Who are the Most Overrated Bands?

bigdice67

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 07:04 pm
Hey, Slappy, 'course I like metal! Damn it boy, right now I'm having a good dose of Motörhead, before that it was Judas Priest....

And the bar I visited last was playing like ONLY Metallica (LOST)( I asked), but I can't-- I dunno, relate?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:13 am
Slappy -- The SNL cast played the White Stripes. I think AMy Pohler was Meg.

As far as heavy metal is concerned, I always thought it interesting that my daughter who was trained in classical music since age 8 loved hm as a high schooler. She married a man she describes as a better musician than she is and he loves Morrisey and Elvis Costello and the Pixies and that gravel voiced singer/actor who often ends up in the folk music category because there is no place else to put him.
0 Replies

chocolate jim

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 02:18 am
U2 definitely are not overrated...Bono does have an air of pretentiousness to him, but Joshua Tree and War are both so amazing...they have earned their respect. As for bands that ARE overrated, I would have to say Green Day. How many 3 chord variations can one band churn out to such critical appraise? Granted, I hear American Idiot finds them switching up their style, but still... they are the poster boys for the anti-bush movement, which is just embarassing. Radiohead is pretty good but immensely overrated as well. anyways let me plug a band that is UNDERRATED: THE SUPER FURRY ANIMALS! aaahhh now that is one band that isn't bound by one genre, they are amazing. i digress.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 08:14 am
As far as U2, I like their music a lot, and they've put out a ton of great tunes. One thing I find is overrated about them is how so many people say "they put on the BEST show!!!"

I've seen U2. I thought it was a very good concert, but I don't rate it at the very top of concerts I've seen. They were pretty cookie-cutter, and besides Bono, I don't think anyone in the band is considered one of the best at their position(instrument). They don't do any solos, no special visual effects, they play their songs exactly like they sound from the album...just didn't "wow" me. Hey, but people are dropping well over $100 a ticket to see their upcoming show here.

The Who put on a kick-ass show, there was a ton of energy from them and the crowd, sound awesome.

Tool is absolutely amazing. Maynard has a great voice with a lot of range, they have who may be the greatest drummer in rock today, and the bass player is pretty sick too. They have a lot of visuals at the shows, contortionists on stage, weird images on the backdrop, ect. A lot of talent.

I couldn't compare U2 to their shows. But, they do have a great catalog.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 10:26 am
chocolate jim wrote:
U2 definitely are not overrated...Bono does have an air of pretentiousness to him, but Joshua Tree and War are both so amazing...they have earned their respect. As for bands that ARE overrated, I would have to say Green Day. How many 3 chord variations can one band churn out to such critical appraise? Granted, I hear American Idiot finds them switching up their style, but still... they are the poster boys for the anti-bush movement, which is just embarassing. Radiohead is pretty good but immensely overrated as well. anyways let me plug a band that is UNDERRATED: THE SUPER FURRY ANIMALS! aaahhh now that is one band that isn't bound by one genre, they are amazing. i digress.

I agree that Green Day is overrated BUT...

3 chords were enough for the Stooges and the Ramones, the two most kick ass bands ever in my opinion. Did anyone see the recent Ramones documentary "End of the Century?" Kind of gives you insight into what was appealing about punk in the 70s, when dipshits like Emerson Lake and Palmer were wearing sequined jumpsuits and playing three hour solos on an electric Mongolian mindharp (okay, so that's a made up instrument). Then Iggy Pop comes along with sharp, loud songs that sound like a gang of greasy mechanics going out for hamburgers in a beat up convertible, stripping rock down to its basic form--THREE chords and a backbeat.

Think of The Kinks early tunes, like "You Really Got Me." TWO chords and woah! That song rules.

I do wonder though if Green Day should be the ones getting on a soapbox.

On that note, I do think OK Computer was a political album that still rocked, got a message across without dumbing it down or making it too obvious. Funny, I was talking to George Saunders (author) after a reading and he was saying how Radiohead is like the new Styx or Supertramp. I had been joking about those 70s prog bands, but he swore that back then it was new and inspiring and they were forging new territory like Radiohead.

I'm still a Radiohead fan, but I'm not that Radiohead fan that doesn't understand why some people aren't big on their new stuff.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 01:02 pm
Kissco

http://www.bobaloorox.com/KissMov.html
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 09:11 pm
Springsteen
Rolling Stones
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 01:07 am
Eagles
0 Replies

SlyEnemy

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 11:23 am
The Beatles
Sex Pistols
Tupac
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 12:20 pm
The Miami Sound Machine.

Gloria Estefan was always trying to escape the huge rockin' shadow they cast.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 02:23 pm
I think most bands that hit worldly status like U2 and the Beatles could be considered overrated at some level.

Except Led Zeppelin. They're almost as good as N'Sync.
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 11:10 pm
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

"N'Sync" .....Now that's great comedy!......Er.....right? Confused
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 11:01 am
There's nothing funny about fresh ass beats an carefully sculpted facial hair.

I LUV N'SYNC!!!
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 05:30 am
How can I argue with that? Smile
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 06:18 am
You can't.

And if you needed convincing, I'd just bust out the New Kids Dance. Oh oh oh oh oh, I'm hangin' tough.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 07:06 am
U2 suck. Always have always will. Gaze at your own navels you mick bastards, and close the door while you're doing it.
0 Replies