Who are the Most Overrated Bands?

bigdice67

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:44 pm
I just wanna say one little thing about KISS:
the last fifiteen years may have been dreadful, but before that, man, dude, bubba, they made a big part of Metal as we know it today!

I actually had this discussion tonite, and we both came to the same conclusion... without KISS, Metal wouldn't be as colorful...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:50 pm
U2's a tough one. They've been around for a pretty long time now, and have fairly consistently put out top selling albums, hits, and haven't gone through breakups and other crap bands go through. They put on a pretty decent show, but I think the band rides on Bono's talent...meaning, you never hear "The Edge is one of the best guitarists in rock," for example.

But they are usually very hyped up.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:55 pm
I think The Edge is considered one of the best guitarists in rock. It's just that he blends in so well it's hard to pick out his talent.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 07:55 pm
The Police were cool but Sting on his own?

Please!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 08:06 pm
panzade wrote:
I think The Edge is considered one of the best guitarists in rock. It's just that he blends in so well it's hard to pick out his talent.

Maybe that's my ignorance? I've never heard anyone say that, and I can't remember hearing a U2 song and thinking "damn this guitarist is nasty." You're right though, guess he does just blend in.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 08:17 pm
A band's a band, and if it's good it's cuz they all blend in well with each other, otherwise it'd be Jazz if ya ask me...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 08:58 pm
I dig the first White Stripes Album. I like the single Jack does with Loretta Lynn. Haven't heard their collaborative album.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 10:34 pm
Don't like the Stripes but I love how Jack respects American music. He's a wonderful musician.
0 Replies

music-lover

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 02:46 pm
I REKON 50 CENT, I NO IT'S BANDS BUT I DON'T RELE PAY ATTENTION 2 THEIR NAMES BUT I REKON IT'S GOT 2 BE 50 CENT! Exclamation
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 02:53 pm
Guess what R&R band had more gold records than anybody else?

Anybody guess KISS?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 07:51 pm
Rolling Eyes

and your point is

gold records mean you sell a lot of records, grammy's mean you sell a lot of records

neither one means the music is any good

don't get me wrong, i have a certain spot in my heart for some of the early kiss songs, but i really dislike that gold record/grammy argument
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 10:14 am
I wasn't arguing, just stating a fact. Nugent doesn't really like Kiss either, yet he's toured with them.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:13 pm
Did anyone see the SNL skit on the White Stripes as dectectives? They never solved any crimes because they'd always be in the middle of songs when the cops called and would have to finish playing before they left to work on the robbery! Really funny.

I never really cared for the Dead. I liked other bands of their era better, like Country Joe and the Fish, the Fugs and those Chicago bluesmen that my menopausal brain has forgotten.

While I enjoy the song, "Margaritaville," I find Jimmy Buffet's story -- he declared a double major at East Mississippi State (history and journalism), but, because he was already performing in a local bar and writing songs (that's how he paid his tuition), he felt his life would be a lot better if he could take music theory. The school for wouldn't let him take the class because music classes were only for music majors. Sometimes, schools keep students from learning.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:33 pm
I didn't see that SNL skit...was it the actual White Stripes, or were they playing them?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:38 pm
plainoldme wrote:
While I enjoy the song, "Margaritaville," I find Jimmy Buffet's story -- he declared a double major at East Mississippi State (history and journalism), but, because he was already performing in a local bar and writing songs (that's how he paid his tuition), he felt his life would be a lot better if he could take music theory. The school for wouldn't let him take the class because music classes were only for music majors. Sometimes, schools keep students from learning.

Interesting...
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 05:57 pm
... and somehow Metallica manage to get on my friggin' nerve when this discussion starts...
God knows I've tried to listen to their music I don't wanna know how many times, it's still a mystery to me that they sell more records than the friggin' Beatles almost...

Nah, you can't discuss taste in music or food... let it be!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:01 pm
I like "Margaritaville" too, as a a song and a place of consciousness.
Or...
Nemmind, and I wish they'd do more tailgating here in Germany!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:53 pm
Bigdice, you probably don't like heavy metal at all, do you? Metallica was very influential and had some great albums. Not to mention their live show is amazing.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:56 pm
I sometimes have Metallica playing as background music in the barn. It seems to increase milk production and has a remarkably soothing effect on the feral cats.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 07:01 pm
Gus, you should seriously consider playing some Ministry or Slayer, it's soothing effects are way beyond Metallica.
0 Replies