The definition of Faith

Rancid

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 06:01 pm
"... 1. Confident belief in the truth, value, or trustworthiness of a person, idea, or thing.
2. Belief that does not rest on logical proof or material evidence. ..."

From http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=faith

Just thought I would post this and see if anyone has any thoughts on it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,897 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Derevon

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 06:53 pm
That's one possible definition. However, there is a kind of faith that is very different from mere strong belief as described in Hebrews 11:1 in the Bible:

Now Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

A kind of indescribable certitude which is entirely separated from the intellectual understanding. Supernaturally perceiving something to be true independently of the rational faculties.
0 Replies

Rancid

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 07:11 pm
"A kind of indescribable certitude which is entirely separated from the intellectual understanding. Supernaturally perceiving something to be true independently of the rational faculties."

Personally, I think there may be (or have been) a living entity that created the known universe. This however is not based on supernatural perception, rather on the fact that dispite all logical efforts to define or explain 'existance', I cant do it. Therefore I must be open to the concept that anything may be possible. The concept of supernatural perception is beyond my comprehension.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
0 Replies

Derevon

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 07:34 pm
Personally, I have felt the presence and Love of this "entity" and experienced "its" reality in a supernatural kind of way, without any doubts whatsoever. It's beyond my comprehension as well, but it simply doesn't matter, because I could "feel" the Truth in it, and no one could convince me that it isn't real, because this experience is much more real to me than that which I perceive with my bodily senses.
0 Replies

Rancid

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 08:04 pm
Thanks for your responses, I am entrigued. The human mind is an amazing thing.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 09:16 pm
"It ain't supposed to make sense; it's faith. Faith is something that you believe that nobody in his right mind would believe."

-- Archie Bunker.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 1 Mar, 2005 11:07 pm
Faith is what some people fall back on when reason and logic don't give them the answers they wanted.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:31 am
Logic is held in a box.

Faith isn't boxed in like logic. It has the ability to think outside.

I see faith as hope.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 10:49 am
I see logic as hope.

It was faith that brought us the Inquisition, the Jonestown suicides, and the bloody conquest of the Americas.

At times when faith is used in service of llogic, good things have happened. Martin Luther King and Ghandi are both men who appealed to faith, but logic was at the core of their movements.

Faith without logic is a very dangerous thing. The 9/11 attacks showed us this once again.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 10:33 pm
Hello BlueMonkey

There are many ways of thinking "outside the box", creativity and imagination pop to mind...logic is not the opposite of faith, in fact some here argue that their faith is the direct result of logic. (Although most admit to the odd "leap" of faith when the logic fails).

I see hope as hope, and I've got plenty of it.

I see faith as faith, and, to be honest, not a big fan of it.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 11:29 pm
Forsaking
All
I
Trust
Him
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 06:59 am
Hyping
Up
Seriously
Kooky
Evangelical
Religion

?
0 Replies

Thalion

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 06:22 pm
The defintion I generally use is:

"Consent to a proposition of dubious credibility."
0 Replies

Rancid

Reply Sun 6 Mar, 2005 02:41 pm
When I was young I once asked a Presbyterian Pastor regarding the trinity doctrine: "If Jesus is God, why did he say when he was dying on the cross, 'Father, why have you forsaken me?'" He replied: "You must have faith."

Faith fills in the gaps I guess. I find it quite frustrating trying to reason with people on things that involve faith.

Anyone have any thoughts on 'supernatural perception' as previously mentioned by Derevon?
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 04:40 am
I would love for such a thing to be possible but James Randi's million bucks on the line effectively dismisses everything for me.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 11:34 am
Believing in something ideal without evidence.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 05:05 pm
I think faith is arrived at just as you reach the end of your rope and all you can do is tie and knot and hold on....
0 Replies

Rancid

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 06:14 pm
I agree Lady J.

I think faith is a contradiction is some ways because if God created us and wants us to have 'faith' in him, why did he give us logical reasoning ability? Faith is believing without logical reason.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:07 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
I see logic as hope.

It was faith that brought us the Inquisition, the Jonestown suicides, and the bloody conquest of the Americas.

At times when faith is used in service of llogic, good things have happened. Martin Luther King and Ghandi are both men who appealed to faith, but logic was at the core of their movements.

Faith without logic is a very dangerous thing. The 9/11 attacks showed us this once again.

It was not faith that brought you Jonestown it was a very persuasive man. That is not faith that is coercion.

Too much logic is a very dangerous thing. 9/11 shows you the power of persuasion not faith.
0 Replies

BlueMonkey

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 02:16 pm
Lady J wrote:
I think faith is arrived at just as you reach the end of your rope and all you can do is tie and knot and hold on....

Your statment comes from lack of hope.

Just know this, that God is faithful, even when you don't have faith yourself.

Mike Herrera of MXPX

I have faith in God similar to how I have faith in the sun. Not because I can see it, but because I can not see without it.
0 Replies