Must there be a base article of matter?

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 09:18 pm
Recently, in discussing the string theory with a colleague, we had a dispute on whether or not there must be a base particle of matter, 100 percent of a particular particle (like a string). He said that everything must be broken down, but I disagree. What are some of your thoughts.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,508 • Replies: 42
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 05:32 pm
I didn't think strings were particles, I thought they were standing waves of energy, but maybe I'm loopy.

Anyway I tend to think the nature of matter is beyond our ken at the moment. We're sort of like the creatures in Flatland that come across a 3-D object for the first time.

So I guess that makes me a fence sitter.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 07:21 pm
Augustus De Morgan wrote:

Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,
And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum.
And the great fleas themselves, in turn, have greater fleas to go on;
While these again have greater still, and greater still, and so on.

Lewis Fry Richardson wrote:

Big whorls have little whorls,
Which feed on their velocity;
And little whorls have lesser whorls,
And so on to viscosity
(in the molecular sense).
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:19 pm
Re: Must there be a base article of matter?
Jazzfreak13 wrote:
Recently, in discussing the string theory with a colleague, we had a dispute on whether or not there must be a base particle of matter, 100 percent of a particular particle (like a string). He said that everything must be broken down, but I disagree. What are some of your thoughts.

There are no particles. There are only fields.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 10:13 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Jazzfreak13 wrote:

Can you show me a reference for this? Thanks.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:07 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Jazzfreak13 wrote:

It's just my opinion Brandon.

After watching physics break down the various particles into smaller and smaller units over the years, and after watching the math we use to describe such things move toward loops of compacted dimensions instead of points, and after listening to QED tell us about uncertainty, I simply decided to anticipate that single conceptual units (points) probably don't exist, and instead the Universe is composed of tightly packed semi-discrete fields which only behave like points depending on how you observe them.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 03:55 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Jazzfreak13 wrote:

After watching physics break down the various particles into smaller and smaller units over the years, and after watching the math we use to describe such things move toward loops of compacted dimensions instead of points, and after listening to QED tell us about uncertainty, I simply decided to anticipate that single conceptual units (points) probably don't exist, and instead the Universe is composed of tightly packed semi-discrete fields which only behave like points depending on how you observe them.

Well, you know there are people who have devoted their entire careers to studying QED, and it would be kind of odd for all of them to miss it for several generations, and someone not in the field to get it intuitively without any real mathematical derivation. Furthermore, you didn't present it as a suspicion, but as a known fact.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 10:34 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Jazzfreak13 wrote:

Well, you know there are people who have devoted their entire careers to studying QED, and it would be kind of odd for all of them to miss it for several generations, and someone not in the field to get it intuitively without any real mathematical derivation. Furthermore, you didn't present it as a suspicion, but as a known fact.

I didn't mean to mislead you Brandon. I'm sorry. Most of the time my posts are based on standard theory or reasonable deduction on my part. But sometimes I prefer to give a more evasive, yet thought provoking answer. Do you know for a fact that my answer is incorrect?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 11:43 pm
Quote:
I didn't mean to mislead you Brandon. I'm sorry. Most of the time my posts are based on standard theory or reasonable deduction on my part. But sometimes I prefer to give a more evasive, yet thought provoking answer. Do you know for a fact that my answer is incorrect?

The photoelectric effect proved that all electromagnetic waves are composed of quantized particles. I highly doubt that waves are composed of particles...which are composed of more waves! That would be an infinite cycle! The entire concept of quantum mechanics seems to hinge around the concept of quanta!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 02:03 am
rosborne979 wrote:

I know for a fact that it is not the existing theory, haven received two degrees in Physics and never heard this in a class. There is a pretty universally held division of the universe into matter and energy. Perhaps you can find a qualified citation echoing your opinion.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 09:20 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
I know for a fact that it is not the existing theory, haven received two degrees in Physics and never heard this in a class. There is a pretty universally held division of the universe into matter and energy. Perhaps you can find a qualified citation echoing your opinion.

