Possible future site outage

jespah

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 03:48 pm
As many of you are aware, we had a site outage yesterday. This may result in our having to move A2K's hosting. Don't worry - we'll do our best to tell you in advance.

The site outage would/will last a few days as files are transferred from the current hosting company to the new one. During that time, everything will be down, including Support email. We will do our level best to get the site back up and running as fast as possible, and we thank you in advance for your patience in this matter.

A new host will mean a better site, with more room for photos and avatars. It will have the same url as it has now, so you won't need to change your Favorites.

Thank you again for your patience. Please feel free to contact me should you have any questions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,437 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 27 Feb, 2003 05:53 pm
I made a few phone calls and there's good news. I think I might be able to use a hosting plan that would require a few hundred dollars in way of an initial invenstment as opposed to the up to 2000 dollars that I was worried about. This means that the move to a dedicated server is financially viable for me (many thanks to those who bought through our affiliate links such as Amazon, the revenue is not much but it will help pay for these unexpected setup and tranfer fees) and the only problems is if my current host suspends my account before I am able to find time to make this transfer.

So in short, we may have downtime but afterward we will be on a dedicated server, and for those who don't know what that means it is a computer dedicated to just this site and it will enable us to do many cool things that we are not currently able to do (due to space/bandwidth constraints) such as add photo albums etc.

I am being rushed by my host and hadn't planned to take up the cost of a dedicated server at this stage but if all goes well we should be alright. Once we are on a dedicated server we can support 1000s of times the current activity level and we should be all set for the next few years.

Please not that it is likely that you will see banner ads in the future, this is to ensure the longevity of the site because until there are ads that help pay the costs this site will rely entirely on my employment, a situation that is far too precarious for my taste. My intention is to secure the future of this site and with affiliations and banner advertising I hope to do so.
0 Replies