Who are the Most Overrated Bands?

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 08:47 pm
Who do you think some of the most overrated bands/musicians are? They don't have to be current.

1) Tupac. I'm sure some people will strongly disagree, but I just don't see how he's held on such a high pedestal. Even on his greatest hits albums, there are tracks that never made the radio, and aren't that good. I think his death helped him a bit...

2) Kiss. If these guys never dressed like Raiders fans and put on an entertaining show, I can't see how they would have been nearly as successful. Seems like they sold an image, not quality albums.

3) This I'm not sure, because I like them so much: Nirvana? I think they put out some awesome music, and they were pioneers in a "new" sound at the time, and there was all around high talent in the band....but did Kurt's death help them out too? I don't think the MUSIC is overrated, but I think their name got a little bigger than it would have if they just broke up.

4) Any boyband/Britney Spears clone. Do I have to explain? Madonna did great at this, everyone else has been a joke.

5) Grateful Dead? Were these guys actually any good? I need input here.

6) Limp Bizkit. Hmm...some catchy tunes, and I've seen them put on a decent live show, but the music is very...simple.

I'm sure I'll add more as I think of them...what do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,939 • Replies: 55
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 08:49 pm
I would tell you who I thought was over-rated, but I don't pay attention to little details, of over-rated bands, like their names. All those current bands who get tons of airplay and sound like Eddie Vetter constipated.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 08:51 pm
Pearl Jam has been heavily ripped off, and so has Dave Matthews. John Mayer, Jack Johnson, it's like they signed up for the DMB fan club then got guitar lessons(even though I like their music).

Look at Creed. They got big at one point, and they sucked.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 08:59 pm
Pearl Jam is the best.

Grateful Dead...It wasn't about the music really. It was about the party and the hippy vibe at the concerts. My friend used to tell me this joke.

What did the deadhead say after the drugs wore off?

Damn, this music sucks.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:02 pm
That's like Jimmy Buffett. His music isn't nearly as good as the tailgating, which is unreal.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:03 pm
Oh, and I think Pearl Jam is underrated now. I hear so many people that say, "they weren't good after Ten, or Vs." Why is that, jackass, because that's the last time you saw them put a video on MTV? I think they're still putting out excellent music.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:07 pm
Gotta love those parrotheads.

Pearl Jam...I still love them. "Ten" is probably my favorite album of all time. I think they are still putting out good music, but I can understand the criticism. They peaked so early, and so strong, how could they possibly keep putting out records as good as Ten?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:08 pm
I have always liked Pearl Jam, musically and politically, but I've never once bought a CD of theirs. I'm bad that way.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:11 pm
Ummm...I'd like to interject if I may.

I have heard many a live recording, sadly never been an eye/ear witness, to the Dead and they were phenomenally talented. They could jam for hours and create music at the drop of the hat, in many, many different styles. They definitely deserve their well earned place in music history.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:14 pm
Pearl Jam--I have about ten of their CDs, including a couple of weird imported live ones...I was absolutely INSANE over them for a while.

Hmmm...most overrated bands...I can't think of any right now, but I will get back to this thread when I come up with one.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:19 pm
Well I've never listened to the Dead, just wondering because all I've ever heard about them is their shows.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:29 pm
I have a friend who has a broad (and very good) taste for music. He is a musician himself. I loves the Dead and thinks they're brilliant. He hates the whole hippie following aspect of the whole thing, but he thinks Gerry, et al, were geniuses.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 09:32 pm
Okay, I guess if you're into that improvisational jam stuff, then I can see how you might like the music. I liked it. I just liked the atmosphere more, that's all.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:08 pm
Most bands around today are overrated.

The Killers are way overrated. So are the White Stripes. And the Strokes. Not saying I hate everything by these bands, but it gets repetitive and annoying after awhile. And there were better versions of each of these bands 25 years ago.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:26 pm
My take, as a musician , on the Dead. I think long extended jams are overrated unless you're doing ecstasy; in which case a white noise loop would sound novel.
I think The Allman Brothers, when Duane and Berry were alive, were the most awesome jammers. Though their jams were well oganized and full of dynamics there was a lot of spontaneity too. I can recommend the double CD Live At The Fillmore, one of the most amazing live recordings ever put out.
The Dead on the other hand were fueled by hallucinogens and what not. Their music , for me, was a little more masturbatory with a lot of "camping out on the 12th fret"
There is one album,American Beauty, where they realized their potential and delivered an icon of American Rock.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:13 pm
I'm one of those who overrate the White Stripes...I love their music, and dig J.White's guitar playing.

And I have that live double cd by the Allman Brothers...it is very good.

Here's another overrated shmuck: Phil Collins. Does anyone actually like this guy?
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:19 pm
when he was in genesis he was good.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:24 pm
Right...back when. Can you blame him for schmoozing for the lucre?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:25 pm
U2
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:32 pm
Never bought anything by them. I hear "I Still Haven't Found(What I'm Looking For)" once a year and am satisfied.
0 Replies