Well, String Theory for one. Strings are not particles, and are supposed to be wrapped around folded dimensions.

And here's something which sounds interesting, but I'm not sure exactly what he's talking about: http://www.lns.cornell.edu/spr/2000-03/msg0023379.html
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 02:53 am
I have a naive personal theory with no justifiable position also.

I think that space/time/energy is all there is. Matter is composed of infinately reducable densities of energy and that spacetime is also energy. There is one uniform "thing" of which all exists.

I deduce this from:

(i) the behaviour of spacetime and light in the presence of matter ie. gravitional reaction.
(ii) the seemimgly endlessly divisable nature (and increasingly difficult to define properties) of matter.
(iii) E=mc^2
(iv) That all are assumed to have come from a singularity.

What are the biggest flaws in my theory? (Please no more than 100)
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 03:59 am
...and just for the record, the topic question itself seems more fun if you do it in the "Chandler from Friends" voice.

"Must there BE a base article of matter !?!?"
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 06:51 am
Eorl wrote:
What are the biggest flaws in my theory? (Please no more than 100)

The biggest flaw, unless you have something you're not showing us, is that it appears to have been derived intuitively rather than strictly and mathematically. This is a topic in which enough work has been done that you can't really come in and just render an opinion as though there were no pre-exisiting work and expect to be right, any more than I could build a skyscraper without studying stress and strain and many other things that are already known.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 09:06 pm
I disagree...mostly.

I feel free to speculate here. Correct me if I'm out of place, I am a newbie after all, but it's not like I'm sending my submission to New Scientist.

Also, was it not Einstein that said imagination is by far the most important factor?

I developed a theory about 12 years ago that planetary magnetic fields could be caused by differences in the rotation of a planets core with respect to the rest of the planet, because it was the only way I could explain the occasional reversals of polarity. I hadn't read anything about the generally accepted cause and I'm still not sure because I'm not committed enough to research it, but that doesn't stop me having the idea in the first place.

My point is, I think too much knowledge can get in the way of a good imagination and especially when it comes to generating NEW ideas in the tradition of centuries past as opposed to furthering the current data with a slighlty more accurate measurement of the width of a quark.

(Having said that, I did study science at university level, and I could not be more devoted to the strict application of the scientific method so I am perhaps not as ignorant as I seem)

Finally, and by way of clarification, I think many of the biggest ideas in the history of science were "derived intuitively rather than strictly and mathematically" and then the research and the maths have been done to see if the facts support the theory. I would go so far as to say it is the BETTER way, since the other way keeps you within the boundaries of current theory.

What say you Brandon9000 ?

Oh, and can you see how my theory does not fit with the present sum of universal knowledge? I'd still like to know.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 10:34 pm
Eorl wrote:
I disagree...mostly.

I feel free to speculate here. Correct me if I'm out of place, I am a newbie after all, but it's not like I'm sending my submission to New Scientist.

Also, was it not Einstein that said imagination is by far the most important factor?

I developed a theory about 12 years ago that planetary magnetic fields could be caused by differences in the rotation of a planets core with respect to the rest of the planet, because it was the only way I could explain the occasional reversals of polarity. I hadn't read anything about the generally accepted cause and I'm still not sure because I'm not committed enough to research it, but that doesn't stop me having the idea in the first place.

My point is, I think too much knowledge can get in the way of a good imagination and especially when it comes to generating NEW ideas in the tradition of centuries past as opposed to furthering the current data with a slighlty more accurate measurement of the width of a quark.

(Having said that, I did study science at university level, and I could not be more devoted to the strict application of the scientific method so I am perhaps not as ignorant as I seem)

Finally, and by way of clarification, I think many of the biggest ideas in the history of science were "derived intuitively rather than strictly and mathematically" and then the research and the maths have been done to see if the facts support the theory. I would go so far as to say it is the BETTER way, since the other way keeps you within the boundaries of current theory.

