58 am
@Amoh5,
"Pollution is so obvious everywhere, the rubbish piles in the waters, on the land, in the air, what planet do you live on? And you tell me you don't know what safe and environmental friendly science technology is, is English your first language at all? I regret ever replying to you, I should've trusted my first impression of you, you truely are a nutcase"

Ahhhh The ad hominems again! Firts,I didn't say there is no polution
And indeed, no, I don't know what YOU specifically mean with safe etc.
If you don't tell me what you think it is how can I know? I think it is a fair question.
0 Replies

mark noble

Tue 7 Aug, 2018 11:49 am
@OldGrumpy,
So 'scientific methods' are 'myths'? Cheers for deducing that for me.
And you've abbreviated it to 'TSM' IN CAPITAL LETTERS - Great.
I'm likely to never post to you again, Grumpy.
But have a brilliant sojourn, especially during post-pubescence (Potentially spelled, spelt otherwise:)
OldGrumpy

Thu 9 Aug, 2018 06:12 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
So 'scientific methods' are 'myths'?

Nope, talking about a red hearing!

I never wrote that! I wrote that THE scientific method ia a myth.

Bet eh?! Let's face it. You like twisting words, eh?!

No counterarguments. That is mostlt the case.
mark noble

Fri 2 Nov, 2018 10:58 am
@OldGrumpy,
'Maybe we can start with the 'myth' of the scientific method'
IS the 2nd line of your OP.

Dude - Who cares...?
OldGrumpy

Fri 2 Nov, 2018 01:30 pm
@mark noble,
Quote:
Dude - Who cares...?

I do, so do a lot of other people.
0 Replies

OldGrumpy

Fri 23 Nov, 2018 07:43 am
Quote:
Richard Horton, editor-in-chief, The Lancet, in The Lancet, 11 April, 2015, Vol 385, “Offline: What is medicine’s 5 sigma?”:

“The case against science is straightforward: much of the scientific literature, perhaps half, may simply be untrue. Afflicted by studies with small sample sizes, tiny effects, invalid exploratory analyses, and flagrant conflicts of interest, together with an obsession for pursuing fashionable trends of dubious importance, science has taken a turn towards darkness…

“The apparent endemicity of bad research behaviour is alarming. In their quest for telling a compelling story, scientists too often sculpt data to fit their preferred theory of the world. Or they retrofit hypotheses to fit their data. Journal editors deserve their fair share of criticism too. We aid and abet the worst behaviours. Our acquiescence to the impact factor fuels an unhealthy competition to win a place in a select few journals. Our love of ‘significance’ pollutes the literature with many a statistical fairy-tale…Journals are not the only miscreants. Universities are in a perpetual struggle for money and talent…”
0 Replies

OldGrumpy

Fri 23 Nov, 2018 07:44 am
Quote:
Marcia Angell, former editor of The New England Journal of Medicine, in the NY Review of Books, January 15, 2009, “Drug Companies & Doctors: A Story of Corruption”:

“It is simply no longer possible to believe much of the clinical research that is published, or to rely on the judgment of trusted physicians or authoritative medical guidelines. I take no pleasure in this conclusion, which I reached slowly and reluctantly over my two decades as an editor of The New England Journal of Medicine.”
0 Replies

OldGrumpy

Fri 23 Nov, 2018 07:45 am
Quote:
John PA Ioannidis, Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, University of Ioannina School of Medicine, Ioannina, Greece, and Institute for Clinical Research and Health Policy Studies, Department of Medicine, Tufts-New England Medical Center, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, in PLoS Medicine, August 30, 2005, “Why Most Published Research Findings Are False”:

“There is increasing concern that most current published research findings [in all scientific fields] are false… a research finding is less likely to be true when the studies conducted in a field are smaller; when effect sizes are smaller…when there is greater financial and other interest and prejudice; and when more teams are involved in a scientific field in chase of statistical significance. Simulations show that for most study designs and settings, it is more likely for a research claim to be false than true. Moreover, for many current scientific fields, claimed research findings may often be simply accurate measures of the prevailing bias…There is increasing concern that in modern research, false findings may be the majority or even the vast majority of published research claims. However, this should not be surprising. It can be proven that most claimed research findings are false.”
0 Replies