If God is all powerfull, can he create a rock he couldn't...

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 12:05 pm
here's a question that monks used to ask each other then debate the answer for days on end and end up giving up so lets see if you can answer it.

IF God is all power full, CAN he create a rock he couldn't lift?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 843 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 12:07 pm
Yes...no
Yes...no
Yes...no

My sister...my daughter...my sister...my daughter

<slap>
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 03:31 pm
It's a paradox, as we all know. Any concept of God as an omniscient being outside of reality that can will things into and out of existence and can manipulate that physical reality will not work. God is Truth, which is not matter, but the concept that gives matter meaning.
0 Replies

Rancid

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 03:42 pm
"My sister...my daughter...my sister...my daughter "

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 04:04 pm
I always wondered why God didn't know Lucifer was a traitor. (They told us in the church I went to -- the Church of Christ -- God knew everything.)

Was God a little bit gullible? Too trusting? Did God put His faith in the wrong hands?

Why isn't Heaven backstab-free? When we all get to Heaven, will we have to watch our back? Or did God learn from His mistake and clean up the place after Lucifer left?

And how is it that God makes mistakes, anyway?

How many "angels" did Lucifer convince to go with him and betray God? (I used to know this number and I am sure some bibliophile will post the answer.) When we get to Heaven, will we be faced with such choices? Me, I'd stick with God, because you know, he's God and all, but one could certainly make a convincing point that Lucifer has done very well for himself by rejecting and betraying the one true God.

By the way, why did God create the Devil? Didn't He know he would turn out bad? For that matter, why did God create evil? (There's some BS about man having a choice, I know...)

Why punish mankind for all eternity because Eve couldn't keep her lips off the apple? Doesn't it seem like God could forgive after all these millenia? Would Eve, like Lucifer, be considered another oversight on God's part?

What kind of God allows His Son to be nailed to a cross in order for the sins of his creation to be absolved? Isn't that more than a little sadistic?

Like George W. Bush, Lucifer has an approval rating of almost 50 percent. Why can't God convince more people that good is better than evil?

Is God a Democrat?

Why did God allow the angels who left with Lucifer to profit by rejecting and betraying Him? If you can't trust your fellow angels in Heaven, who the hell can you trust?

(I have other questions, but that'll do for now.)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 04:05 pm
It's not a paradox; it's a stupid question. First, one must find the answer to "is there a god?"
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 04:44 pm
Pretty good questions there PDiddie.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 04:45 pm
Speak of the Devil...
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 08:45 pm
Rancid wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA

http://home.online.no/~cehan2/smiley/KneelSuckers.gif
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 11:28 pm
This paradox, as the Sleeper has already indicated, is waaay older than the hills. I once heard a Christian give an answer which impressed me by its simplicity. This Christian said: "God has already created such a rock. It is called the human heart which refuses to let God in. Others call it Free Will. God could make Himself known to everyone, but, because He has given us Free Will, we must invite Him in before He will come."

Please do not misconstrue this as a fervent declaration of faith on my part. I just thought it was a pretty good answer.

These sorts of questions are no more than head-games. Those ancient monks must have had way too much free time to be coming up with questions like how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Asside to PDiddie: Who said God didn't know that Satan was going to betray him? It was all part of the plan, according to some sources.
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 11:37 pm
Merry-

That's what I said a while ago on another thread.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=501374#501374
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 11:41 pm
Adrian wrote:
Merry-

That's what I said a while ago on another thread.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=501374#501374

Ah, so. I didn't realize there were two threads on this identical subject. (Great minds etc...)
0 Replies

Adrian

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 11:46 pm
Laughing

That ends with "and fools seldom differ" doesn't it?
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 11:36 am
The statement is an illogical statement. The obvious answer is no which means that he can create any rock he wants which still makes him all powerful.
0 Replies