What say you Brandon9000 ?

Oh, and can you see how my theory does not fit with the present sum of universal knowledge? I'd still like to know.

If you have some background, then at least you know the method. Einstein did say that about imagination, but he also had a PhD in Physics, and his theories were derived extraordinarily formally with mathematics, e.g. his most famous paper, "The Electrodynamics of Moving Bodies."

You can talk about anything you like on the board, but if you want to be right about cosmology, you have to derive your results step by step with math. Yes, Einstein imagined the viewpoint of a light wave, but then afterwards he did a very formal and disciplined mathematical derivation.

You are not a particularly bad offender in this regard, but many people advance very specific physics theories on the board, with no training, not even self-education, often theories that contradict things that are pretty well established, and don't seem to comprehend that you can't just walk into physics and act as though nothing at all has been done yet. There is a difference between thinking oustide the box and merely being ignorant (not referring to you). I think that the odds of doing a successful brain surgery on a sick person without studying medicine are extremely low.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 10:43 pm
Thanks Brandon, you are right and I probably should be setting a better example.

The thing is I wasn't just being belligerent, my point was actually serious.

Surely someone here DOES have a PhD in physics and CAN explain where my theory is weak. I would like to be disabused of my wacky notion quickly if it is already proven false.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 02:19 am
...and to take up your analogy, I probably could come up with 10 possible methods of removing a brain tumor other than the conventional method and I might just come up with something useful that the doctors had never thought to try. That is more analogous to what I have attempted here. Do you agree?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 07:31 am
Eorl wrote:
...and to take up your analogy, I probably could come up with 10 possible methods of removing a brain tumor other than the conventional method and I might just come up with something useful that the doctors had never thought to try. That is more analogous to what I have attempted here. Do you agree?

I agree with you Eorl, especially on a discussion board such as this one, I feel more flexibility to explore ideas and to listen to other opinions, rather than to try to submit a strict scientific thesis. However, Brandon has a point as well. Even if we are free to speculate, and even if we have at least *some* idea of how things work, we are very unlikely to strike upon an idea which the experts have not considered. And in areas such as cosmology, or even physics, without the ability to express in idea in math, we are many times not even able to format our ideas with enough precision to ask for a reasonable evaluation.

It's really unfortunate, because like you, I think I understand many concepts visually in a general sense, and have often thought that I may realize things which others haven't, but since my math skills are beyond pitiful, I can't really explain things well enough to ask many experts what they think.

For example, years ago I deduced that Gamma Ray Bursts were probably caused by collapsing stars which were forming black holes. Several years after that a leading scientists wrote a paper on the origin of GRB's from something he called a "collapsar" (pretty much the same thing I had pictured, although I was unable to describe a "collapsar" with enough accuracy to make my case). I also realized that cosmic expansion was occuring at atomic dimensions as well as cosmological dimensions, and was able to confirm this with a conversation with an astronomer at Cornell. Likewise, I asked another astronomer if the collective spectrum of a galaxy could be used to deduce the overal matalicity of the various stars in that galaxy, and therefor what generation of stars were dominant. I spoke with a grad student on this and she said they had considered it, but not used it. Several years later I have seen research papers which use this exact method for estimating galactic ages.

At present, I have a theory for Inertia, and have posted it online here, but unfortunately, I don't have the math skills to describe my ideas accurately enough to ask anyone (any professionals) to evaluate it.

Anyway, those are just some examples of how close a lay person can come to finding things which experts sometimes overlook.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 07:34 am
Eorl wrote:

No, not really. Doctors all over the world have been looking at the problem of brain tumors for a long time, and some of them are people who have performed hundreds of surgeries. The odds of someone totally ignorant of the subject outsmarting everyone are pretty low, and even if you did, I was talking about you, yourself performing the surgery with no knowledge of medicine, or diagnostic instruments.
0 Replies