No Ginger in Ginger Ale?

ehBeth

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 01:39 pm
@rosborne979,
I'd have to look it up again, but wasn't that , in part, because people thought they were told it was a placebo so they wouldn't know it was the real thing. Some kind of weird, internal, double fake-out was going on.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 02:26 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

How would a placebo be of any use, if, you know it's a placebo?

Why wouldn't it work. Placebos work because you believe in them. I believe that placebos work. Therefore placebos work because I know they are placebos.

It makes perfect sense.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2018 07:09 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I'd have to look it up again, but wasn't that , in part, because people thought they were told it was a placebo so they wouldn't know it was the real thing. Some kind of weird, internal, double fake-out was going on.

I don't think so, but I would have to look it up to confirm as well.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2018 12:41 pm
@maxdancona,
You believe a pill, which you know is nothing but sugar (or another useless item) works? How about a capsule filled with spring water? If I know it's worthless, it is not going to benefit me. It might be slightly different if there were at least a few genuine health-benefit pills in the jar or if I had no idea of what i was taking. Faith healing is something with legitimacy, that to a degree is why placebos work.

maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2018 12:54 pm
@Sturgis,
I am just talking about my personal experience. I can't get a placebo effect benefit from sugar, because that wouldn't make any sense since I eat sugar already.

I have found that things with funny names, like echinacea or valarian root work well. So do things that need to be carefully prepared or have a good back story. There are these oscillococcinum cold capsules they sell at whole foods. You are supposed to dissolve them under your tongue (the ritual is kind of fun... and the point) to make cold and flu symptoms disappear.

I have found these little buggers work for a variety of maladies.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2018 01:20 pm
@maxdancona,
That's all good max, but I don't view valarian root, Echinacea and the such as placebos. Those are things airboat beneficial history for many people. Whether or not they have been proven scientifically is of lesser importance than the word of mouth information which has been given. Homeopathic remedies exist. For many they work. Again, these to me are not placebos. A track record exists.
maxdancona

Reply Sat 4 Aug, 2018 01:39 pm
@Sturgis,
Quote:
Whether or not they have been proven scientifically is of lesser importance than the word of mouth information which has been given.

That is a pretty good description of a placebo. The fact that homeopathic remedies work does not mean that they aren't placebos. Placebos also work. They work because everyone believes they work... the "word of mouth" information is a key part of that.

Placebos have a pretty good track record for many people. So do homeopathic remedies. Whether this means they are the same thing doesn't really matter, does it, as long as they work.

livinglava

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2018 10:38 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
Whether or not they have been proven scientifically is of lesser importance than the word of mouth information which has been given.

That is a pretty good description of a placebo. The fact that homeopathic remedies work does not mean that they aren't placebos. Placebos also work. They work because everyone believes they work... the "word of mouth" information is a key part of that.

Placebos have a pretty good track record for many people. So do homeopathic remedies. Whether this means they are the same thing doesn't really matter, does it, as long as they work.
The difference is that you can be certain that a true placebo has not possible effect besides the psychological placebo effect. E.g. taking spring water is just drinking water, sugar capsules are just sugar.

With any kind of herbal remedy or homeopathy there are actually chemical compounds being ingested that are dissolving into the bloodstream/cells/etc. Whether the interactions between those compounds and the cell/tissue behavior is in any way relevant to the healing process is up for debate, but you can't automatically assume they have no effect, or that any effect they have is only psychosomatic, the way you can with a true placebo like a lucky charm or rain dance.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2018 04:04 pm
@livinglava,
Water and sugar are both chemical compounds. Sugar is ingested and dissolved into the bloodstream (water also ends up in the blood stream). Both sugar and water are integral to many biological processes including healing. I don't think homeopathic remedies are any different than sugar and water. They are just molecules that may or may not aid in solving a specific healing process.

The problem I have with sugar is that in my conscious mind, I know that I have sugar all of the time... meaning that adding a little more sugar doesn't convince my mind that it will do any good. The difference between 30g of sugar and 30.01g of sugar doesn't seem that significant.

