No Ginger in Ginger Ale?

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 01:10 pm
If mentioning ginger in the name, 'ginger ale,' is false advertising, and almond milk can't be called 'milk' because the liquid isn't derived from a lactating animal, does that mean Coca Cola has to change it's name since it doesn't contain coca leaves? Actually, now that I think of it, Coca Cola supposedly uses de-cocained coca leaves in its flavoring, so maybe they're covered. Does this mean ginger ales will have to do the same with ginger? And what about Milk of Magnesia?

Any other product names that have false descriptions that you know of? Will 'Mars bars' have to be renamed 'Earth bars?'

Sturgis

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 02:01 pm
@livinglava,
The Mars bar was started by a man with the name of Franklin Mars.

Ginger Ale at one point in time included flavoring from ginger root. Some brands may still do so. Similar to birch beer and root beer, ingredients have changed over time. The same is true of many sodas. Cost effectiveness, access to actual ingredients - these things change his a product is made.

Marshmallows are yet another example of a product an change has changed.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 02:08 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
Some brands may still do so.

Quote:
Canada Dry ginger ale says it's made with “real ginger” on the label. Chris Barnes, a spokesman for Dr. Pepper Snapple Group, which owns Canada Dry and Schweppe's (another brand of ginger ale), says the sodas do contain real ginger, but the company won't reveal how much to protect proprietary formulas.Oct 27, 2016

still best (I think) to get non-alcoholic ginger beer/root beer/birch beer as they still have the real/promised/advertised ingredients

(don't get organic alcoholic root beer - such a vile taste)
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 02:12 pm
@livinglava,
Goldfish crackers
Swedish fish
Fruity pebbles (on both counts).
Grape nuts (also on both counts)
Lady Fingers
Buffalo wings
Chicken fingers
Sweetbreads

roger

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 02:30 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Goldfish crackers

You claiming they don't have real goldfish in there?
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 02:42 pm
@Sturgis,
I doubt Franklin Mars came from Mars. Shouldn't his name be changed to Franklin Earth, then?

As for 'marshmallows,' what does that name even mean? Something called a 'mallow' that comes from a marsh? . . . wait, I just went ahead and googled it and a mallow is a flower; never would have thought that name meant anything at all. Thanks.

I wonder if Zebra cakes are going to have to change their name.
Sturgis

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 02:46 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
I wonder if zebra cakes are going to have to change their name.

Not as long as they have a zebra kiss and bless each cake package carton/crate.
livinglava

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 02:58 pm
@Sturgis,
They might get sued by Hershey's Kisses if they did that, as long as Hershey doesn't have to change that name because they don't contain any actual kisses.
0 Replies

Lady Lingiton

Reply Tue 31 Jul, 2018 11:44 pm
As I was saying to the 11th Earl of Sandwich and my very good friend Lady Sandwich just the other evening, it behoves one's sense of decorum and social responsibility to eschew involvement in the mundane household matters however when I overheard one of the servants refer to a repast of salmagundi as a "Salman Rushdie for her Highness" I felt it not quate rate, entitled to remonstrate, and ultimately rather peeved that there was no Scottish salmon in the dish whatsoever.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 01:29 am
No ginger? Okay, what about ale? Any of that, either?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 08:25 am

Quote:
You have to find the almond nip. Each almond has two.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 10:20 am
@livinglava,
From what I have read Coca Cola does still contain coca leafs

Quote:
While the modern-day recipe for Coca-Cola is a highly prized company secret, there is reason to believe that the beverage still contains the same non-narcotic coca-leaf extract that it did in 1929. According to The New York Times, the Coca-Cola Company was continuing to import coca leaves from Peru and Bolivia until at least the late 1980s.

https://www.livescience.com/41975-does-coca-cola-contain-cocaine.html
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 02:16 pm
@livinglava,
I never really thought Almonds leaked actual "milk". They should leave "Almond Milk" alone, and Ginger Ale and all the other stuff as well. They should focus their efforts on getting rid of homeopathic bullshit and herbal extracts which don't do anything except waste people's money and give them false hope.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 02:27 pm
@rosborne979,
I disagree with your term "waste money".

People (including me) will pay good money for a "false" hope... and be happy about it. And sometimes false hopes can do measurable good.

I have a mixture of herbs that I call my "placebo tea". I am quite sure that it shortens colds and gives me energy. It works because I know that placebos work as long as you believe in them, and I believe placebos work.
roger

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 03:12 pm
@maxdancona,
Well sure. If your problems are all in your mind, well, placebos sort of help your mind.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 03:44 pm
@maxdancona,
Not if this "tea" ends up actually harming you -- or someone forgoes getting proven medical help in place of this placebo.

There can be real life threatening consequences.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 1 Aug, 2018 04:14 pm
@Linkat,
Geez Linkat. One can do both, you know? Just because I drink tea when I have a cold doesn't mean I won't seek medical attention when I break a bone or have blood coming out of my ear. What's wrong with both talking to a doctor and using a placebo.

Placebos have been scientifically shown to improve a number of medical problems from headaches, to cold symptoms to erectile dysfunction.

When I was in Guatamala, I stayed with a doctor working with the Kiche indigenous people. They had a clinic. The people came expecting treatment even when there was no treatment was medically indicated. The doctors learned that they had to provide a bottle of vitamins to each patient with strict instructions on how they were to be taken.

The vitamins had no medical value, they were placebos. There was no cultural understanding of medical ethics... or what was expected of a doctor. There was a discussion among the medical people about whether this was ethical, the argument was that it improved the well-being of the people being served.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 12:56 pm
@maxdancona,
How would a placebo be of any use, if, you know it's a placebo?
rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 01:25 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

How would a placebo be of any use, if, you know it's a placebo?

You would think so, but amazingly, research has show that people exhibit placebo benefits even when they have been told it's a placebo. Crazy, huh?
Sturgis

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 01:31 pm
@rosborne979,
Quote:
Crazy, huh?

To say the least.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » No Ginger in Ginger Ale?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 06:42:20