Can some one here explain string theory/M theory etc using..

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 02:38 pm
...using analogies that even I can understand.

I read a decent bit on the topic and while I think I got the fundamental concept, all particles are tiny strings and vibrate like them creating a lot more than the 3 dimensions that we are familiar with, but only observable on very small scales, stuff like that.

I still don't quite understand how the theory came about, what if any it's applications are, and most importantly exactly what this string type vibrations actually mean with respect to the behavior of small objects.

Also is there some type of connection between matter and energy beyond E=mc2 that I'm missing but is implied by string theory?

Thanks ahead of time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 842 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 05:21 am
I think these strings exist in several dimensions at once. As many as eleven dimensions are required for M-theory to be true. I think it is like looking in a microscope. We know that our bodies are mainly empty space, but they appear solid to us.

These strings are points in our reality, and you will not see that they are strings unless you can see them from all dimensions at once. When distances become incredibly small, einsteins relativity no longer fits with the description of space. Space becomes grainy, like an over magnified newspaper picture, and here M-theory comes in and says that these graines are really strings in tiny loops. After all, if you imagine a straight line, and then one point on it, can you really define the start and beginning of that point? Think timeline.

An experiment. You are looking at a box from one side. You are positioned so that you can only see the side closest to you. The object is two dimensional as far as you're concerned.
Now, when you move, you discover that the box has a volume, and you discover the third dimension.

Now, since we are all familiar with boxes and depthperception we would call it a cardboard sheet when we saw it, and a cardboard box when we noticed the volume.
0 Replies

superjuly

Reply Wed 9 Mar, 2005 07:33 am
I think that you guys would like to see this if you haven't already done so. I saw it a while back on the PBS channel and I have actually already mentioned it here on a2k.

The first part of Chapter 8 questions this theory as being either science or philosophy. Hmm... let me see if I get it right.

They don't know, but they say that it may or may not be true. And if they think really hard then maybe, just maybe, one day (who knows when) they'll come up with something that will prove them right. This string theory sounds more like "agnostic physics" to me.

Here's the analogy: it is just like trying to find God. He may or may not exist. People only hope so and most of us will die trying to figure it out without succeeding - just like most of these scientists with their theories. They hope to be right.

It's interesting to read what these guys are talking about but it all seems to be followed by question marks and ellipses. I'll probably die before any of it is unravelled, sooooo... I don't bother trying to understand it.

I just think it's kweel. Cool
0 Replies

g day

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 05:03 am
I would expect no, but folk here certainly can:

http://www.advancedphysics.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=13

in particular try this thread:

http://www.advancedphysics.org/viewthread.php?tid=1519

http://superstringtheory.com/basics/basic4a.html
0 Replies