Adding echinacea, on the other hand, does the trick. I normally have 0g of echinacea in my diet. Adding 0.05g of echinacea or pulsatilla or stevia or braxinia is significant... the exact molecule doesn't matter, as long as it is exotic sounding.

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2018 04:20 pm
@ehBeth,
A compilation of studies around the placebo effect.

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/7/15792188/placebo-effect-explained

toward the end (lotsa lotsa links in there)

Quote:
“About five years ago, I said to myself, ‘I’m really tired [of] doing research that people say is about deception and tricking people,’” he says.

So he wanted to see: Could he induce a placebo response even when he told patients they were on placebo?

His own randomized controlled trials found that giving patients open-label placebos — sugar pills that the doctors admit are sugar pills — improved symptoms of certain chronic conditions that are among the hardest for doctors to treat, including irritable bowel syndrome and lower back pain. And he wonders if chronic fatigue — a hard-to-define, hard-to-treat, but still debilitating condition — will be a good future target for this research.

“Our patients tell us it’s nuts,” he says. “The doctors think it’s nuts. And we just do it. And we’ve been getting good results.”

Kaptchuk’s work adds a few new mysteries to the placebo effect. For one, he says that the placebo effect doesn’t require patient expectations for a positive outcome to work. “All my patients are people who have been to many doctors before. They don’t have positive expectations about getting better,” he says. “They’ve been to 10 doctors already.”

Colloca has a different interpretation of his results. She says there’s a difference between belief and expectation, so while the patients may not believe the pill will work, they still unconsciously expect it to.

That’s because, she says, they still have a deep-seated conditioned memory for what it means to take a pill. They have a conditioned memory for what it means to be in the care of another person. And that memory is indeed an expectation that can kick-start the analgesic effect in the brain. They don’t have to be aware it’s happening.

Some doctors wonder if placebos can be integrated into mainstream medicine
The researchers I spoke to for this story are overall optimistic that these discoveries can be used in the clinical settings. There’s a lot of work left to do here, and certainly some of the findings are easier to implement than others. For instance, we could start with reminding doctors that they can relieve pain simply by being warm and caring to their patients.

Colloca wonders if the placebo effect can also be harnessed so that the millions living with chronic pain can feel the same therapeutic effects with a lower dosage of opioid treatments that are both ineffective and deadly.

The NIH’s Miller says it’s too soon to start prescribing placebos, or using the effect, to decrease the dosage of a drug. For one, most of these studies are short-term and conducted with healthy volunteers, not actual patients.

“There’s still lot we don’t know,” he says. Like side effects: Just as a placebo can mimic a drug, it can also mimic a side effect. “We haven’t done the kinds of studies that will indicate that you can maintain therapeutic benefit at lower side effect burden.”

More broadly, Kaptchuk says, for years researchers have seen the placebo as a hurdle to clear to produce good medicine. But placebo is not just a hurdle. “It’s basically the water that medicine swims in,” he says. “I would like to see the bottom line of my research change the art of medicine into the science of medicine.”

some bits in there go toward explaining why I've sometimes started feeling better once I get to the walk-in. before treatment/prescription or even seeing a doc
Sturgis

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2018 04:26 pm
@maxdancona,
Next you're going to say raw onions and garlic aren't really helpful.
(I for ome, know that they are. Raw onion opens nasal passages, refreshes the respiratory system and garlic helps lower cholesterol.)

What you need is some curcuma longa and a few other 'exotic sounding ' items from the zingiberaceae family.

Bottom line, if it works for you, then go ahead and use it. I do though question the eagerness to embrace sugar.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2018 04:28 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you for that ehBeth.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2018 04:30 pm
@rosborne979,
An old piece that references what I'd recalled. The timeline is right for my memory of it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2000/01/09/magazine/the-placebo-prescription.html

Quote:
A sugar pill is a pill with no medicine in it at all. I think this pill will help you as it has helped so many others. Are you willing to try this pill?'' Fourteen of the patients were convinced by this vaguely smarmy-sounding pitch (the 15th dropped out after her husband made fun of the idea), and after a week all reported ameliorated symptoms. Some thought the pill definitely was a placebo and some thought it must actually be an active drug, but either way, they had faith that the doctor was trying to help them, and they improved.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2018 04:31 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
You believe a pill, which you know is nothing but sugar (or another useless item) works?

there's interesting research on this - and it works

the weirdest (to me) is the fake surgeries that result in pain reduction
Sturgis

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2018 04:36 pm
@ehBeth,
A lot of medicine and medical matters are confusing to me. However, your earlier post which mentioned having faith in the doctor giving patients a placebo, resonated with me. (Strangest thing, faith healing worked on a horrible knee wound i had when I was about 9 or 10. Wound healed quickly - after months of not doing so. I still have the scar.)
ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2018 04:39 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
Faith healing is something with legitimacy, that to a degree is why placebos work.

one of the links I posted talks about this

___

Not for everyone, but I enjoyed this read on the subject.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2016/12/healing-science-belief-placebo/

I found this segment a bit crazy

Quote:
So how does the theater of medicine actually work? How does a belief literally heal?

One part of the puzzle involves conditioning, as Jensen has shown. Recall Pavlov’s dog, which drooled every time it heard a bell. That happened because Pavlov conditioned the animal to connect food with the sound. Scientists have been able to train the immune systems of rats by pairing sweet liquids with cyclosporine A, a drug that blocks the function of immune cells to keep patients from rejecting transplanted organs. Every time the rat has a sweet drink, it also gets the drug. But after enough trials, the drug is unnecessary: The sweet drink alone is enough to shut down the rat’s immune response.

The placebo effect’s conditioned response in reaction to pain is to release brain chemicals—endorphins, or opium-like painkillers—synthesized in the body. In the 1970s two San Francisco neuroscientists interested in how those internal opioids control pain made a discovery during an experiment with patients who had just had their wisdom teeth pulled.

The researchers first compared the response of a placebo group to the response of another group that received naloxone, a drug that cancels out the ameliorating effect of opioids. None of the subjects received or expected to receive morphine—and all of them felt miserable. Then the scientists redesigned the experiment, telling the patients that some of them would receive morphine, some a placebo, and some naloxone. No one, including the researchers, knew who would receive what. This time, some of the patients felt better, even though they didn’t receive morphine. Their expectation of potential relief triggered the release of endorphins in their bodies, and those endorphins reduced the pain. But as soon as they got naloxone, they were in pain again. The drug wiped out the action of the endorphins that the placebo response had released.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2018 04:43 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
However, your earlier post which mentioned having faith in the doctor giving patients a placebo, resonated with me. (Strangest thing, faith healing worked on a horrible knee wound i had when I was about 9 or 10. Wound healed quickly - after months of not doing so. I still have the scar.)

apparently a good kind bedside manner can make as much, if not more, of a difference than the actual treatment protocol

maybe this is one of the reasons that good med schools are adding more and more classes around how to work with patients. fewer cadavers, more real people to practice on
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2018 05:59 pm
@ehBeth,
It always feels a little weird when EhBeth sticks up for me... not that don't appreciate it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2018 01:34 pm
@maxdancona,
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/08/massive-recall-of-homeopathic-kids-products-spotlights-dubious-health-claims/
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2018 04:47 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Water and sugar are both chemical compounds. Sugar is ingested and dissolved into the bloodstream (water also ends up in the blood stream). Both sugar and water are integral to many biological processes including healing. I don't think homeopathic remedies are any different than sugar and water. They are just molecules that may or may not aid in solving a specific healing process.

The problem I have with sugar is that in my conscious mind, I know that I have sugar all of the time... meaning that adding a little more sugar doesn't convince my mind that it will do any good. The difference between 30g of sugar and 30.01g of sugar doesn't seem that significant.

Adding echinacea, on the other hand, does the trick. I normally have 0g of echinacea in my diet. Adding 0.05g of echinacea or pulsatilla or stevia or braxinia is significant... the exact molecule doesn't matter, as long as it is exotic sounding.

That's reasonable logic. An allergic reaction is an immune response. It makes sense that something that isn't usually taken but also isn't dangerously harmful could provoke a small allergic reaction that would boost immune response. It would be like a cat running in front of your vehicle provoking a braking response and thus sharpening your reflexes and making you more aware of your surroundings.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 09:31:02